Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hglk

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2009
Utah, USA
Hey Tim, I'm actually pretty serious, if it doesn't ship with 2GB of RAM, I'm not buying it.

As long as Apple continues to care more about Tim getting a new mansion, and appeasing Carl Ichan types rather than my user experience, I'll keep getting a competitor's product.

Don't be salty. Right now you look like a whiny little kid that won't stop yelling until he gets what he wants. If you don't like it don't buy it. They're not for everyone. And they don't HAVE to do anything just for you.

Last edited:

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
I was hesitating over getting a new iPhone to replace my 4S. But the 6 just wasn't quite thick enough. And it had to retain the Home Button otherwise its no deal. At last Apple are innovating again and doing what the people want. Thicker phones. Home Buttons retained. At last someone is listening!

Reactions: jimbo1mcm

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Wow! We are moving into a retro phone with the home button. I guess they are going to wait until Sept 2016 to introduce a phone without a home button, using the screen for the fingerprint. Now that would be worth getting. Not interested in an S in any way.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Just a few things to say.
First, I feel like I'm the only one who knows that the thickness is measured at its thickest point. Meaning the camera. This render specifically says 7.1mm, which is enough to accommodate a camera with a sensor size equal to the 6/6 Plus and OIS. so I don't think that we will see a protruding camera this time around.
Second, I'm not sure if it was due to thickness, but with the iPad 2 to 3, the battery size increased by 66%, while thickness only increased by 7%. From the Mini to Mini 2, the battery increased by 46%, while thickness increased by 4%. This could mean a great deal for the iPhone 6S.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Just a few things to say.
First, I feel like I'm the only one who knows that the thickness is measured at its thickest point. Meaning the camera. This render specifically says 7.1mm, which is enough to accommodate a camera with a sensor size equal to the 6/6 Plus and OIS. so I don't think that we will see a protruding camera this time around.
Second, I'm not sure if it was due to thickness, but with the iPad 2 to 3, the battery size increased by 66%, while thickness only increased by 7%. From the Mini to Mini 2, the battery increased by 46%, while thickness increased by 4%. This could mean a great deal for the iPhone 6S.
I don't know if we'll see a protruding camera this time (seeing as how competitors are now somehow proud when they decrease pixel size to 1.0um in order to fit cameras into extremely thin phones), but in both of those cases, battery size increased mostly due to the demanding retina displays. My guess is that we'll probably see the new iPhones having battery sizes around 2,000mAh for the iPhone 6s and 3,100mAh for the iPhone 6s+.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Don't be salty. Right now you look like a whiny little kid that won't stop yelling until he gets what he wants. If you don't like it don't buy it. They're not for everyone. And they don't HAVE to do anything just for you.

You do realise iOS 8 does not play nice with 1gb of ram? Resulting in the iPhone freezing at times.

Given the iPad Air is already missing out on functionality to iPad Air 2 due to 2Gb of ram..... I frankly see no point in getting a iPhone 6s with 1GB of ram.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
You do realise iOS 8 does not play nice with 1gb of ram? Resulting in the iPhone freezing at times.

Given the iPad Air is already missing out on functionality to iPad Air 2 due to 2Gb of ram..... I frankly see no point in getting a iPhone 6s with 1GB of ram.

If your iPhone is freezing, I think there might be a bigger problem than "not enough RAM". You might want to get that looked at.

Reactions: Zxxv

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Honestly, my observation is that cases are a very declining trend. At least around here I hardly ever see anyone using a case anymore. I never understood why anyone would use a case anyway. Seems completely nonsensical and neurotic to me.

Well, for me the reason to have a case on my iPhone is to protect it from the inevitable drop and/or water damage. If Apple made a rugged & waterproof iPhone, then I'd be happy to drop the case, but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
If your iPhone is freezing, I think there might be a bigger problem than "not enough RAM". You might want to get that looked at.

So here lies the problem. Been to the Genius Bar three times, and they have looked at the logs and three times they have concluded memory issues.

It freezes between 5-20 seconds before recovering.

Reactions: 5105973 and macduke

haganah

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2003
There is a Micro-C, a C and a lightning, and a 30 pin. You will not have the same plug on a phone you have on a Mac, though not sure why, but might on a Pad. Samsung/LG use micro-USB (2).

Why would you not have it on the phone?

Never heard of USB Micro C, and why will we never have the the same connectors on a Mac as on a phone. There are already rumours of phones that have USB C and there are already macs with USB C.

I don't get it either.

What? There is no usb micro c....

Iphone uses Lightning atm.
Android devices micro usb ( not c )

Both will most likely vanish in the next few years. Every 2016 flagship will feature usb-c. My guess is iphone 7 too.

A usb c port on a mobile device is the same as the one on the new macbook.

One port to rule them all.

This is my fear. A new port/plug is actually a really big deal and you would think if that's where they are headed they would either indicate it so we all know or just put it in ASAP so fewer users will be impacted.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Forum users: Apple, stop making the iPhone thinner! Focus on improving the battery life, making it faster, etc.

Apple updates the iPhone to be 0.2mm thicker.

Forum users: I CAN'T BELIEVE Apple would make the iPhone THICKER. ZOMG not buying EVER.

Normal people: Do I have an upgrade available? If yes buy iPhone, if no don't buy anything.

Reactions: 5105973 and MH01

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
A little thicker is good.

The Home button is the first thing to fail on all of our iOS devices that have had problems. Getting rid of it would be no loss. Fortunately there is an alternative software version:

Settings App
General
Accessibility
Assistive Touch - ON

This creates a home button on the screen which can be moved around and positioned where you like. Saves throwing away an iPodTouch or iPhone that is otherwise useful but just has a dead Home button.

Reactions: 5105973

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Hopefully they can manage to add OIS to the regular 6 with this thickness increase.

That was my first thought as well. It's one of two things I would miss about the Plus, the other being the battery life. Although I do like the idea of a bigger screen, it just doesn't work for me in practice.

Apple making the flagship phone thicker? It's official guys, it's the end of the world.

iPhone 3g was a bit thicker than this change. I even preferred it as it was more comfortable to hold with the rounded shape. I'd love to go back to the rounded iPhone back. They could even use a stepped battery like in the new MacBook and if they centered the camera they could use the extra center thickness to hide the bump and maybe even include a larger sensor.

Just thought about the iPad 3 after reading the article. Last time Apple went thicker they created a bastard product that was replaced 6 months later. :-/
More the reason to skip the 6S I think.

That they replaced with an iPad of the same thickness? It was the crappy A5X that sank the 3rd gen iPad retina. The iPhone 3G was thicker and ended up being a great enclosure for the 3GS as well.

.2mm is the thickness of 2 sheets of copy paper. You may notice it slightly but the majority of people will not. Apple will NOT increase the battery size because of this. It would not be cost effective to re-tool the line for an "S" release. Any major changes will happen with the release of the iPhone 7 in 2016. The camera ring will change then if any changes to it were to happen. Major redesign is not in the plans on an S model. Not sure why people would assume that. It's the same every year.

Apple regularly makes small external changes to S models, such as different antenna break positions, new color options, and a pretty big one with Touch ID. As for increasing the battery size, you're forgetting that the iPhone went from 1150 mAh in the 3g to 1220 mAh in the 3GS and 1440 mAh in the iPhone 5 to 1560 mAh in the 5S. The iPhone 4 and 4S were nearly the same, but the 4S was slightly bigger by like 10 mAh. So it's quite possible.

The 3GS had silver text *splitting hairs*
The CDMA iPhone 4 had symmetrical antenna breaks, but no SIM tray.
Also the 5S had a pill-shaped flash, as opposed to a circular one.

The 5S also came in Space Gray instead of that slate black and added a gold color option.

Are you saying he's OCD ?

ThatsTheJoke.jpg

I don't know if we'll see a protruding camera this time (seeing as how competitors are now somehow proud when they decrease pixel size to 1.0um in order to fit cameras into extremely thin phones), but in both of those cases, battery size increased mostly due to the demanding retina displays. My guess is that we'll probably see the new iPhones having battery sizes around 2,000mAh for the iPhone 6s and 3,100mAh for the iPhone 6s+.

I hope so, especially as I'm planning on moving down in size from a 6 Plus to a 6S. Three things could contribute to better battery life: iOS 9 power efficiency, A9 processor using a small process which would use less energy, and slightly more physical volume due to consolidated and smaller chips combined with a slightly thicker enclosure, although Force Touch and Taptic Engines could make that not quite possible. I suppose a fourth option could be better battery technology but we haven't heard much on that front so I doubt it.

So here lies the problem. Been to the Genius Bar three times, and they have looked at the logs and three times they have concluded memory issues.

Yeah the 6 Plus is definitely a lemon. I've owned every iPhone except the 5S/C and regular iPhone 6 and the 6 Plus is by far the worst one I've ever used when it comes to general bugginess and crashing. And this is coming from a guy who ran iOS 8 beta on an iPhone 5 before upgrading. Yeah. I've looked at the memory logs in Xcode and it does use quite a bit more memory than smaller screened devices. I don't think the interface scaling is helping it out either. What crashes me out a lot is rotating my phone to watch a video. It dies just trying to rotate the video and scale it back down properly, lol. What a piece. Can't wait to get a 6S with a smaller screen and more RAM. I have no such problems on my iPad Air 2 and love having extra RAM in it to keep things loaded!

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Yeah the 6 Plus is definitely a lemon. I've owned every iPhone except the 5S/C and regular iPhone 6 and the 6 Plus is by far the worst one I've ever used when it comes to general bugginess and crashing. And this is coming from a guy who ran iOS 8 beta on an iPhone 5 before upgrading. Yeah. I've looked at the memory logs in Xcode and it does use quite a bit more memory than smaller screened devices. I don't think the interface scaling is helping it out either. What crashes me out a lot is rotating my phone to watch a video. It dies just trying to rotate the video and scale it back down properly, lol. What a piece. Can't wait to get a 6S with a smaller screen and more RAM. I have no such problems on my iPad Air 2 and love having extra RAM in it to keep things loaded!

Good to know someone else feels the pain also (in relation to what I am talking about). People keep telling me on MR to get it replaced, no point , as you said it's a bit of a lemon, the replacement will suffer from the same issue. Really looking forward to 2GB model, cause frankly it's a crap experience, tempted to go back to the 5s, but battery is the problem there lol

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

I'd try to get a manager or something, because I can't think of a single time my entire phone froze because of a memory issue. It froze because of beta software, yes, but that's to be expected. The iOS 9 beta 2 Music app is, well, bad.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I'd try to get a manager or something, because I can't think of a single time my entire phone froze because of a memory issue. It froze because of beta software, yes, but that's to be expected. The iOS 9 beta 2 Music app is, well, bad.
Do you own the iPhone 6 plus? That is the only phone I have had issues with, my 5s is fine.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Already started:
New and faster dual core A10, 10 nm process
30% Thinner
Lighter
Revolutionary iOS 10 with innovative clean all notifications button [EDIT: Our Buggiest Release Ever]
Superb 12 mp camera
Incredible 1080p screen
2 GB of RAM
Less battery life

Don't forget the removal of the home button! It's going the way of the scroll wheel...

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen

2 GB RAM is widely anticipated.. Also possible is sapphire screen for the iPhone 6S.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Apple did acquire technology to combine the screen with the TouchID. This could mean that they will eventually eliminate the home screen, but who knows. I think that if they did that, they could increase screen real estate without increasing phone size. And IMO, that would be a good thing - any bigger and we will be talking on our ipad mini's.

I doubt they raise the screen size. If anything, smaller bezel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.