Qualcomm Calls Tim Cook's Statement on Settlement Talks 'Misleading'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 9, 2019.

1. AnthonyG6 macrumors regular

AnthonyG6

Thank you for your detailed explanation, Apple's conduct now seems more understandable. I'm not being sarcastic.

2. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

It's kind of easy to avoid falling victim to Cook's price gouging as they don't make anything where you can't buy an alternative product that does the same job just as well if not better. Qualcomm on the other hand likes to gouge everyone who makes a particular type of device thanks to their standards essential patents and have unfortunately done so for decades.

While I am pretty pessimistic about this, I do hope that this spurs Apple to donate money into efforts to weaken protections on standards essential patents and thus at least limit their abuse by companies like Qualcomm.

3. joueboy macrumors 65816

Just imagine if Qualcomm didn't let Apple use their technology don't you think Apple's phone will not be a "piece of crap" as well? Let that sink in for a minute.

4. nexusrule macrumors 6502

Just don't follow it :)

I was reading just the other day how Apple profits remained unchanged in the last 7 years, and how they were 25% higher during Jobs, hard numbers pointing to the fact that there is no greed factor, it's just that the current devices Apple sell are more expensive to produce than the ones from years ago. During Jobs you had plastic phones with passcode to enter and single cameras and third party chips, then aluminium and plastic phones with a custom chip, Touch ID, camera and flash. Now you have steel and glass phone with double camera, multiple advanced custom chips (AX, Secure Enclave, the one for machine learning etc.) and a very advanced unlock feature (Face ID).

It would be nice if people stopped just stating as facts things that are not factual at all, and accept that the current Apple line up just isn't good or affordable for them.

5. Carnegie macrumors 6502

You’re welcome.

6. lazard macrumors 68000

and take away any incentive for companies to pour money into R&D to develop said technologies.

7. cmaier macrumors G4

Just imagine if Qualcomm hadn’t lured the industry into adopting its own technology by promising to license on a FRAND basis, and the industry picked a different standard that didn’t need Qualcomm technology?

8. AndyMacAndMic, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019

AndyMacAndMic macrumors 6502

AndyMacAndMic

Just imagine: if the moon was made of green cheese then we all had enough to eat.

9. Khedron macrumors 6502

Apple put a sub-1080p LCD in a phone and charged $899 for it. In 2018.

10. kruegdude macrumors 6502

kruegdude

Courage the Cowardly Dog

Oh wait, we’re not supposed to eat dogs, are we? Never mind...

11. nexusrule macrumors 6502

It’s like you are totally ignoring my comment just to repeat the usual misinformed opinion. If it makes you happy... I won’t waste my time this way sorry .

12. ksec macrumors 6502

Never did I said Apple doesn't have to pay SEP. The price they are paying to Qualcomm for Patents ( Everything from SEP, to All other SoC and Design Patents ) are double than all the SEP players combined. And it is obvious this is way too much from Apple's perspective. As much as I want Apple to pay the price and forget about it to use Qualcomm, Apple obviously want to fight it for long terms Strategy.

OF course they refused when they don't agree on the pricing. Apple got lower pricing in the end, doesn't that flavours Apple?

13. apolloa macrumors G4

Not that much lower and Apple were using their usual business tactic, Ericsson said they would let the court decide the price, Apple refused to, and they agreed a price but I guarantee Ericsson are the winners, Apple has deplorable business ethics and treats major innovators who have genuinely moved human life on as something they’ve stepped in, but you’d probably just call it business..
    I can’t wait for it to the same in the medical world...
    I was rather hoping it did get to court as Ericsson would have torn Apple to pieces with ease..

I don’t believe a word Apple says about Qualcomm due to this, and seeing as Qualcomm has already won in a major EU court against Apple and had its phones banned from sale, it adds further fuel to that belief.

14. Khedron macrumors 6502

We're misinformed that the XR display has a sub-1080p resolution and is an LCD?

15. StyxMaker macrumors 68000

StyxMaker

This is how corporations ‘duke it out’.

16. StyxMaker macrumors 68000

StyxMaker

I thought it started when Qualcomm refused to pay Apple the rebate they had contracted for on the license fees.

17. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

And users felt it looked better than the pocophone's 1080p display.

People who complain about this sort of stuff is precisely the sort who clearly doesn't understand Apple. Apple sells an experience, not technology. They aren't about cramming the best specs in a device, but about how to put them together in a manner which offers a great experience for the user.

As it stands, the display is fine for its users, and helps extend battery life.

That's what you are paying for. Apple's expertise in putting them together.

18. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

And Qualcomm is under investigation here in the US. So I don’t believe a word Qualcomm has to say.

19. Mars56 Suspended

lol you sound bitter :)

Qualcomm aren't looking good in the US , wouldn't be surprised if they are a bunch of criminals. Just because I feel the same way about companies as you do .

20. ksec macrumors 6502

Well it quite obvious he didn't understand how SEPs, Design Patents, and Other Patents works and valued. And refers to Major Win in EU, which literally kills any motive in further discussions. Apple pays 0.5% of iPhone price ( Not Retail Price ) to Ericsson for access to everything fro 2G -4G patents, and Ericsson was one of the first to come out and said their 5G patents ( inclusive of all previous G ) would be licensed at a fixed price / unit as well.

21. apolloa macrumors G4

You don’t understand Apples ethics and how it conducts its business to pay for the tech it uses.
    When Apple refuses to pay for technology invented by and developed by Ericsson, like Qualcomm, yet makes billions from that tech in profits, theirs something wrong legally and morally..it all simply comes down to Apples never ending greed.

22. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Seems like two thoughts are in okay:
    1. The investigation in the US and,
    2. Apples’ never ending greed

Both appear to be on the right track.