QC issues with iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cergman, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Just got my third iPhone 6 in the mail via AppleCare express replacement, and it has a dead pixel. The other two iPhone 6's had their FaceTime cameras shift inside the frame. Is anyone else having similar problems with their iPhone 6's? How many have you had replaced to get one that isn't defective? I'm not going to settle for a defective phone after paying over $850 for the thing. I'll be calling tomorrow to see about getting another replacement. Just curious to hear about everyone else's qc experience with the iPhone 6.

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      2.6 MB
      Views:
  2. cababah macrumors 68000

I had issues with the display of my first iPhone 6. It has some stuck white pixels. I ended up exchanging it for a 6+ which doesn't have any pixel issues.

3. imagineadam macrumors 6502a

I'm in the exact shape as you except I haven't got my 3rd replacement yet! My first one had dark splotches on the middle of the display very noticeable on white backgrounds. The replacement Im using now has the FaceTime crescent problem right out of the box! It really sucks doesn't it?! My 4 and 5 were fine out of the box. This is the first time I've had to get replacements. I wonder what my 3rd will be like? I'll report back. I'm sure there are thousands out there with defects and many people don't notice them or just don't care to complain or report it or take it back. From what I've read a lot have these issues and people have seen others phones with the same problems and some have seen display models with the same problem. The apple guy I've been emailing told me he has the FaceTime camera problem with his own phone! I've read that some people with more recent manufacture dates between late November and early December have gotten better units. Hopefully I can get one of those with this next one.

4. 938092 Suspended

I've been through 5 iPhone 6's. Some had clicking screens and others had an issue with the camera. There are many QC issues at the moment. I'm going to try my luck with purchasing a new one in the next couple of days.

5. Cergman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cergman

That stinks! Hopefully your third one works out, as I'm sure you're as tired as I am of dealing with these things. Has anyone had any of these QC issues with the 6 plus? I'm thinking of asking to upgrade to one, and pay the difference, for my next replacement. It's a long shot, but the answer is always no until you ask.

6. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

ooh, I would be very cranky. A dead pixel is one of my pet peeves. No issues with my iphone 6+ yet.

7. Imory macrumors 6502a

I can't believe that. 5?! I've decided to hold off buying one seeing as the first batches usually have issues. We are soon entering January and they're still having these terrible issues?

8. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Dust and dead pixels have been around for a long time.

9. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

These things are MASS produced and Apple can't keep up with demand. If they introduced quality control they would be even further behind schedule. Let's face it, iPhones are just way too popular and when you take Apple's greed into consideration, the end result is totally inevitable.
    Having said all that, the price they charge for such a crap shoot is unforgivable. It shouldn't be such a gamble when you're buying the most expensive phone in the world. I have next to no bother when I buy cheaper products, only Apple devices give me trouble.

10. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I would love for one of you to check my 6+ for any issues. How is it I have had a 4S, 5S, and 6+ all purchased without issues? Where are these bad iPhones coming from?

11. jettie1767 macrumors 6502

I have a metal imperfection on the back of my 6+. It's like a small bulge. Must have been a defect during the manufacturing of the aluminum. I called Applecare and they are replacing it for me. Should have it tomorrow. Hopefully it will not have the same problem.

12. Imory macrumors 6502a

True. Dead pixels will probably always be an issue, but dust is usually something that gets collected over time. Feel bad for those who go through this and can't get a proper phone from the get-go.

----------

Same here. I always find myself thoroughly checking Apple products, even though they technically "should" be in better shape.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

None of my last 5 iPhones were bad either, but then I am not crawling in a dark closet with a dead pixel finding app either. LOL. We all pay likely an extra $100 for our iPhones for all the returns.

If it were not for forums like this, I bet very few would be replaced, in comparison. These threads send people off into a OCD syndrome that ruins their enjoyment of owning the phone. One thread already states that his Christmas has been ruined due to a dead pixel!:p

Sure there are some defects but getting a phone replaced that has one or two dead pixels that can only be seen in extreme situations is crazy in my opinion. I have no doubt that my 6 and 6+ would have a few but I could care less unless they stood out to the point where you could not ignore them.

I know the above will earn me heavy flaming from those who feel entitled to an absolutely impeccable and perfect device to worship.

There is really no such thing!

14. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

ssl0408

I went through three iPhone 6s to get a good one. The first unit had lose buttons (all of them)! The second unit was overheating badly with just light web browsing. I decided that if the third unit was defective then I would get an Android device because that is the only way to send a message to Apple. If they are losing sales then they will have to respond. I have a good one now and all is well.

15. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

That damn FaceTime camera drives me insane. The blue glow in the light is ridiculous. Granted every 6 I have held has it.

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Totally agree. If I don't notice any defect with my naked eyes out of the box, I don't go around looking for issues. Way too many anal retentive members on here.

17. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Agreed. Loose buttons and obvious imperfections would trouble me, but I won't go installing apps to check for dead pixels. If I can't see any with my naked eye then that's good enough for me.

18. imagineadam macrumors 6502a

Umm I think that blue glow you are talking about is normal behavior for the front camera. The real issue is when it shifts and a gray crescent starts to peer into view.

19. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

iPhones are and have always been finely crafted like top end watches in factories that care about their employees.

I call 'BS' on quality control issues.

:rolleyes:

Seriously though, sorry to hear OP. been there, done that many a time. more times than I'd like to admit.

And patience wears thin.

20. Bahroo macrumors 68000

had a 6 at launch, it was perfect, and i moved on to the plus about 2 months ago and it too was perfect out the box

21. nox5 macrumors 6502

How hard would it be to open iPhone and clean dust for Apple tech at the store?

22. cababah macrumors 68000

Opening it would probably get even more dust in. It would need to be repaired in a clean room of some sort.

23. Cergman, Dec 25, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2014

Cergman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cergman

So far I've had 3 phones with defects. Just ordered my fourth which should be here in a few days. I'll keep you guys updated on the results.

EDIT: Here are the production weeks:
    1. 34
    2. 42
    3. 43

24. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Looks like what week it was made has no bearing on it being defective or not.

25. nox5 macrumors 6502

Apple has to move production to Japan. With Yen so cheap right now it maybe even better deal than China.