Quality 3.5mm audio + charging splitter? Where to buy?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by AutoUnion39, Dec 27, 2016.

1. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

I'm curious about the same thing. There are quite a few choices of these on Amazon, but pretty much all of them seem to have a considerable amount of bad reviews.

3. infiniteentropy macrumors regular

You can buy the Lightning USB Camera Adapter that has the lightning charger and the USB-A port, and hook the USB side to a USB DAC, and use headphones in that DAC. It's pretty fun. Not nearly as portable / convenient as what you're looking for. But it's worth noting. :)

Source: I do this from time to time when I'm feeling saucy.

4. Freakonomics101 macrumors 65816

Freakonomics101

Good evening everyone! Just purchased a 7+ a couple days ago and love it! Just missing the headphone jack as I use it often in my car. I bought an aftermarket adapter that includes both a charging port and a headphone jack... are they safe to use? I know using an aftermarket charger is okay as long as it's good quality but not sure if the adapters are any different.

I bought these... x2

[​IMG]

5. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

Well the seller has sold almost 2,000 of them. What's their feedback like? At least you know if it doesn't work reliably that eBay gives you 6 months to return it and always sides with the buyer.

6. Freakonomics101 macrumors 65816

Freakonomics101

Feedback is pretty decent.

[​IMG]

7. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

It's most likely safe (shouldn't damage the phone) but I can't imagine it would be very durable or reliable being that its that cheap and must contain a DAC for audio use.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Those eBay accessories are a hit or miss.
    If they are not Apple mfi certified then Tim Cook can make them useless with an iOS update. Same way 3rd party Chinese lighting wires give you the accessory not supported message and the device doesn't charge any more.
    I'd look for something officially licensed by Apple as mfi certified. Because we all know if a company doesn't pay the Apple tax they are not allowed to play ball in their stadium;)

9. Freakonomics101 macrumors 65816

Freakonomics101

That's what I'm trying to look out for. If these are junk, I'll get my refund and buy one that I saw on Walmart.com.

If they work and are good quality, I'll be sure to let y'all know! I was really disappointed to see Apple come out with an adapter that only includes the jack but not the charger part. I don't know why they didn't just implement it to make everyone happy.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    I bought lots of great priced lightning wires on eBay only to find out that when I updated my iOS version they didn't work any more.
    That's the risk one takes when they buy non mfi certified Apple wires.
    They might work fine now, 3 months later they might be useless.

11. Freakonomics101 macrumors 65816

Freakonomics101

I tried searching for one that's certified but have yet to find one.

12. Freakonomics101 macrumors 65816

Freakonomics101

I found one on eBay that claims to be MFI Certified. The ad says software updates won't be a problem with the compatibility. It's $26.... a little steep for something that MIGHT be MFI certified.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's probably still early. Im sure soon enough we'll see such MFI certified dual adapters.
    They will sell like hot cakes so Im sure if the demand is there companies will pay to put legit ones out there. At least then you'll know it will work and last and not have to stay on old iOS version in order not to lose that wires functionality;)
    --- Post Merged, Dec 30, 2016 ---
    Yep, that's a good sign.
    The prices will be double or triple of what Chinese knockoffs sell for.
    But once more and more companies get in the competition the prices will eventually lower.
    But then again do you buy something that you might end up throwing away a few months later or pay a little more for something you know wont be disabled down the road.

14. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

And even if you did purchase an accessory through eBay which ended up being not certified, the return process would be easier through a reputable store or someone who backs their products elsewhere. Third party retailers on eBay have to many loop holes for returns where they can deny or refute the return. eBay as a whole has a cumbersome return process. But that's from my past experiences.

15. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Apple's Lightning Dock can do what you want. I'm using the white plastic version for my iPhone7, but I'm assuming the (considerably more expensive and not really any better looking) aluminium version also has the earphones jack.

You may need an earphones extension though, as the dock isn't super handy for putting the phone in your pocket while you chill and so on. Not that I'd super recommend sticking a charging phone in your pocket anyhow... :p

16. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Has everyone forgotten Apple's official solutions?

The Belkin Lightning Audio + Charge Rockstar combined with the Apple Lightning to Headphone Jack Adapter. Somewhat clunky but will work perfectly and no need to worry about future updates.

Alternatively, using a Lightning dock as @Lennyvalentin suggested.

17. Freakonomics101 macrumors 65816

Freakonomics101

Yeah but then you have to buy the headphone jack adapter that comes with the iPhone. I bought my 7+ off Swappa, which didn't come with that adapter. So $40 for the Belkin adapter plus $10 for the Apple adapter... no thanks. I would rather spend the $26 I found listed above. The $26 adapter is less bulky and it's just one smaller adapter.

18. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Literally every iPhone 7 owner gets the adapter. If you bought yours used and it didn't come with one, that would surely have been reflected in the price you paid, so you're not worse off. Besides, even if I had to buy another adapter, I'd sooner spend $48 on something guaranteed to work for as long as Lightning exists than $26 on something that will leave you holding your breath every time you update iOS.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That $26 adapter will be useless down the road. So throwing away $26 on something that won't last is a better or worst option?
    But It's your money and your choice.
    Go for the knock off and best of luck...

20. Freakonomics101 macrumors 65816

Freakonomics101

Well I read the reviews of the Belkin one on Apple's website and the product doesn't look promising. A lot are saying it's a piece of junk.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The one thing it has going though is that is mfi certified.
    The iPhone 7 hasn't been out for that long so I'm sure we'll see some legit quality options and prices will get more competitive.

22. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I can't contest to Belkins Adapter, but their customer service is horrible and I'm not sure how that would play apart if they stand behind their product or not. I'm not saying They don't make a good product product, but usually customer service follows suit.

23. Freakonomics101 macrumors 65816

Freakonomics101

Most of their products are awesome! But this adapter I simply do not trust enough to spend $50 on.