Push Gmail when connected to wifi

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by haddman, Sep 30, 2008.

1. haddman macrumors regular

I've noticed this AM that Gmail seems to arrive instantly while I was connected to wifi. I have mine set to fetch at 1 hr, with push turned for exchange. Also noticed Gmail arriving on its own while on EDGE here at work about five mins or so after receiving it in my inbox here on my pc, I'm not manually fetching, it's but fairly consistently I am getting the mail notification sound, I turn the screen on and bam, new gmail. Something is going on, anyone else expierincing this today?

2. 10dulkar macrumors member

sent an email to my gmail account, and received it 1 minute later on the iphone!!! i agree - something is going on...

quick question - how do i change the notification for an incoming email? right now, it vibrates once - can i change that?

3. haddman thread starter macrumors regular

You can make it vibrate and play the sound at the same time.

4. haddman thread starter macrumors regular

Woo hooo!!! Just did another test from a yahoo account to my gmail...sent at 10:44, and boom, hit the iphone at 10:47...I'm loving it...I hope this keeps up, this is what gmail users have been waiting for!!

5. Cyclone Chris macrumors regular

Are you guys using GMAIL as a IMAP account? or using the iPhone GMAIL pre-configured settings?

6. haddman thread starter macrumors regular

I'm using the default IMAP settings.

7. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

You sure it's not just fetching at coincidentally the exact right time?

8. haddman thread starter macrumors regular

I have been doing it all morning, like I said I'm set to fetch on an hourly basis, and I'm not even touching the phone. I sent messages from both my work and Yahoo account on my desktop at 9:16, 9:24, 9:41, 9:43, 10:12 and 10:44 am and they all came in to my iphone with the audio alert sound within less than 5 mins. Like I said I noticed it this AM early as I kept getting email alerts, I would assume they were from my exchange account, but would have nothing there, and low and behold they were coming for my GMAIL. Belive me it's noticable to receive email more often when your are used to it only coming in every hr or so.

9. 10dulkar macrumors member

i have been doing the same thing - sent about 4 messages, and received all within minutes...i have it set to check messages every 30 mins...

10. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

Mine has been doing this for over 6 months... nothing new.

11. acousticbiker macrumors 6502

Are all experiencing this using IMAP or anyone using the default iPhone GMail settings?

12. 10dulkar macrumors member

default settings - i did not change anything...

13. acousticbiker macrumors 6502

Anyone getting this effect without selecting scheduled fetches (manual retrieval)?

14. juice831 macrumors member

I use manual also and sent an email to myself to test it out, hopefully it works

update: it's been 8 minutes and nothing, i use default IMAP settings

update: 15 min and nothing, turned on fetch every hour, we'll see if that does anything

15. acousticbiker macrumors 6502

Using manual retrieve, I'm getting 'push' Gmail as well (seems like less than a minute to me). juice831, check to see if you have IMAP enabled within Gmail. Now if we could only get a unified Inbox!

16. juice831 macrumors member

I have IMAP enabled on the gmail settings and I still didn't get the e-mail until i opened the application. I'll try it again

update: when I e-mail myself from my mail client it doesn't push but when I mail myself from the gmail page it does. I also had my brother e-mail me from his phone and it pushed as well!

17. mcnicks macrumors regular

You guys that are getting instant notification, are you leaving the Mail application running when you turn off the iPhone display? Or are you quitting Mail, returning to the home screen, then turning off the display?

18. haddman thread starter macrumors regular

I am exiting to the homescreen, and waiting for the email icon to indicate new messages and receiving the audio notification. the only recent change that I have done to my gmail is disable POP. I had IMAP enabled ever since I had the original iPhone, and of course the new 3G which a got on launch day. Also using the defualt iphone settings for Gmail.

19. ElBerserko macrumors member

You should sleep it so the screen is off and make sure it is unplugged from any power source. In this situation I have not been getting notification for my emails at all since the 2.1 update thanks to Apple's new battery saving 'features'.

20. juice831 macrumors member

I am exiting the application, returning to the home screen, then turning off the display and I am getting the notifications

I get e-mail notifications when my phone is on sleep and unplugged. My only problem is that the e-mail doesn't push when in manual fetch mode

21. jcapz macrumors member

Just tried it myself and yes it does work...thanks for the info...it probably has been able to do it but just haven't noticed it. Does this mean that it would work with the new beejive app without having to use the mobileme since its pushing emails?

22. acousticbiker macrumors 6502

I notice that the OP has an Exchange account. I do also and it appears that the Gmail seems to be 'pushed' when the Exchange account pushes something.

23. haddman thread starter macrumors regular

yes, I have also noticed that Gmail is sometimes "pushed" or "fetched" whenever I receive a push notification for exchange. Although this morning it seemed to update my gmail inbox even when I wasn't receiving new email. However the last couple of hours, since about 12 noon it seems to have returned to normal, meaning only fetching every hr or so. I wonder if Gmail was testing something new this AM.

24. acousticbiker macrumors 6502

That's been my experience exactly. Hopefully this was testing and we'll see official push soon! Although another poster mentioned that they've had this behavior for the last 6 months?

25. jcapz macrumors member

i just tried it and its still doing it..ill get the email maybe 4 to 5 minutes later...hope it stays that way