Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Wouldn’t surprise me. It’s typical Apple. Violate patents, get sued, violate patents again go to court again, threaten suing party and claim victim status....

In the real world is the opposite. Everyone (and their grandmother) copying Apple.
[doublepost=1545113510][/doublepost]
So you think Android phone makers should give their users a worse experience?

They already do.

MacFanBoi

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2009
Why doesn't apple just buy qualcom for the $70B or so qualcom is worth which is chump change for apple then sack everyone in the company haha.

ROGmaster

Suspended
Apr 12, 2018
Why doesn't apple just buy qualcom for the $70B or so qualcom is worth which is chump change for apple then sack everyone in the company haha.
Great user name, it fits you.
Broadcom couldn't buy Qualcomm for 146 billion and they would have probably offered even more but in the end the deal was blocked by the US authorities.
To put it simple, Apple can't buy Qualcomm even if it wants to.

[doublepost=1545116772][/doublepost]
Android is a direct copy of iOS, just as an example of something egregious.

This is petty nonsense.
A direct copy? LoL

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Wouldn’t surprise me. It’s typical Apple. Violate patents, get sued, violate patents again go to court again, threaten suing party and claim victim status....

I was about to post the same thing, this is absolutely typically Apple behaviour, so far as they are concerned they are above the law unless it’s benefiting them.

I hope the Chinese courts find them in contempt and fine them. It’s like when here in the UK they were forced to publically apologise for its false case against Samsung, they first made an apology that was hidden on there website, and attempted to claim the UK court was out of touch with the rest of the world and that Samsung tablets were ‘not as cool’ as the iPad. Naturally the court did not find this amusing in the slightest, quickly found Apple to not have complied with their ruling and ordered them to do it again and I think pay all of Samsung’s legal fees.

Anyway it’s just an example of how Apple desrepects word courts unless it benefits them or they face massive charges or fines.

Next year we will have the conclusion of the French court investigation into the slowdown of the iPhones and the US Senate will be probing them in January, plus all the other cases. In Italy both they and Samsung have been fined for misleading consumers about their forced slowing down of devices, so it’ll be interesting to see what happens in France where it’s actually a crime to do that. Can’t wait to see Apples arrogance that countries courts.

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
The ban was enacted after a Chinese court said that the older iPhones infringe on two of Qualcomm's patents related to resizing and reformatting photos for wallpaper and switching between apps.

I do wish they fix the patent system to stop silly patents like resizing photos are never granted in the first place.
[doublepost=1545118564][/doublepost]
Qualcomm seems petty at this point. Got what they wanted then said no that’s not right either.
As much as I hate silly patents like this. Apple is no better than things like their pinch to zoom or screen bounce at the bottom of a list patents they tried against Samsung.
[doublepost=1545118671][/doublepost]
I hope that phone makers see how petty Qualcomm is against Apple and decide not to choose them.
They are all as bad as each other. Apple is no better.
[doublepost=1545118757][/doublepost]
Force Apple to develop a product that is clear of your patent, and watch them open it to other manufacturers and destroy you. It isn't necessarily a wise business practice to force one of your biggest customers to become independent of you. This will cost Qualcomm more than it does Apple in the long run regardless of what Apple ends up paying in the settlement.
Wasn't Apple leaving qualcomm anyway.

Reactions: HacKage

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
This "It's only software" sounds all a bit iffy on Apple's Claim.

If this whole copyright issue were genuinely just a couple of software tweaks then, they'd have done those tweaks ages and ages ago to avoid all of this.

Does not sound right at all.

Reactions: femike

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
I hope that phone makers see how petty Qualcomm is against Apple and decide not to choose them.
A comment only an ignorant child can make.

ETA: the comment above changed between my reading it and replying - originally it read "it's like they are a bunch of children", hence my reply.

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
I was about to post the same thing, this is absolutely typically Apple behaviour, so far as they are concerned they are above the law unless it’s benefiting them.

I hope the Chinese courts find them in contempt and fine them. It’s like when here in the UK they were forced to publically apologise for its false case against Samsung, they first made an apology that was hidden on there website, and attempted to claim the UK court was out of touch with the rest of the world and that Samsung tablets were ‘not as cool’ as the iPad. Naturally the court did not find this amusing in the slightest, quickly found Apple to not have complied with their ruling and ordered them to do it again and I think pay all of Samsung’s legal fees.

Anyway it’s just an example of how Apple desrepects word courts unless it benefits them or they face massive charges or fines.

Next year we will have the conclusion of the French court investigation into the slowdown of the iPhones and the US Senate will be probing them in January, plus all the other cases. In Italy both they and Samsung have been fined for misleading consumers about their forced slowing down of devices, so it’ll be interesting to see what happens in France where it’s actually a crime to do that. Can’t wait to see Apples arrogance that countries courts.

True...I mean I don't side or support Qualcomm either since they also bully all over the world far too long...

Both have exactly the same exploitative mindset...milking the maximum

Shiro_Simba

Suspended
Sep 28, 2018
London
In the real world is the opposite. Everyone (and their grandmother) copying Apple.
[doublepost=1545113510][/doublepost]

They already do.

In the real world , they all copy each other. You are choosing to look at one side only.

Do you just ignore basic features like wireless charging and weather sealing ?

Feel free to make an argument that Apple has the most influence, and others folllow, but Apple takes it’s fair share of tech / features (hardware/software) from the opposition, gives it some whacky name, and Apple fans claim Apple invented it. Alas that is not reality. Lives interesting when one opens both eyes, be it android or iOS fans ;)

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
NeXTSTEP predates Linux by a long shot and it's FreeBSD UNIX, just like macOS and iOS.
In the real world , they all copy each other. You are choosing to look at one side only.

Do you just ignore basic features like wireless charging and weather sealing ?

Feel free to make an argument that Apple has the most influence, and others folllow, but Apple takes it’s fair share of tech / features (hardware/software) from the opposition, gives it some whacky name, and Apple fans claim Apple invented it. Alas that is not reality. Lives interesting when one opens both eyes, be it android or iOS fans ;)
apple should paid the Qualcomm . They really need to focus on ios and osx which pretty bad this day.. I would said future "Jack Of all Trade,master of none" .

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
It's a sad state of affairs when what is essentially a chip/modem manufacturer has patents for resizing bloody wallpapers.

Patent law really need reforming. "Use it or lose it" should be a thing. Haven't actively worked on a product using your patent yourself for 3 years? You lose it. Would solve all of this BS.

Reactions: IG88

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
What is laughable about all of this is that a China court has found Apple guilty of patent infringement but yet the country as a whole is well known for it's blatant patent, IP and copyright misuse of virtually every known profitable, well known brands and companies on the planet and yet China's courts do nothing about it.

Jago

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2013
So salty from losing the modem deal in iphones. Funny how iphones are "suddenly" violating this patent once Apple kicked Qualcomm to the curb.

And a ruling in China. The leader in true enforcing of IP rights :rolleyes:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/vide...tive-in-apple-suit-lawyer-boutrous-says-video
This is pretty much how business works everywhere. If you have significant leverage, actually using it while you have a deep beneficial releationship is pretty stupid. If/when that relationship turns sour, things change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.