Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following a September report stating that Apple may be working with Quanta Computer to develop a larger-sized iPad, Digitimes is now reporting that the Taiwanese-based manufacturer has landed the contract to mass-produce the tablet for the second half of 2014. Just last week, a report had claimed that the larger iPad was being targeted for an early 2014 launch.

12_9_ipad_ipads_dark-800x450.jpg
Mockup of 12.9-inch iPad next to iPad Air and iPad mini

The article also mentions that Quanta is expected to face difficulties when assembling the larger iPad because of its unique industrial design and assembly, which could also lead to constrained supplies:
Quanta is expected to encounter several challenges in terms of industrial design and assembly when making the large-size iPad. And since the size is not the mainstream specification, order volumes are expected to be limited, the sources said.
Component makers have also reportedly started pilot production for the iWatch, although low yields are rumored to be the reason behind delaying mass production of the device from Q1 2014 to Q2 2014. Quanta, Inventec, and Foxconn are said to be competing for iWatch production orders.

Last week's report from The Korea Times indicated that production of a 12-9-inch Retina Display to be used in a next-generation iPad was already underway at an Apple supplier in Korea. The larger tablet is also said to carry an improved display nearing ultra high-definition (UHD) quality, which would be significantly bigger and contain many more pixels than Apple's current 9.7-inch iPad Air.

Meanwhile, iWatch reports have surfaced occassionally in the past couple of weeks, with Apple rumored to be releasing both 1.7 and 1.3-inch display sizes of the watch for men and women. NPD DisplaySearch analyst Paul Gagnon also noted that Apple appears to have put its major television product plans on hold for the time being in order to focus on wearables such as the iWatch.

Article Link: Quanta Reportedly in Line to Produce Larger iPad for Late 2014, iWatch for 2Q 2014

sadesh

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2008
glad to take them both. Larger ipad with dual boot os X would be great. Not happening though with :apple:

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
I'm equally as excited about both of these products. :) It's good to see a rumor about some new gadgets on the horizon.

Although we already have the iPad, and the Nano was a good test watch, I'm anxious to see what happens when Apple takes both new spaces seriously.

Last on my anxious list, the real Apple TV!

Ryox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
UK
Everyone loves the thinner, lighter, smaller iPad! Now lets make a bigger heavier one!

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I could see an extra-large iPad being hugely popular among educators, medical workers, retailers and restaurant operators.

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
Very excited about a larger iPad. I'm definitely interested in one and I can also imagine many scenarios, where such iPad could be quite useful to other people. Not everyone wants/needs a small iPad (instead of a small iPad I'd rather have a larger ~5" iPhone).

BurgDog

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2012
I'd prefer this over the Air

My eyes are getting worse as I age. I need a case anyway to carry any iPad and I use my iPad on tables so a larger one would not be inconvenient to me.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
I was bored the other day and drew the mini, iPad air and proposed 12.9" screens out in CAD to compare them. The 12.9" really seems unmanageable for a tablet device in either 4:3 or 16:10 aspect ratios.

Just my opinion, but I'm increasingly convinced that this proposed iPad may not be what we assume.

A random thought is that this 12.9 screen might herald the return of the "iBook" as an iOS based laptop form factor or possibly some other hinged / desk friendly system that we've yet to envisage. Of course "iBook" doesn't fit with the assumed iPad Pro naming convention, but I think we should at least be expecting something more creative and defining than a scaled up iPad.

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
I could see an extra-large iPad being hugely popular among educators, medical workers, retailers and restaurant operators.

This.

It's possible (and maybe more likely) that those rumors are just about a new MacBook, with the larger display actually being for the notebook instead of for a bigger iPad. But I would love if it were for an iPad Pro, would be extremely useful to me.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Going to a bigger form, ~ 12" +/-, makes complete sense - and not as an OSX based system.

You have to think outside the box for usage of such a device. Personally, I know as a sales tool the iPad can be great - although for showing pictures and video, it does seem a little constrained by its size. I've tried using my 13" mba, but it's just not as easy to pass around to people.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
If this is just a larger iPad what industrial design challenges would they be facing?

lcmazza

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
Makes sense. It's coming with iOS 8 and a full revamp to allow file management and the much needed "opening" of iOS. :apple:

4saus

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2012
A 12 inch iPad.... maybe they will name it "iPad Pro"

I really hope Apple make it run a touch enabled Mac OSX.
That would make running full OSX versions like final cut X, Aperture, and Adobe CC on a 12 inch iPad possible. The current iPad shows a big potential but iOS is limiting the device.

If Apple decides to let it run iOS they should at least do something about not being able to see more than one app at the same time. A split screen feature would be nice to have.

Not the way Samsung does it but the way Microsoft does it.

Last edited:

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
How about an iPad which attaches to a MBA "console" and if it is detached starts into iOS, on the Air it is the (touch)-screen. Now, that would be useful. The air would then function as keyboard to the iPad and provide maybe even the much bigger memory...:rolleyes:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I hope that the display is closer to 11.9". 12.9" seems pretty hefty for a tablet.

I'd love to be able to do design and photo editing work on one of these someday. iOS needs better file management, peripheral support (think app store for USB device drivers) and improved multitasking capabilities before it could be used by professionals. I think things are slowly moving that way, but it will be a while before many professionals can take it seriously. There also need to be some better professional apps for iOS. I bet Apple releases at least Aperture and Logic for iPad Pro. Final Cut X is really pushing it, and it would have to be a pretty powerful device with a much more advanced iOS. I can't see anyone using that right now. I know Adobe is working on Lightroom for iPad. RAW editing apps would be a great start and good use.

Does anyone think it's possible that Apple could create and edge-to-edge display? Maybe with just a tiny bezel to reduce overall size? What I'm thinking is that an iPad Pro would be targeted at creatives and would have a pressure sensitive screen. Touch capacitance combined with pressure sensitivity could, in theory, combine to create better edge touch rejection. It could much more clearly recognize someone holding the device vs. trying to tap on something. I'm just not sure if they can ever get rid of the top and bottom with the FaceTime camera and home button. But a minimal bezel iPad Pro 11.9" wouldn't be significantly bigger than an iPad Air.

danielowenuk

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
I just don't know where this larger ipad is coming from.

Lot's of android people could already do this, and surely if there was any sort of market for it, someone would have cracked out a cheap android 13 incher?

And yet no one has.... I wonder why.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I miss Steve Jobs' era, one iPhone and one iPad, simple and clean offer for customers.

this would've happened whether Steve was alive or not...

Apple was BOUND to go this direction. it's still a simplified lineup of products. although selling the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 are a little odd, but like they say "people are still buying them."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.