Pwnage tool OR blackra1n ??????

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by yiannos9, Nov 26, 2009.

1. yiannos9 macrumors member

hi guys,

i have an iphone 3gs that needs to be jailbroken and unlocked.
    which method would you use? the pwnage tool 3.1.4 or the blackra1n software and why?

what are the advantages and disadvantages of each solution?

i think many people are confused about the choice they have in regards to jailbreak and unlock the 3GS.

thanks

2. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

They both accomplish the same thing. People make too big a deal about this. It ain't brain surgery. Pick one and run it. I've used both of them to jb. blackra1n is quicker and simpler, but neither solution is complicated for anyone who can follow simple instructions.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Pwnage, a bit longer procedure, but it does it right.

4. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

This is a perfect example of a post that creates confusion. They both work, I know because I have used both of them. People have issues with both. :rolleyes:

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I would use PwnageTool to jailbreak and then install either ultrasn0w (for baseband 04.26.08) or blacksn0w (for baseband 05.11.07) to jailbreak.

Even if you decide to jailbreak with blackra1n, I would recommend installing Cydia and using Cydia to install blacksn0w rather than installing it from the blackra1n app. People seem to have more luck installing it from Cydia.

They both work, but I have heard of far fewer problems with PwnageTool'd phones than with blackra1n'd phones. And I would point out that the OP asked which method [we] would use. I have personally done PT + blacksn0w and know it works well, so I recommend it.

6. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

I've used both and I recommend both. I've never had a problem with either of them and for someone to state one of them 'does it right' and thereby implying the other one 'does it wrong' is irresponsible.

blackra1n has the advantage of not requiring a restore of all your data, music, etc. when you're done jailbreaking.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Some say they have random signal drops and signal flunctuation with blacksnow unlocks.
    Im sticking with 04.26.08 and ultrasnow for the moment.

8. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

The simplest solution is to use blackra1n since it's the quickest. If you don't have any issues, great. If you do (you probably will not), the use the pwnage tool. With either solution, back up your iPhone, including contacts, music, data, etc.

9. jason221 macrumors 6502

Pwnage Tool didn't work on my week 41 3GS, but Blackra1n did (and it's an untethered jailbreak, too). Blackra1n takes about 5 seconds; PwnageTool takes 10 to 20 minutes from my experience.

10. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Which does not include the restore time of your data.

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

However, only one gives less headaches. Besides, I was asked what I used, I said Pwnage and why.

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Also, if you have Windows, you have no choice. Pwnage Tool only works on Macs.

13. yiannos9 thread starter macrumors member

does somebody know when there will be a windows version for pwnage tool?
    its a bit unfair for windows users i think.

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Apparently never. As far as I know, there's never been a Windows version of Pwnage Tool. Windows users have always had to use alternate methods, such as quickpwn, redsn0w, and now blackra1n.

15. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

MuscleNerd said on Twitter that they're actually working on porting PT to Windows now.

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Really? Wow. What prompted this change?

17. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

They said that with fewer and fewer iBoot exploits meaning the need for PT is greater than ever they felt the tine was right for a multiplatform version. It's actually going to be Windows/Mac/Linux.

18. yiannos9 thread starter macrumors member

do you know when they will finally port PT to windows?

19. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

They are doing it right now. They don't give release dates.

20. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

You are in a Mac forum and using an Apple product! You've experience the awesomeness of Apply product so GO GET A MAC!

21. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Hey! Just because we like iphones/ipods doesn't mean we are all equally impressed by Mac/OS X! :D

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I know huh :D
    Im loving my Windows 7 and have no plans on switching to MacOS

23. bozeefus macrumors member

well, if u use blackrain, you will end up with only tethered jb according to:

http://thebigboss.org/guides/purplera1n-guide/

----------

however, it seems pwnage tool requires you to start with 3.00 software first and u must install custom firmware if u want to get anything above 3.00. if u use any official apple firmware above 3.0, then your baseband gets updated and u will be forced to use blackrain to get unlock.

please correct me if i am wrong. i only gathered this from what i've read. i have not done any jb-ing yet.

24. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

How do you know this since you didn't use blackra1n?

Too bad you didn't just say this and not the rest of your uninformed opinion.

"...but does it right" was the drivel, since, by your own admission, you didn't use blackra1n. Nice try.

25. yiannos9 thread starter macrumors member

how can this be when its said that blackra1n gives a tethered jailbreak?
    if blackra1n gives untethered jailbreak as you mention then blackrain rules!!!
    but from the other hand are you sure of this?