PwnageTool 4.2 released

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by uanuglyfool, Feb 15, 2011.

1. uanuglyfool macrumors regular

uanuglyfool

PwnageTool 4.2 released http://is.gd/pd1vpN . Includes @chronicdevteam 4.2.1 untether and @comex iBooks fix!

What’s in a name?
    What’s in a name? Well in the case of an HFS volume name on iOS, an untether exploit — as the Chronic Dev Team revealed last week with an untether for the 4.2.1 jailbreak, which had previously been a tethered JB for most recent devices since 4.2.1’s release in November. With their permission, we’ve incorporated their 4.2.1 “feedface” untether into today’s PwnageTool 4.2. This means iPhone unlockers can safely restore to a custom 4.2.1 pre-jailbroken IPSW and retain their current baseband and unlock. PwnageTool also supports all the other 4.2.1 devices other than iPod touch 2G:

iPhone3G
    iPhone3GS
    iPhone4
    iPhone4-Verizon
    iPod touch 3G
    iPod touch 4G
    iPad
    AppleTV 2G
    PwnageTool also includes two very recent improvements to the 4.2.1 JB: iBooks was just fixed by @comex and @pushfix last night so that it works as intended on DRMed books, and the wifi problem on AppleTV 2G was fixed by @nitotv, @DHowett, and @saurik. Both of these fixes will also be available in upcoming Cydia package updates, so if you’re already jailbroken you can wait for those updates rather than restore and jailbreak again.

The various components to the 4.2.1 untether (including a second exploit involving Mach-o headers) were worked out by 0naj, posixninja, and pod2g, and a nice writeup by 0naj is available on the wiki. The actual injection method uses geohot’s limerain exploit for most devices. And even though 4.3 is just around the corner, the exploit used has already been closed in the latest 4.3 betas, so it made sense for the 4.2.1 untether to be released when it was. It also appears that a security researcher named @i0n1c has a 4.3 untether ready for when Apple releases the final 4.3 FW, so it may not be a long wait at all with 4.3!

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      35.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Lionheart, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2011

Lionheart macrumors regular

Lionheart

Building my IPSW now.. will report shortly.:)

REPORT: Awesome. No hitches at all so far as I can tell. Works perfectly, as advertised.

Thank you again Dev Teams - you guys rock!! God bless you!

3. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Wonderful news. I'm almost ready to go from 4.1 to 4.2.1, but a couple of theme issues still remain. I'm hoping when 4.3 comes out we get a quicker turnaround on the pwnage tool or at least a good untethered jailbreak option.

Things are moving quick again!

4. AznHustler macrumors member

5. Lionheart macrumors regular

Lionheart

I don't think there are any. From what I can tell, it is not evident that these were caused by jailbreaking. If I notice any, I'll post it here.

6. jvice09 macrumors member

jvice09

i noticed a slight extra drain in my battery as well. but usually when i update i get a sense of paranoia and tend to inspect my phone more than usual at first :) anyways im going to re-jailbreak with pwnage tool, it has never let me down

7. gimmeaipod macrumors member

just to make sure...
    under the general settings screen, i should leave "activate the phone" and "enable baseband update" UNchecked to preserve my baseband, correct? i've never used pwnagetool before, only jailbreakme.com
    tia

8. jvice09 macrumors member

jvice09

if you have an official carrier UNcheck activate phone, but if not then check it. yea dont update the baseband, even if you dont need the unlock it will be worth more dough come time to sell it if it is unlockable

9. iJimmy macrumors regular

iJimmy

10. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Any instruction on how to use this? I mean, what are you supposed to do with PwnageTool_4.2.dmg?

11. Arsu macrumors member

Hey
    I currently have The tethered jb I was going to do the untethered with green poison tonight. Although I wanted to unlock the phone as well to switch cariers. I havent previously unlocked i4 is it possible that I can get some help and possibly directions on how to unlock the phone? M on iPhone 4 4.2.1 with at&t

Thanks a bunch!!

12. jvice09 macrumors member

jvice09

must be your first jailbreak and first computer..double click the dmg file and drag pwnage tool into your applications. then follow a tutorial to jailbreak. i recommend iclarified.com, (tutorial should be out shortly)

13. hatersgonnahate macrumors 6502a

14. Synergie macrumors 6502a

I wasn't able to find the info on the Dev Team Blog site, but if I am already JB with Greenpois0n on 4.2.1 can I just run this over it without losing anything in my current set up?? Sorry in advance if I am just blind and didn't see it...

15. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

It's my 3rd jailbreak and I've been building computers since 286s, and "drag pwnage tool into your applications" doesn't make any sense, but that's beside the point. I'll check out iclarified when they get a tutorial for this one.

16. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Yep. Update to the latest firmware (official) first. :)

Actually, it does make sense. :rolleyes:

17. Remmnever macrumors member

Are you using a mac? Pwnage tool is for macs. .dmg are like .exe for mac.

18. Arsu macrumors member

any one who can help me unlock?? i am familiar with the JB process but not unlock.

19. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Works great!

This simplifies life for many iphone owners out there.

20. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

I get firmware incompatible after i create it to jailbreak my 3GS..

Wtf am i doing wrong..

21. jpipitone macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Has anyone noticed any improvements in using pwnagetool over greenpoison?

I'm currently jailbroken using greenpoison and haven't had any issues. Wondering if it's worth going through the entire process again with pwnagetool, and if it would benefit me.

22. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

All it does is fix the ibooks drm issue that greenpois0n doesn't address. No difference otherwise.

23. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

anyone know what this firmware incompatible stuff is..

24. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

same story here.