Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dc686

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2013
im depresed idk if it will ever get updated im waiting and its taking forever for it to be fixed i am starting to assume it wont be updated

juwanh

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2008
Please

This has to be updated! I use a lot of iphone apps on my ipad and it is a real pain for those apps that don't support landscape mode, because that means you can't use your ipad in a landscape oriented case! With Quasar you can just turn the window! You can even place like six iphone windows next to each other, it's very amazing! I can't imagine the developer not making it iOS 6.1 compatible, especially since it's a $10 app!

I wish I could downgrade back to 5.1.1! I can't even remember why I upgraded!

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Patience, everyone! Quasar may be ready to go around the same time the new tweak Velox for iOS will be! ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21365631320.804872.jpg

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Great news, Apple needs to hire this guy! :)

Lolz... Apple will NEVER add anything like this to iOS. Then, they would lose their main audience - the absolutely-non-geek people. They only seem to cater for them. And for their incomes - at any rate, even by rendering two-year-old platforms absolutely useless (see the case of the iPt2G 8GB's fate). :(

----------

Patience, everyone! Quasar may be ready to go around the same time the new tweak Velox for iOS will be!

Absolutely great news!

sand_man

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
Quasar type functionality is possibly the single most important element required of iOS7 for iPad/mini.

Whether we care to acknowledge it or not Apple is getting left behind in the functionality stakes compared to Android.

Multitasking done properly, like with Quasar, would move iOS along tremendously

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Quasar type functionality is possibly the single most important element required of iOS7 for iPad/mini.

Whether we care to acknowledge it or not Apple is getting left behind in the functionality stakes compared to Android.

Multitasking done properly, like with Quasar, would move iOS along tremendously

"would". For us geeks. But not for teenage girls or elderly people. And, I'm afraid, the target audience of Apple is the latter, not us.

sand_man

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
"would". For us geeks. But not for teenage girls or elderly people. And, I'm afraid, the target audience of Apple is the latter, not us.

I hear you but simply being able to have AirVideo open in one window streaming series and Safari in another while casually browsing one's favorites sites while at the same time having the ability to open a 3rd window to respond to an incoming email if required!!!!

Just stunning!! Productivity alone quadrupels with Quasar installed on an iPad.

Made this video a while ago when still on 5.1.1 where I'm streaming a video via AirVideo, chatting on Skype, logging onto my stores surveillance cameras and browsing a forum I help moderate using Tapatalk...

I'm not sure why Apple haven't implemented this yet on the iPad/mini.

I say again, this will revolutionize (well, almost) the way we interact with our iDevices!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwZkq37tovk

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I hear you but simply being able to have AirVideo open in one window streaming series and Safari in another while casually browsing one's favorites sites while at the same time having the ability to open a 3rd window to respond to an incoming email if required!!!!

Made this video a while ago when still on 5.1.1 where I'm streaming a video via AirVideo, chatting on Skype, logging onto my stores surveillance cameras and browsing a forum I help moderate using Tapatalk...

I'm not sure why Apple haven't implemented this yet on the iPad/mini.

I say again, this will revolutionize (well, almost) the way we interact with our iDevices!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwZkq37tovk

I, of course, agree. However, I'm not holding my breath. Apple has long ago dropped the ball and they seem to only cater for the technically illiterate nowadays, for whom on-screen windows is a big "NO". Therefore, I don't think we'll ever see anything like Quasar on iOS.

Last edited:

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011

Hyperbole is certainly 'quadrupeled'.

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
This has to be updated! I use a lot of iphone apps on my ipad and it is a real pain for those apps that don't support landscape mode, because that means you can't use your ipad in a landscape oriented case! With Quasar you can just turn the window! You can even place like six iphone windows next to each other, it's very amazing! I can't imagine the developer not making it iOS 6.1 compatible, especially since it's a $10 app!

I wish I could downgrade back to 5.1.1! I can't even remember why I upgraded!

FullForce lets you run apps in landscape. Works great with Google voice and maps, for example.

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
I'll see what reviews are like when the update releases... I have to say although the functionality was useful when I Had Quasar installed, the GUI was dire. So hoping Quasar 6.X will be a lot more apple-esque in design.

juwanh

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2008
FullForce lets you run apps in landscape. Works great with Google voice and maps, for example.

I was referring to apps such as Instagram, which were only designed to run in portrait mode. I am not expecting the app itself to run in landscape mode, however when the iPad is in landscape mode, if would be great if the portrait-only iPhone apps turned with the screen. Quasar is the only tweak that allowed this because of its windowed operation.

Does anyone know of any other tweaks that accomplish the same thing?

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
I was referring to apps such as Instagram, which were only designed to run in portrait mode. I am not expecting the app itself to run in landscape mode, however when the iPad is in landscape mode, if would be great if the portrait-only iPhone apps turned with the screen. Quasar is the only tweak that allowed this because of its windowed operation.

Does anyone know of any other tweaks that accomplish the same thing?

FullForce does not fully work with instagram. It just runs in iphone 5 resolution along the left side, without rotation.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1366820376.859876.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1366820376.859876.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 113

juwanh

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2008
Q: What does this have to do with Quasar?
A: Nothing

A. Quasar allows you to hold your iPad in landscape orientation when using portrait-only iPhone apps. However Quasar is not supported with ios 6.x. That is why I asked if there was another tweak that did this, while we wait for Quasar to support devices running 6.x. Sorry for not being clear in my last post.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
BTW, on Friday, I played quite a bit with the Surface RT.

It has a "snap" mode, which makes it possible to run two apps in parallel, in two vertical panes. Not complete windowing freedom (you can't run, say, 3 or 4 apps, all with their own windows onscreen), but still much better than the one-window-only approach of iOS.

Basically, you can run any app in either window panes; for example, can record with video in one pane and browse the web / write notes / use Office in the other.

I've also found their Web browser more compatible with current sites out there. For example, it has no problems with DPReview's studio comparison widget, unlike all iOS versions. For example, at http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d7100/20 , you can tap anywhere, the crop window will be positioned exactly there on the RT. Not so on iOS, where only the X coordinate will be set but not the Y, meaning the window will stay down, making the entire widget useless.

All in all, OS-wise, Apple is definitely lagging behind the competition.

Now I wish the current RT's (not only the genuine Surfaces - all RT's have the same screen res) had a much better-resolution screen and Wacom pen support... with the current 1388*768 resolution, my eyes started to have a pain after a while, just like with non-Retina, low-res iPads, ruling out the use of these devices entirely.

Last edited:

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Don't apologise, that guy obviously;

1. Struggles with reading comprehension
2. is an *******

So, don't worry :)

I didn't know n00bs could be thread nannies. Congrats on your promotion.

BTW, on Friday, I played quite a bit with the Surface RT.

Why bother having thread titles? :rolleyes: Now a thread, not to mention MACRumors, about Quasar veers into even more irrelevancy with a post about the Surface RT.

I'll have to start a thread in the Macbook Air forum about Dell laptops.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Why bother having thread titles? :rolleyes: Now a thread, not to mention MACRumors, about Quasar veers into even more irrelevancy with a post about the Surface RT.

I'll have to start a thread in the Macbook Air forum about Dell laptops.

Just to point out how Apple could improve iOS without having to rely on (currently, as of iOS6, non-existing) JB hacks. Unfortunately, iOS has become pretty stagnant lately while both MS' and Google's OS'es have much better windowing / multitasking capabilities.

Last edited:

DJEnigma

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2013
Keeping with the theme of stating the blindingly obvious...

Windows has had multitasking windows a while...the clue is in the name :p

This thread is about Quasar because it gives iOS devices that feature.

I imagine most people in here have an apple iOS device so saying that an MS Surface is better is great.... but I don't have or want to have one. I have already made my choice of device thanks.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Windows has had multitasking windows a while...the clue is in the name :p

Mobile MS OS'es (Windows Mobile, Windows Phone etc. - they too have Windows in their name :p) have never been able of windowing. This is the first mobile (tablet) OS from MS with true (apart from the number and position of them) windowing.

I imagine most people in here have an apple iOS device so saying that an MS Surface is better is great.... but I don't have or want to have one. I have already made my choice of device thanks.

I in no way did say that the Surface RT is great. Exactly the opposite:

"Now I wish the current RT's (not only the genuine Surfaces - all RT's have the same screen res) had a much better-resolution screen and Wacom pen support... with the current 1388*768 resolution, my eyes started to have a pain after a while, just like with non-Retina, low-res iPads, ruling out the use of these devices entirely."

(emphasizing by me)

Nevertheless, I'm sick of Apple's both resting on their laurels and not seeming to bother to add such a feature, which, among other things, we want to use Quasar for in this very thread and their continuous battle against jailbreaking, our only hope of iOS becoming a true windowing OS. (This is why, BTW, I've posted my remarks here and not in some other thread. After all, this is the only Quasar-related, active thread here where I've also posted several other posts before.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.