Qualcomm Accuses Apple of Stealing LTE Modem Trade Secrets and Giving Them to Intel [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 25, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Qualcomm has accused Apple of stealing confidential information and trade secrets, and passing them on to rival chipmaker Intel, according to a court document filed Monday and reported by several media outlets.

[​IMG]

For background, Qualcomm agreed that Apple could have access to its source code and tools for LTE modems, but with limitations. Qualcomm believes that Apple proceeded to share the information with Intel to help improve its LTE modems, allowing Apple to stop using Qualcomm's modems in the latest iPhones.

Axios's Ina Fried shared an excerpt from Qualcomm's complaint:
    Qualcomm already sued Apple in November 2017 based on suspicions the iPhone maker was using the chipmaker's trade secrets in wrongful ways. Now, Qualcomm is more confident and direct about its accusation.

Don Rosenberg, General Counsel of Qualcomm, in a statement provided to MacRumors:
    The lawsuit is scheduled to be heard in April 2019, but Qualcomm's proposed amendment could delay the trial, which is one of over a dozen lawsuits waged between the two companies. Apple initially sued Qualcomm in June 2017 for $1 billion in unpaid royalties, and later for patent infringement.

iFixit's teardown of the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max uncovered an Intel modem in both devices, a few months after Qualcomm said Apple was unlikely to use its own modems in the latest iPhones. Qualcomm was Apple's exclusive provider of modems until Intel was added as a second supplier for the iPhone 7 lineup.

Update: MacRumors has obtained a copy of Qualcomm's motion, embedded below.

Article Link: Qualcomm Accuses Apple of Stealing LTE Modem Trade Secrets and Giving Them to Intel [Updated]

2. JimmyBanks6 macrumors member

JimmyBanks6

3. blcamp macrumors member

blcamp

Seems they don't want to be a viable company anymore, because spouting shizzle like that - even if it were true - is suicidal.

4. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Qualcomm seems like such a petty, vengeful company. "Oh, you're not going to use our products anymore? We'll bury you in nuisance lawsuits!!!"

I'm glad Apple dropped them; hopefully others see how toxic they are and drop them too, though most companies don't have the resources to fight these lawsuits like Apple does.

5. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

6. xpxp2002 macrumors regular

Queue all the comments of people claiming that the Intel basebands are just as good as Qualcomm, while I watch my iPhone 7 drop calls left and right, that my 6S never did.

Even with access to the Cliffnotes, Intel couldn't produce a chip for the XS that doesn't perform more poorly than Qualcomm's previous gen stuff in the X.

7. where is it macrumors 6502

where is it

This would be hilarious if proven with the lastest spate of iPhone issues being reported. #insidejob

8. FWRN macrumors member

FWRN

9. G5isAlive macrumors 6502a

so in another thread people are complaining about Apple NOT using Qualcomm chips.. and here maybe we see why? Not all business decisions can be based solely on specs.

10. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Well judging by the number of people who have ****** LTE and Wifi Intel failed at implementing whatever it was they were given.

11. MhzDoesMatter, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2018
  12. Xgm541 macrumors 65816

I have the XS Max and the performance is about the same as my Qualcomm X

13. Cyberpower678 macrumors 6502

12.1 fixes that issue.

14. DipDog3 macrumors 65816

DipDog3

Too bad intel couldn’t make sense of the stolen information. Their chips still suck.

15. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

Well according to the report that Intel modems are not working as well as the Qualcomm ones, I'd say Apple and Intel suck at stealing secrets. lol

16. BootsWalking macrumors 6502a

Or they're a company who spent billions on their technology and want to see it protected. If Apple can sue someone for copying their rounded corners on a phone then I don't see why it's out of bounds for Qualcomm to sue for something of actual value.

17. Stratus Fear macrumors 6502a

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, Qualcomm.

18. JulianL macrumors 65816

I wonder if Apple are ever going to get into this area itself. It's CPU/SoC design teams did wonders with their ARM-compatible implementation and there has been some wireless stuff coming out with the W1 chip. I wonder if some more home-grown design in the wireless/cellular arena might be forthcoming in the not-too-distant future and, if yes, I hope it will be as impressive as the home-grown A-series stuff is.

19. Cyberpower678 macrumors 6502

Except for that Apple didn't steal anything, otherwise these Intel phones would be as powerful as the Qualcomm ones.

20. Justanotherfanboy macrumors regular

Justanotherfanboy

What a BIZARRE accusation!
    Lol, as if Apple engineers would be better at reverse engineering a modem chip than Intel engineers...
    And were Intel inclined to do such (I don’t buy it- over such a tiny market? They’ve been an electronics company for like 50+ years & somehow refrained from this kind of sleaze), wouldn’t they keep it internal, rather than involving multiple entities & increasing likelihood of “getting caught”?

21. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

One would think that if intel had the source code, they could make a chip for the Xs that would work with LTE.

22. windywalks macrumors 6502

Yes, definitely. :rolleyes: Since Intel's modems are still crap. They obviously haven't stolen enough.

23. Applemaniac7 macrumors 6502

I think I see how this works, regardless of the facts, a bunch of folk are gonna get their panties in a twist and accuse the nasty people of trying to rob their precious Apple.. even if Apple were in fact to blame. That's irrelevant , they will defend them as if it were their own child... I'll just have a quick look at the comments to see how my theory pans out... :)

24. monster620ie macrumors member

monster620ie

Exactly. Are the folks here thinking that apple is a saint? Apple is quick to sue others - example fixing etc and definitely sues others for intellectual property. So why is it wrong for them to be sued when they do the very same thing they accuse others of?

25. MoreRumors? macrumors regular

MoreRumors?

Qualcomm and Apple need to drop the lawsuits and settle this by having both CEOs duke it out in a MMA fight. Winner sets the condition.