Puzzled - two iphone 4's, new retina display??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajnicho, Aug 17, 2010.

1. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

Hi

This may sound like a bit of a thick statement but I got my iPhone last week, it's a week 31 build, it has a bit of a yellowish tint on the screen compared to my dads who get his launch week.

When comparing both side by side, the display on his is a lot clearer than mine, I cannot see a single pixel. However on mine they are visible, not individual pixels but more like horizontal bands when changing the viewing angle. How is it possible to see them on one iPhone but not the other? Could it be a cheaper display, the yellow tint making them more visible or a fault?

2. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

3. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

You got a fake…or it's a fault. Without a photo to compare it's hard to say.

4. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

5. ajnicho thread starter macrumors 6502a

I thought it may have been the screen protector so i took it off. It's hard to show on a photo because it's only just visible to myself. The camera is also slightly blurry compared to my dad's. Very strange?!

It can't be a fake though, I bought it from the Apple Store.

No, i wouldnt say so Craig, it doesnt seem to blotchy. The whole screen has a yellowish tint - but I'm not sure whether that's related to the pixel problem.

6. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

just take it into the apple store to get a replacement

7. hmillhouse macrumors newbie

I thought I was going mad until I saw this thread!

My screen also has these odd fine horizontal lines all over, it's like looking at an old CRT monitor close up.

Other IP4s have beautiful glossy graphics but this looks slightly fuzzy - like the refresh rate is wrong. It's also the least yellow IP4 screen I've seen (almost blueish).

Week 32 phone. Factory 86.

8. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

How do you decipher this info?

9. ajnicho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah that kind of explains it better than I have. Could be something to do with the refresh rate. I could have swore I've noticed it flicker ever so slightly as well.

10. hmillhouse macrumors newbie

First 5 digits of serial number apparently. Could all be lies, but first two = factory, third = year, 4th and 5th = week.

11. kre62 macrumors 68000

Yellow screen = defective screen. Take it back and get it replaced ASAP.

12. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

No, it's not. I have two iPhone 4s. Launch unit that one could say is yellow tinted and another one I got a month later that one could say is green tinted. Which one displays white as more white? The yellow tinted phone.

Also most Apple Stores won't exchange your iPhone / replace your screen for minor differences in white balance or color temp.

13. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I've seen mine flicker like 3 times now, but it was rather late and I just assumed my eyes were playing tricks on me. I also agree with you on the horizontal pixel issue, I see them on mine as well (week 30) but not on my next door neighbors which he got on launch day.

But also, back in June I got my 3GS switched for a new one because of some issues I was having with phone, and as soon as I got it replaced I notice it doing the same thing (horizontal pixels). This was back in June and I know my previous 3GS model didn't do that before, but again, I assumed that maybe I had just never noticed it before.

Now this thread makes me feel like I'm not the only one.

14. ajnicho thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm going back anyway to swap it for 16gb, i'll let you know if the new one is the same.

15. hmillhouse macrumors newbie

Please do let me know what they say!

I'm nervous exchanging for this reason, i've had several before (issues such as dead earpiece speaker, non responsive home button, and multiple dead pixels on screen).

Almost at the point of being fed up with the iphone4, despite apple upgrading me from 16gb to 32gb for free to apologise for the issues.

16. ajnicho thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's not a bad deal - I think you'd be hard pushed to find a genius to swap it for this reason, it's not as if its really obvious - for me anyway, but it definitely isn't right.

17. dark55 macrumors member

Haha, I thought I was crazy as well about the horizontal line issue. I just got a replacement iPhone 4 the other day, and when I got it home I noticed that occasionally I see horizontal lines, mostly around text. My old screen was flawless. It was week 30, and my replacement is a week 28.

Does anyone else have this problem? I'm thinking I'll have to make another trip to the Apple Store to get a replacement.

18. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Yeh the horizontal lines don't sound like they're supposed to be there at all. The screen should be perfectly clear, like a finely printed page.

19. dark55 macrumors member

It almost looks like a computer screen displaying interlaced content. I've tried to get other people to notice it on my iPhone 4, but so far no one does. Maybe I really am just crazy. Hehe :rolleyes:

20. hmillhouse macrumors newbie

That's exactly the problem I have. I posted above describing it as like looking at an old CRT screen. Interlacing describes it better!

Also, it seems to be more visible in some lighting conditions. In low light or pitch black, it looks perfect?!

I'd feel insane babbling about it at the Genius bar and I'd prefer not to lose jailbreak. It's just a tad disappointing to upgrade from 3GS for the new screen & find it with issues.

21. dark55 macrumors member

Yeah, I feel the same way about going to the Apple Store and telling a genius about it, haha. They were nice enough to replace my last phone with battery issues despite the diagnostics reading, "normal". So I would feel bad/embarrassed for returning another phone with issues they may not see.

I'm going to wait and see if it corrects itself somehow. It seems like it's actually getting better. Maybe I'm just getting used to it, or as you mentioned it's not as noticeable in the dark and it's night now here. If you find a reliable way of reproducing the issue, please let me know. I can't replicate it well enough to show other people to check my sanity :rolleyes:. I think I notice it more when my eyes focus from one part of the screen to another.

I'm not sure how the restore from backup works with jailbreaks, but the replacement I got came with 4.0 installed. I would assume that there are very few replacement phones that already have 4.0.2 installed on them.

22. ajnicho thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can only see it in certain lighting conditions myself and some times I can't even see it at all

Yes. I can see it when I change my focus to another part of the screen

I can't see mine fixing itself to be honest. As soon as they have stock of 16gb, I'm going back to Swap. Judy gutted I won't be able to jailbreak

23. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Is it not the touch grid people are seeing?

You can see a fine grid of lines in certain lighting conditions.

It doesn't affect the screen quality though (no fuzziness and such).

24. hmillhouse macrumors newbie

I know what you mean, but it's definitely not the touch sensitive grid (in my case anyway)

25. Becky Austin macrumors member

This is a characteristic of mobile screen technology. Look at some other mobile screens sometime. The Palm Pre does it, the PSP does it, a lot of other mp3 players (including Apple iPod) has this issue.

There are some that do not show the issue or only show it by a very small amount... I don't know if those are just lucky builds or if they took their time on those or what. I'm not really sure how they calibrate those screens.

I wish every iPhone screen was exactly the same, but the sad truth is that they are not. It's the same way with any screen really.

Do the lines disappear when you hold your phone really still?