Question about G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by shaun21gb, Oct 4, 2014.

1. shaun21gb macrumors member

shaun21gb

Hi guys,

I have a question and at the same time i need a bit of guidance/help.

I have bought a G5 with out a hard drive install in it, so i have bought a WD 500 GB sata hard drive.

But when i try to install tiger onto the G5 it cant find the hard drive but if i go to utilities and look there it find's the hard drive.

Can anybody help me with this problem please as i am at a loss .

Thanks
    shaun

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Do you have the drive formatted correctly? PPC Macs must have the drive formatted in Apple Partition Map(APM) to be used as a start-up disk.

From the Tiger install disk, go to Disk Utilities. Then, select the drive and go to the "partition" tab. Set up the partitions however you want, and then click on the partition onto which you wish to install the OS and click the "options" button at the bottom of the window. Select APM, which should be the middle of the three options.

Click okay all around until the drive formats, you should be good to go.

3. shaun21gb thread starter macrumors member

shaun21gb

Hi there,

Ok i will have a look and let you know in about 20 mins at a guess . but thanks for your help .

Kind regards shaun

4. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Kinda far out (but you should be able to get the G5 running) but if you need some software check out my site in the signature. Should be of some help!

5. shaun21gb thread starter macrumors member

shaun21gb

Hi guys ,

ok i went to disk utilities ,then to the partition tab setup up the hard drive into 2 partitions. Then clicked on the one i wanted to use to install tiger on to and then it gets funny i cant find the options button all i have got at the bottom of the window is revert and partition there are two other buttons but they are greyed out and not clickable (split & delete).

And i cant find APM button any where.
    am i looking in the wrong place or am i just being thick????

Please don't answer the last part of that .

help please. i so want to get this mac up and running.

6. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Create 2 partitions then immediately go to Options (as circled in this picture). Here you will see 3 options: GUID, APM, and MBR. Select APM.

[​IMG]

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If this drive does not work properly after you follow Gavin's instructions on switching to APM you may need to put a jumper on so it down clocks to SATA I.

8. shaun21gb thread starter macrumors member

shaun21gb

ok i give up

ok guys,

I am about to give up on this G5 i don't know what else to try, i have followed Gavin's instructions.

I have been into disk utilities and then picked the drive , then go to partition set it to 2, then i clicked on the partition i want to install the os.

Then this is where it go's pear shaped , i don't get a options button at the bottom of the window.

I am trying to install tiger 10.4.2 i don't know if it is different on other versions??? i am just thinking of possibilities ,these are genuine apple disc's in am using.

Am body got any more ideas on what to try next.

Thanks you .
    shaun

9. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

I know this is going to sound like a fairly stupid thing to ask, but did you check the SATA wiring? Let's eliminate the possibility that the wires or G5 connections have turned into duds.

10. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Actually you select 2 partitions and pick your Options before you hit the Apply button.

11. shaun21gb thread starter macrumors member

shaun21gb

First of all thanks for all the help guys.

Ok i thought about that sata connections but they must be ok as i can see the hard drives in the box on the left of the window.

I have also changed the hard drive for a new one and it is still the same, just to be more sure i have put both the hard drives into my sata docking station on my windows pc and formatted them so they are clean with nothing on them.

I go to utilities then go to the partition tab click on 2 parts , select the part i want to install osx to, but i don't have a options button anywhere on the screen.?

Hang on i have just noticed there is a little pad lock in the bottom left corner of the screen that is unlocked but i can lock it and if i lock it, it puts a tick by the size box on the right.

But i have no ideas left of what i could be doing wrong.

12. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Did you try the jumper?

13. n0cus macrumors 6502

Take a picture of the Disk Utility window, and post it on here. Don't give up on your G5 just yet!

14. shaun21gb thread starter macrumors member

shaun21gb

No sorry i did not try that .

Ok if you are holding the sata drive in your hand and looking at the connections ,which 2 pins would i have to put the jumper on ?

there are 8 pins on this Wd 500

15. Altemose, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014

Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Western Digital has released a PDF of the information on jumpers. Look at figure 2 and it will tell you what to do! You want to set it to configuration #4.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/other/2579-001037.pdf

16. shaun21gb thread starter macrumors member

shaun21gb

great thanks for that i am just reading it so i will let you know what happens in about 10 minutes.

Thanks again

17. shaun21gb thread starter macrumors member

shaun21gb

Hi guys,

Carried out the jumper option 4.

Still no good it will not give me the option's button in the disk utilities screen.

I have no idea what to try next.

It could not be that i have formatted the sata drives on my windows pc through usb hub could it ???

What about if i format them on my G4 through my usb hub ?? what do you think.?

----------

i have just been into system profiler on the G5 and i have noticed it knows there is a hard disk with 2 partitions on it:

Size is 232.88 GB
    writable :yes
    file system :MS-DOS FAT32
    BSD name: disk0s1 & disk0s2

Could it be the MS-DOS FAT32 that screwing it all up.??

18. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Try reformatting as Mac OS Extended(journaled). I think that you can even select this from the "Partition" tab as as an option. You may even be able to see the "option" button we have been talking about when you do this.

I suspect that the fact that its FAT32 has been the root of your problems all along.

19. shaun21gb thread starter macrumors member

shaun21gb

ok i will try anything , i just want to get this G5 up and running.

Thanks again

I will keep you informed

20. gavinstubbs09, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014

gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I did this just for you.

1. Select hard drive (in this case Kingston)
    [​IMG]

2. Select the Partition tab
    [​IMG]

3. Dropdown and select 2 partitions
    [​IMG]

4. Select "Options" at the bottom
    [​IMG]

5. Select "Apple Partition Map"
    [​IMG]

6. Rename the partitions from "Untitled" to "Machintosh HD" (which I didn't do in this picture but that's ok) then click Apply. You are now good to go and install OS X Leopard.
    [​IMG]

--
    If this does not work, then I have to believe that it's a jumper issue on the hard drive.

21. shaun21gb thread starter macrumors member

shaun21gb

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for all the help with this problem.

Right every thing is the same as the one you have just done for me right up the point where i select 2 partitions .

I don't get the options button on the screen any where at all and as for the Apple partition map never seen that .

That why im stuck i have no idea why i cant get passed this point .

shaun

----------

i have been trying to upload a picture of the screen where i get stuck but it tell's me error in upload so im stuck on this one as well.

talk about having a bad day !!

22. n0cus macrumors 6502

Go to the "Erase" tab. Under format click Mac OS Extended (Journaled), name it whatever, and click erase. Then try to partition it.

23. shaun21gb thread starter macrumors member

shaun21gb

i have just done what you said but i still don't get the options button on the screen.

What about if i link it up to my G4 what is already running tiger 10.4.2 and see if i can get it to do it on there .

What do you think about that idea ??

24. n0cus macrumors 6502

That sounds like a great idea! I figure you know how to put your G5 in firewire target disk mode. A non-related question, why are you still on 10.4.2 instead of 10.4.11?

25. shaun21gb thread starter macrumors member

shaun21gb

i have no idea how to do that as i have only had my first mac a G4 about 10 days ago and i liked mac so much i went out and bought a G5 .

Why oh why did i do it , i have been asking my self so much over the last few days.

Anyway sorry the disks are 10.4.2 power mac G5 grey disk with a apple logo at the top.

After that im stuffed