Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajnicho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
No becky. It still shows when still. This is definitely not a charateristic of every phone. Ice not seen this on any phone I've ever owned

ViperJPB

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2010
I just got my first shipment iPhone 4 replaced yesterday for a camera issue and I am noticing the same screen issue mentioned here. I compare it to my wives and it's clear that this screen is slightly sharper and the horizontal scan line effect is present. Thinking about exchanging again, anybody with this issue exchange theirs and actually get it fixed or was the same issue present in the exchanged phone? Curious if this is a hardware issue with later model iPhone 4's.

ajnicho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
My new one is fine, doesnt have the same issue. However I returned for a refund and rebought it. I didn't want to go through the hassle because I know they wouldnt be able to see it.

iUser4Lyfe

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
Please do let me know what they say!

I'm nervous exchanging for this reason, i've had several before (issues such as dead earpiece speaker, non responsive home button, and multiple dead pixels on screen).

Almost at the point of being fed up with the iphone4, despite apple upgrading me from 16gb to 32gb for free to apologise for the issues.

Amazing someone could give 100$ and your fed up..

ViperJPB

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2010
My new one is fine, doesnt have the same issue. However I returned for a refund and rebought it. I didn't want to go through the hassle because I know they wouldnt be able to see it.

Good to hear! I may just try to exchange again because I'm not sure if getting a refund and re-buying it would still let me get the new contract price tag and not cause activation issues. I have noticed that it comes and goes....let it sit for awhile and then unlock and look and it's there and the next time it may not be. Certainly a glitchy hardware issue.

hmillhouse

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2010
Amazing someone could give 100$ and your fed up..

Sure. But it wasn't $100. It was a defective 32gb rather than a fully functional 16gb.

Anyway, glad the OP ended up with a perfect phone. I'm just putting up with my weird interlaced screen until next JB.

ajnicho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Good to hear! I may just try to exchange again because I'm not sure if getting a refund and re-buying it would still let me get the new contract price tag and not cause activation issues. I have noticed that it comes and goes....let it sit for awhile and then unlock and look and it's there and the next time it may not be. Certainly a glitchy hardware issue.

Exactly right, some times I couldnt see it at all and i thought it was just my eyes messing me about. It's so more visible in brighter conditions.

Sure. But it wasn't $100. It was a defective 32gb rather than a fully functional 16gb.

Anyway, glad the OP ended up with a perfect phone. I'm just putting up with my weird interlaced screen until next JB.

Yep. I've had to forgo my JB for the time being. Hope they come up with a JB for 4.1 and don't leave it til November when they release 4.2

ericschmerick

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2004
Yeah I saw the same thing with two phones bought at exactly the same time through the apple store. As someone else pointed ou, minor variations in color balance are normal for screens, so unless it's really bad I wouldn't worry about it. I can only notice it if I have my wifes phone right next to mine. No big deal to me.

ViperJPB

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2010
Sadly I am way out of the 30 day window for a refund. So I am going to have to convince some Apple Genius kid that I'm not crazy and there are horizontal lines and get me my 2 replacement phone. Sooo annoying.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
The left side of my screen has a blue cast whereas the right side is more red/yellow. Has anyone else seen variation like this on one unit, not from unit to unit?

ViperJPB

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2010
So I returned my phone and got another exchanged....stayed for awhile in the store to make sure....then came home and suddenly saw the lines again...super faint...but still there! Now I don't know what to do!? I want a phone with out the lines but now I'm starting to wonder if the most recent batch of these phones has some slightly different hardware in there that is causing this. It's so subtle. On both phones that have had the lines now, they were both a lot sharper then my first phone with the perfect screen, and my wife's. The text and imagery is very much sharper then on the "smooth" screened first wave...not to mention the white point is different as well.
Not sure if I want to go in with my head down for a 3rd replacement!? What do you think?

ajnicho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
So I returned my phone and got another exchanged....stayed for awhile in the store to make sure....then came home and suddenly saw the lines again...super faint...but still there! Now I don't know what to do!? I want a phone with out the lines but now I'm starting to wonder if the most recent batch of these phones has some slightly different hardware in there that is causing this. It's so subtle. On both phones that have had the lines now, they were both a lot sharper then my first phone with the perfect screen, and my wife's. The text and imagery is very much sharper then on the "smooth" screened first wave...not to mention the white point is different as well.
Not sure if I want to go in with my head down for a 3rd replacement!? What do you think?

It's entirely your decision mate. My one definitely has no lines and it's a very recent build. I've had mine exchanged about 7 times in all as I wouldn't accept anything less than perfect for £600

Amino Man

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
I have the same horizontal lines on my screen too. They seem to go away after the phone has been in use for a little while and "warms up". However, I have to put the screen 3 inches from my eyes to see it and that's a very uncomfortable distance, so I normally don't see them. I'm just going to live with it because it's not noticeable unless I strain myself to see this. By the way, my first launch day iPhone 4 did not have this issue, but I returned it because of the reception problem.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
I've heard that the display on the new iPod Touch with the RD display is lower quality than the iPhone 4. Is it possible that these displays are also making it to the new iPhone 4 batches?

Amino Man

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
I've heard that the display on the new iPod Touch with the RD display is lower quality than the iPhone 4. Is it possible that these displays are also making it to the new iPhone 4 batches?

Nope. The iPhone is using an IPS display and the iPod touch does not.

Trust me, I saw an iPod touch 4G a couple of days ago and the viewing angles are terrible. Nothing like my iPhone 4 screen.

neprow

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2010
I thought I was nuts

I returned an iphone 4 to the mac store for an unrelated issue, and was given 3 new phones. ALL THREE HAVE THIS FLICKERING... my wife and other friends have iphone 4 no flickering. This must be a faulty lot. thank goodness I found this forum, because I truly thought I was going nuts. I am also quite surprised that this is the only thing that shows up discussing this problem. I must say that the mac store has been wonderful to me, or there is an internal memo telling them to keep us happy and keep this quiet

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca
Just because someone else has the same problem doesn't mean you're not crazy. ;)

I returned an iphone 4 to the mac store for an unrelated issue, and was given 3 new phones. ALL THREE HAVE THIS FLICKERING... my wife and other friends have iphone 4 no flickering. This must be a faulty lot. thank goodness I found this forum, because I truly thought I was going nuts. I am also quite surprised that this is the only thing that shows up discussing this problem. I must say that the mac store has been wonderful to me, or there is an internal memo telling them to keep us happy and keep this quiet

Take note of the above quote.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
didn't happen with my launch iPhone either.

Replaced it once. replacement apps crashed all the time (even stock ones with restore). Replaced again. This one seems fine except I see the horrizontal lines too from changing angles and in bright lights too.

I've done swaps on just about every iPhone i've had (all gens). There is a difference in the quality of the screen across the board. always has been.

I almost want to swap it but not worth it considering I'll probably get iPhone 5 and it's not that big of a deal. More importantly I don't want to try to convince a genius that there's an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.