Qualcomm Calls Tim Cook's Statement on Settlement Talks 'Misleading'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

Pork. Qualcomm is trying to do it.

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Actually, it should read "...stopped selling those devices in Apple Stores in Germany" since the same devices are still for sale by other sellers in Germany. And it should be added that Qualcomm deposited one and a half billion dollars to pay for Apple's damages if their injunction turns out to be unjustified.

3. TComm macrumors member

Apple is the good guy here. Shame on Qualcomm.

4. iBluetooth macrumors member

No, each phone manufacturer has to pay this fee to Qualcomm from their margins. But Apple decided to withhold payments after the FTC sued Qualcomm for monopoly on the basis that they were excessive because the 4G standards are based on some Qualcomm patents, i.e. no one can make 4G phone without Qualcomm patents. The bad thing is that Samsung can't sell their Exynos chips because of conditions from Qualcomm. Qualcomm doesn't make chips for watches and thus, there are no good Android smartwatches.

5. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

There's a good chance that Qualcomm's outside counsel has made an offer to Apple's outside counsel, which relayed the information to an in-house attorney at Apple handling that particular matter internally, who immediately shut it down as unacceptable; and the offer never made it up to Cook.

6. EBone12355 macrumors member

EBone12355

There's a reason Apple has decided to open up a 1,000+ person campus here in San Diego. They are going to hire away the best talent from Qualcomm and the workers won't even have to relocate. Qualcomm is poking the wrong bear.

7. KGBguy macrumors member

KGBguy

Well, of course. There are no limits to Apple’s greed.

What is amazing about it is how Apple determines and sets reality. Apple - You don’t like QC policies, don’t buy from them. They are free to demand whatever they want, you are free not to buy or do any business with them. But wait, that’s a free market mentality, we live in USSR 2.0, there is no room for free market

8. cmaier macrumors G4

Oh yeah? You read qualcomm’s License, and are a qualified lawyer?

9. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Three years before mobile 5g makes a difference. I’ll be ready for a new iPhone by then.

10. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

Or apple can make a phone without Qualcomm.

11. Tazadrt macrumors newbie

Tazadrt

Apple s dispute with Ericcson: we don’t want to agree to FRAND terms because we are special

Apples disputed with Qualcomm: We want them to give us FRAND terms, how dare they think they are special

12. tridley68 macrumors 6502a

tridley68

Qualcomm please just drop of the face of the earth already!!!

13. mdriftmeyer macrumors 68030

mdriftmeyer

They pass those charges on to you, genius.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 9, 2019 ---
    They already do and Qualcomm is suing Intel for purportedly infringing on their IP to block to sale of iPhones with Qualcomm modems.

14. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

15. mdriftmeyer macrumors 68030

mdriftmeyer

16. femike macrumors 6502

Two greedy big companies fighting over money. I have zero sympathy for both of them.

17. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

It all makes sense now why Tim Cook was doing damage control on CNBC yesterday. They're all looking for another pay increase for fiscal year 2019

https://www.wsj.com/articles/apple-gives-ceo-tim-cook-22-increase-in-pay-11546993284

Apple Inc. rewarded Chief Executive Tim Cook and other top executives with a big boost in compensation for fiscal 2018, when the iPhone maker blew past annual sales and profit goals but faced slowing momentum for its most popular device.

Mr. Cook’s total compensation for the year ended in September rose 22% to $15.7 million, according to a security filing Tuesday. It marked the second consecutive year his pay increased, and was driven by a $12 million cash bonus that hinged on Apple exceeding financial targets set by the board.

The award was revealed a week after Mr. Cook issued a letter to shareholders saying Apple would miss revenue estimates for the three months ended in December, marking the first time in more than 15 years the company had slashed its quarterly revenue guidance.

The median annual pay of Apple employees was $55,426. That is far below the $240,430 at Facebook Inc. and $197,000 at Alphabet Inc. Like Amazon.com Inc., which reported median annual pay of roughly $30,000 because of its vast number of warehouse employees, Apple’s median pay is suppressed by a huge workforce that staffs its retail stores.

Mr. Cook’s pay of $15.7 million was about 283 times the median Apple employee’s pay.

18. macmyworld macrumors regular

macmyworld

Simple answer. Get out the checkbook and buy Qualcomm. They can afford it

19. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

"...They charge exorbitant prices..." LOL wow, Tim doesn't like tasting his own medicine.

How much longer will Tim remain CEO?

20. apolloa, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019

apolloa macrumors G4

Yeap, like the recent iOS update for the XR and XS that has affected wireless reception in some phones, something Apple was forced to do due to the patents it’s not paying to use. Yet Cook didn’t mention that?
    This reminds me of the spat they had with Ericsson who I believe were almost stood outside the courtroom door saying bring it on, before Apple caved and paid them money.
    This time Apple only wont change because they think the FTC is in their side, for now.. but in Germany the iPhone 7 and 8 are still removed from sale..

Apples MO is to try as hard as possible to not pay for licenses or tech it’s making billions and billions in profit off for a long as possible, it’s very bad business ethics IMO. We will see how far Apple pushes this one.
    Actually Qualcomm DO make smart watch chips.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181108005283/en/Fossil-Launches-Smartwatch-Qualcomm-Snapdragon-Wear-3100

Intel tried it but I don’t how successful they were beyond the Tag watch collaboration.
    That’s because Apple had no choice, Ericsson was almost stood outside the courtroom waiting for Apple to show up! Apple would have been totally slaughtered in any court case against Ericsson, they knew this and had to eventually pay.

21. TheShadowKnows! Suspended

TheShadowKnows!

Ahhh.... Two old ladies handbag fight.

22. I7guy, Jan 9, 2019

I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

My guess...until he decides to pack it in. Unless that’s a rhetorical question.

23. Khedron, Jan 9, 2019

Khedron macrumors 6502

Why would they? You don't let your "opponent" decide the talking points, and if deranged accusations are made against you then you don't give them oxygen by responding to them.

Why is Tim so desperate to try to make this a trial by media and resorting to, of all things, an accusation of unfairly high prices?
    You think Apple would hesitate for a second if they somehow had the opportunity to kill off Bluetooth and charge for AirPlay as the only available wireless media protocol?
    As far as I can tell (someone please correct) the main dispute started because Qualcomm takes a percentage of companies' margins in fees. Most phone developers have reasonable margins and pay reasonable fees. Apple decided to blow their margins sky high but then got pissed it meant their fees would also go up. Apple's unexpected and obscene greed broke what had previously seemed like a reasonable agreement.

24. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

...except when consumers don't want to pay, genius.

And?

25. needsomecoffee macrumors member

needsomecoffee

This. Apple is arguing that with the increase in average selling price Apple has achieved, its payments are excessive because other more expensive components now driving the ASP increase. Q. just wants the contract Apple signed when ASP and fees were lower to be enforced.