Qualcomm Calls Tim Cook's Statement on Settlement Talks 'Misleading'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 9, 2019.

1. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Is that why the FTC is investigating Qualcomm? Because they were conducting business above board?

Apple does not have unexpected and obscene greed. They make reasonable margins on their products, but that straw-man statement has nothing to do with this litigation.

2. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

I'm sure someone from Qualcomm was questioned and they answered just like Tim at Apple. Tim Cook didn't actively go to the media to talk about the law suit, but he was asked a pretty direct question. Tim did decide to go off more than just a 'we'll let the court system answer that question' but it also sounds like Qualcomm isn't exactly doing that either with the fake news and everything else. Either way, I don't think much will come of it.

3. centauratlas macrumors 6502a

centauratlas

Apple probably doesn't mind the Germany ban all that much - the iPhone X line is more expensive than the 7 s and 8 s.

4. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

And you’re comparing apples and oranges.

5. pika2000 macrumors 601

Supply and demand. If the market segment where Apple is think Apple’s prices are not reasonable, we will see significant decline in sales that is not related to the overall market’s decline. Simple as that. If Apple’s prices are really off the marks, expect changes this year.

However, it seems that Apple is still doing well. Not as good as what they expected, but still a far cry from being in the red.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 9, 2019 ---
    Yeah that’s the irony. Banning sales of the 7 and 8 only pushes people to the newer iPhones and less involvement with Qualcomm. Not sure what Qualcomm’s strategy is here.

6. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

7. Zenithal macrumors 603

Qualcomm and Apple are like two divorced parents who use their child (the consumers) as their middleman for their snippy and often uppity disputes. Just give Tim Cook and Steven Mollenkopf swords or dueling pistols. Let the best man win.

8. Tec972 macrumors regular

You know what should be beneath companies Tim? Charging the same price or more for your iphones when they had TERRIBLE Intel modems in them. You guys pocketed all the excess cash without passing it on to the customer. I hope Qualcomm eats your lunch, because you didn't care about your customers, only the extra margin you guys got to pocket. NOT GOOD BUSINESS PRACTICE!
    GREAT POST! This is exactly how i feel about it.

9. Kabeyun macrumors 68000

Kabeyun

Another in a long list of false equivalencies here at MR.

If you don’t like Apple’s prices...buy a different phone. Not so easy when you’re talking about patent holdings without which you have no phone. Patent licensing isn’t a bloody retail marketplace.

10. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

That's literally what im implying.

That was easy. Who's next?

11. Kabeyun, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019

Kabeyun macrumors 68000

Kabeyun

It only seemed easy because you still don’t understand. Let’s start with a simple question: do you have to pay Apple if you think their prices are “exorbitant”?
    Free market doesn’t apply when a patent holder has an IP monopoly. Do you even know the details of this case, or do you just have a canned rant?

12. TracesOfArsenic macrumors member

TracesOfArsenic

It's legal or it isn't,Timmy. I'm afraid your views have nothing to do with it.

13. KGBguy macrumors member

KGBguy

Free market and patent holder don’t go in the same sentence, or you just trying to yup here to try to look smart?! Lol

14. Tech198 macrumors G5

Isn't Qualcomm used in other non-apple products? Therefore, they too would be effected, why is Apple so important ?

Well ya, but Apple "needs" the money... No idea what for,,, its not like their falling on their face ... Apple is well worthy. Just until this is all over, then jack the prices back up. (..or keep them low)

15. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

I worry you might be right. He’s rode the vapors of SJ for some time that it seems like his own doing.

16. ksec macrumors 6502

Well they actually do reference design, ( Which we have never seen one from Intel ), and their Phone aren't crap. Just a Normal Android Phones.

No License No Chips sounds like Apple REALLY wants to use Qualcomm Chip, just not paying those ridiculous fees. At least there is hope Qualcomm goes back to Apple. Intel is just..... not performing.

17. thasan macrumors 6502a

The level of ignorance in some of the posts here is shocking. Without knowing why Tim is talking about “prices” and how all phone manufacturers are being forced by Qualcomm, these posters are rejoicing that Tim is getting a taste of his own medicine.
    It’s truly shameful how we don’t try to see what is going on but then stick to our perception and anger.

18. ksec macrumors 6502

And if you knew anything about American CEO's pay, you will consider Tim Cook Salary unbelievably low.
    Um.... the outcome actually flavours Apple, Ericsson cut a deal with Apple that Apple thought was fair. And Ericsson didn't charge outrageous price like Qualcomm to start with. In the end it is now likely only Qualcomm are charging % of the Phone. Where others who have settled are all on fix numbers.

19. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

Or pushes them away from the iPhone due to sticker shock. Both happen. Let’s not pretend otherwise.

20. DevNull0 macrumors 68000

I don't know much about Qualcomm's CEO, but one thing that's crystal clear after 7 years here is that Tim Cook makes Donald Trump look like a compulsive truth-teller. So my inclination is to believe it's Timmy that's being misleading here. Especially given how this little spat started with Apple simply refusing to pay the royalties.

21. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

It’s out of our two collective hands. If you like apple products then buy them...else don’t.

22. Kabeyun, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019

Kabeyun macrumors 68000

Kabeyun

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’”
    - Asimov

The one-page article from which that quote comes is worth a read, and is sadly at least as relevant today.

23. twintin macrumors 6502

Apple has to pay the License fee to Qualcomm regardless of who they buy the chip from since we are talking about essential patented technology here.

24. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

True, but Tim charges all customers the same. I have not heard of any occasions where Apple charges rich people more than poor people.

25. Romeo_Nightfall macrumors regular

Romeo_Nightfall

if you dont see the similarity between apples walled garden (consumer electronics) and qualcoms strategy, I dont know what to say!
    Really? well seems you havent heard of students, they pay less - or schools. hence they charge "richer" persons more!