Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bl0ckHe1d

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2009
Caledonia
Some say they have random signal drops and signal flunctuation with blacksnow unlocks.
Im sticking with 04.26.08 and ultrasnow for the moment.

i hear you Applejuiced!! Been riddle with problems since the update from 04.26.08 to 05.11.07 and i refuse to use blacksn0w (because i do not need to!)

Best to stay where you are until the dev team revise a solution (if they do!)

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
How do you know this since you didn't use blackra1n?

Too bad you didn't just say this and not the rest of your uninformed opinion.

"...but does it right" was the drivel, since, by your own admission, you didn't use blackra1n. Nice try.

Wat? Honestly, is your purpose to attack someone else o help others? Now, yes, I've used blackra1n and it did cause headaches.

However, I never knew you were me to know so much of what I use!

Point2G

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2009
I'm a computer nut so I researched this very question and found that while both had complaints both had mostly success. I also wanted the most stable and properly functioning JB possible. Having used quickpwn in windows with great success for a 2G, I trust DevTeam. Geohot is awesome and has made an incredible tool for windows. But I am old school and want to do it myself with a fresh manual setup of all my apps and data. I have no access to a modern osx mac so I actually had to build my own Hackintosh so I could load Pwnage 3.1.4 for Mac. Mind you it must be and Intel mac (not ppc) and running itunes 9 for 3gs (which is nice and fast for aps and backups). I loaded iatkos 5i on my acer 3690 and after many very late nights I even updated to 10.5.8!! Took about TEN tries to finally restore to my custom.ipsw! I've loaded it up with all the goodies now and it's load and nearly as stable as fast as my stock 3.1.2 but not quite.. I'll trade that for cydia..

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
how can this be when its said that blackra1n gives a tethered jailbreak?
if blackra1n gives untethered jailbreak as you mention then blackrain rules!!!
but from the other hand are you sure of this?

If you have recently purchased an iphone you may have a new bootrom which means pwnage is out.

If you dont have a mac....pwnage is out.

I recently posted the same question and while most thought blackrain was the best choice...I disagreed for the following reasons:

1. Blackrain is causing WIFI issues to surface
2. Blackrain requires you to install the unmodified 3.1.2 OS which also upgrades the phones firmware

I wanted to preserve maximum flexibility in the phone as well as resale value.

If you have a mac...then pwn. Otherwise your only choice is blackrain. If you have a new iphone with a new bootrom you will get a blackrain tethered JB meaning each time you restart the phone you will have to connect it to a computer and run Blackrain to reinstall/activate the jailbreak.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
well, if u use blackrain, you will end up with only tethered jb according to:

http://thebigboss.org/guides/purplera1n-guide/

----------

however, it seems pwnage tool requires you to start with 3.00 software first and u must install custom firmware if u want to get anything above 3.00. if u use any official apple firmware above 3.0, then your baseband gets updated and u will be forced to use blackrain to get unlock.

please correct me if i am wrong. i only gathered this from what i've read. i have not done any jb-ing yet.

I started from 3.0 on a 3GS...I think 3.0 or 3.0.1 are ok, but once you go to 3.1.x you have a new baseband and pwnage will not work.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
To the OP - blackra1n has worked for 1,000s (if not tens or hundreds of thousands) of people based on the hits on geohot's site. Forums are much more likely to attract people who had problems and, as this thread shows, much more likely to attract people who are looking to drop a dime on one solution and when challenged, claim to have used them both.

As I said earlier, try blackra1n, odds are it will work.

bozeefus

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2008
To the OP - blackra1n has worked for 1,000s (if not tens or hundreds of thousands) of people based on the hits on geohot's site. Forums are much more likely to attract people who had problems and, as this thread shows, much more likely to attract people who are looking to drop a dime on one solution and when challenged, claim to have used them both.

thanks, i agree with what you say. however, i do have a question. are you aware of any issues when installing apps under the tethered jailbreak?

if you are not familiar, in the earlier days, when the ipod touch 2nd gen had only tethered jb, it was difficult getting some apps to install. (like backgrounder)

do u know if such issues exist for this blackrain tethered jb?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
thanks, i agree with what you say. however, i do have a question. are you aware of any issues when installing apps under the tethered jailbreak?

if you are not familiar, in the earlier days, when the ipod touch 2nd gen had only tethered jb, it was difficult getting some apps to install. (like backgrounder)

They are there.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

They are there.

What specific issues have you come upon? I've had the blackra1n tethered jailbreak since it first came out, and have yet to find a jailbreak app that I had trouble installing. Granted, I'm conservative about what I install, but I have winterboard, backgrounder, kirikae, sbsetting, lockinfo, to name some of the major jailbreak apps I've installed. I think winterboard and perhaps backgrounder required a reboot, making me run blackra1n again. But whenever I had to reboot, blackra1n worked without a hitch.

If anyone is wondering about blackra1n, I strongly suggest they give it a try. If it doesn't work, you can always restore / try pwnage tool.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
You do realize that if your blackra1n jailbreak is tethered, your PwnageTool jailbreak will be, too?

Come to think of it, does Pwnage Tool even work on devices with the new bootrom? I don't remember if a new release of Pwnage Tool came out after the bootrom revision.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007

The number of hits means nothing. Blackrain requires to load the new OS first. If the JB does not work, folks just reload the OS and go on their way. This is why we dont hear about more grief.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
just my experience

blackra1n did not work right for my 3gs early release model not sure why. made it rain etc everything appeared fine cydia was there etc but no jb apps worked for me. tried redoing it again noting I tried this on both the pc and mac version of blackra1n. so I went to Pwnage Tools worked perfect. I am not dissing blackra1n just saying it might be a matter of which works best for you. ;)

bozeefus

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2008
What specific issues have you come upon? I've had the blackra1n tethered jailbreak since it first came out, and have yet to find a jailbreak app that I had trouble installing. Granted, I'm conservative about what I install, but I have winterboard, backgrounder, kirikae, sbsetting, lockinfo, to name some of the major jailbreak apps I've installed. I think winterboard and perhaps backgrounder required a reboot, making me run blackra1n again. But whenever I had to reboot, blackra1n worked without a hitch.

If anyone is wondering about blackra1n, I strongly suggest they give it a try. If it doesn't work, you can always restore / try pwnage tool.

hi night spring. as a buyer of an iphone 3gs refurb that may potentially contain the newer bootrom, do u find it to be a hassle having the option of not turning off the iphone? have there been instances where u were left stranded because your iphone had turned off? what is the frequency of this occuring? thanks!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
hi night spring. as a buyer of an iphone 3gs refurb that may potentially contain the newer bootrom, do u find it to be a hassle having the option of not turning off the iphone? have there been instances where u were left stranded because your iphone had turned off? what is the frequency of this occuring? thanks!

Well, I actually have the tethered jailbreak on my ipod touch, not an iphone, but since I first used blackra1n, back when it first came out, I've never had my ipod touch reboot or power off unless I was doing it intentionally. It really isn't as much of a hassle as some people make it out to be, because the iphone/ipod touch is designed to work without ever being turned off, and having to reboot it is a rare occurence. That said, if you depend on your iPhone as your primary phone, I wouldn't recommend having it on a tethered jailbreak -- one never knows when your iphone might freeze up and require a reboot. (This has happened to me with non-jailbroken iphones/ipod touches!) I'm never more than a half hour away from a computer I can use to restart my ipod if it locks up and needs to be rebooted. It really depends on your circumstances and how much hassle it would be to *you* if you had to be without your iPhone for any amount of time.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Well, I actually have the tethered jailbreak on my ipod touch, not an iphone, but since I first used blackra1n, back when it first came out, I've never had my ipod touch reboot or power off unless I was doing it intentionally. It really isn't as much of a hassle as some people make it out to be, because the iphone/ipod touch is designed to work without ever being turned off, and having to reboot it is a rare occurence.

Exactly! I run my iPhone for weeks at a time without rebooting turning it off. Mine isn't tethered, but if it were it would only mean a little more caution in updating Cydia apps.

uncleSmurf

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
blackra1n worked well for mine, I did run into issues with pwnage tool. I have not needed to do a reboot but except for one time in which I just hooked it back up and reran blackra1n. So far everything is good but I also use minimal jb apps, only winterboard, bossprefs and some themes. I would try blackra1n and see how it goes for you.

pectin232

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
This is a perfect example of a post that creates confusion. They both work, I know because I have used both of them. People have issues with both. :rolleyes:

I have iPhone 3GS withos: 3.1.2, and modemfirmware 05.11.07. Using iTunes 9.0. When I use blackRa1n it works but when I installed applications, it does not show the icons on the iPhone but itunes shows the space being taken up? Anything else I can do? Thanks

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I have iPhone 3GS withos: 3.1.2, and modemfirmware 05.11.07. Using iTunes 9.0. When I use blackRa1n it works but when I installed applications, it does not show the icons on the iPhone but itunes shows the space being taken up? Anything else I can do? Thanks

Did you try "reset home screen layout"? It's in the Settings app, General > Reset.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008

Sorry, I've never had this problem nor seen similar posts about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.