PwnageTool 4.0 is out!!!!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by uanuglyfool, Jun 22, 2010.

1. uanuglyfool macrumors regular

uanuglyfool

Finally!!!

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/726179754/foursome-news

PwnageTool 4.0 Release Info

On Monday, Apple released firmware 4.0 for the iPhone and iPod touch devices, this of course was a major upgrade.

As advised, you shouldn’t have upgraded your devices if you have previously relied on our tools for hacktivation and/or a carrier unlock.

With that said, today we are releasing PwnageTool 4.0

PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE POST CAREFULLY, THERE ARE KNOWN UPGRADE TRAPS AND DIFFERENT UPGRADE SCENARIOS THAT NEED TO BE FULLY UNDERSTOOD AND CONSIDERED BEFORE USING THESE TOOLS.

Each supported device has few different scenarios that users need to consider when performing the upgrades, you need to check below and perform the upgrade in the particular way that matches your current device state.

NB: With PwnageTool 4.0 certain devices are not supported this is because they are not supported in iOS 4.0 or they are not supported by our software.

iPhone 2G - not supported
    iPod Touch - not supported
    iPod Touch 3G - not supported
    iPhone 3G

If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3G at 3.1.2 (but not jailbroken with Spirit) then you should create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore from recovery mode or DFU mode.
    If you have an out of the box iPhone 3G you should restore using a PwnageTool 4.0 ipsw using DFU mode.
    If you have a Jailbroken 3.1.3 iPhone 3G it is very possible that this can fail from recovery mode, if this failure happens you will need to restore using DFU mode.
    IMPORTANT! Whenever you need to enter DFU mode, you will need to do so using PwnageTool.

iPhone 3GS

Summary: PwnageTool only works on previously jailbroken 3GS devices with the old bootrom.

If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3GS with the OLD BOOTROM and you DID NOT use Spirit to jailbreak then you can create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore with recovery mode.
    If you have an iPhone 3GS with the NEW BOOTROM this is NOT supported by PwnageTool 4.0
    iPod touch 2G

If you have an iPod touch 2G that is jailbroken (but not with Spirit) then you can restore using recovery mode.
    Baseband Unlock

iPhone 3G and 3GS baseband unlockers (those who rely on ultrasn0w to make phone calls) should always be very wary to update their firmware, however our Ultrasn0w application will unlock all recent (including the current) 3GS and 3G baseband firmware versions, once you are jailbroken using PwnageTool 4.0, install ultrasn0w from Cydia and you’ll be unlocked.
    Remember! This baseband unlock situation is rare, should you upgrade your iPhone blindly at the next iOS release please don’t expect an unlock - but for now you are OK (whatever state your baseband is in).
    Please feel free to ask any questions in the comment section below. We’ve got a bunch of expert help there, including our friendly moderators confucious and angie!

2. jlmitnick macrumors regular

So, I have a Jailbroken iPhone 3GS (on 3.1.3) with the old bootrom, but it is jailbroken with spirit, and I can only go as low as 3.1.3 (don't have 3.1.2 SHSH on server).

Am I stuck, or can I simply to a fresh restore of 3.1.3 (no jailbreak), and then jailbreak with some other tool? What tool would I use (I thought spirit was the only one that could to 3.1.3 on 3GS)...

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, you're stuck for now.
    You cant use a pwnage IPSW.

4. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

1. Connect your 3GS to your Mac and put it into DFU mode.
    2. On your Mac, click the Apple Logo in the upper left corner.
    3. Click About this Mac - More info...
    4. Click Hardware - USB - USB High Speed Bus - Apple Mobile Device (DFU mode)
    5. Look for the iBoot version under the Serial Number.
    6. If the iBoot version is 359.3.2 or higher, you have the new one that can't be JBed (yet)

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

edit dhlizard answered it!

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Nope, you are confusing bootrom and modem firmware (which is baseband)

Bootrom is not shown anywhere in the iPhone displays

8. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

So I need to get the hackentosh up and running or look for a 3.1.2..

9. jlmitnick macrumors regular

:(

So spirit is the only tool that jailbreaks 3gs 3.1.3 (assuming you are already at 3.1.3)?

10. homrb macrumors regular

My 3gs has all the qualifications for jailbreaking it except for the fact that its not currently jailbroken. Why does is matter? and also, if I browsed for a certain ipsw at the beginning of pwnage tool for maybe some sort of custom restore firmware, then would it think that it is jailbroken and would work?

11. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

I've tried PwnageTool 4 several times now (both simple and expert) and I am getting a "FAIL".

I have a 3Gs at 4.26.08 originally JB with a custom 3.1.3(7E18) ipsw with Pwnage Tool 3.

Any suggestions?

I have 359.3 bootrom (checked the other day)....so I should be good to go?

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

yep I realized the mistake as soon as I saw your post and reedited. to eliminate confusion.

13. barakrl macrumors newbie

oh man...
    I now have to download iTunes 9.2 AND the .ipsw firmware file...
    500+ MB ?! I need a faster internet connection. It's gonna take about 40min...

I can't wait! :D

14. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

[iBoot-359.3]

is that ok ?

15. ViPa macrumors 6502a

i bought my 3GS within the first month it was released..is it safe to say i have the old bootrom? also, i am running 3.1.2 firmware previously jailbroken by pwnage tool

16. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Just restored to release-version 4.0 jailbroken. Worked flawlessly. Gotta love the Dev-Team.

Yep. Get yourself on 3.1.2, jailbreak with redsn0w, and then upgrade with PwnageTool.

17. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

18. thundermustard macrumors regular

Another quick way to see if you have the old bootrom (though not as effective as the method described above) is to check when your iPhone was made. The 3rd digit is the last digit of the year, the 4th and 5th are the week it was made.
    Anything before week 39 is most likely gonna have the old boot rom. So 939 or lower should be good. I have a week 41 (941) that also has the old bootrom.

19. nabechu macrumors 6502

not yet

20. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Good deal. I'll change to the public release version of 4.0 when I get home later this week (currently JB on iOS 4 GM)

21. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You should be aware, Pwnage Tool is generally only in Mac format.

22. California King macrumors 65816

Could one just download a cooked ipsw and use it to restore on windows?

23. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

My 3Gs is at 3.1.3 with a custom ipsw from PwnageTool. Do I have to restore to 3.1.2 before using PwnageTool 4?

24. ViPa macrumors 6502a

someone please answer this question

25. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Yes, as long as it's made with the options you need (like activated/not activated) and you trust it to be safe