Question about iMessage/text message and messaging fee

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by applefan289, Oct 22, 2011.

1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I am currently on the at&t plan for my 4S, but I opted to not have any messaging plan (so that means it's $.20 a text). There is an option in preferences for iMessage that says to send as a text message if iMessage is not available (on the other device). I definitely don't want this checked.

My question is, is there a way to send a text message other than through iMessage? I can't have a situation where I'm charged for a text when I think I'm using iMessage, but really I'm just texting. Can I have this option off in preferences but still text when I need to? Or is it all tied to iMessage? Thanks.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm a little lost with where you are going, but what I would do is make a Google Voice account (download the app) and use that for texting. And call AT&T to block incoming and outgoing texts so you aren't charged a heavy fee. (incoming texts will cost you too, I think).

With Google Voice, you get to pick a phone number and whenever people call your Google voice number, it automatically forwards to your cell phone.

Edit: i understand what you are saying ... I think lol

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

wordoflife gives good advice above.

Also, iMessage color-codes how it thinks the message will go; blue for iMessage, green for SMS. When you start composing a new message and select a contact, it will turn the contact bubble and send buttons blue or green depending on the mechanism it expects to use.

Hope that helps.

4. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

Random but I thought you said you wouldnt get a 4S because of the price?

5. Che Castro macrumors 603

Get a free google voice number

Thats what i use for free unlimited texting

Get a google voice account first

Than download the google voice app

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Btw, this option only applies to people you text who have iOS 5. If the phone doesn't have iOS 5, then the phone will let you send a message, but as an SMS. If they do have iOS 5, then you can only send them iMessages (it won't even try to send an SMS)

Good tip.
    You won't unknowingly send a message as iMessage or SMS. You'll know before you send it. The "send" button will turn green or blue.

7. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

I had buyer's remorse before purchasing.

----------

Thanks, this really helps. Now I can leave the option checked just in case I want it to send an outgoing text when I need it to.

8. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

iMessage is only available iOS device to iOS device. If you attempt to message someone who does not have an iOS device, you will be sending a text.

You can tell the difference between a text and an iMessage in messages by the background color of the sent bubble. Text messages will be green, and iMessages are blue.

The option you reference in Settings only applies when sending messages to iOS other iMessage enabled iOS devices.

9. Nads786 macrumors member

10. c3m macrumors member

Please explain.

11. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, please explain! iMessage is basically free texting among iOS5 devices. Why is that dumb?? :confused:

12. c3m macrumors member

As others have said.

Blue send button = iMessage
    Green button = SMS

Keep in mind that.
    iMessage only works between iOS5 devices. Also, keep in mind that even if your buddies are using iOS5, your phone can still send SMS to them if your friends opt out of iMessage or they turned off their 3G on their device.

iMessage will show if it detects the other end uses iOS5. But if it failed to send the message through iMessage for a certain amount of time (few minutes), then the message will automatically be sent as SMS.

13. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for that info. It raises concern to me considering I pay $.20 a text. :rolleyes:

So let met get this straight, if I turn that setting off in preferences, I will still be able to send texts, right? It just won't send SMS texts under the circumstances that iMessage is unavailable?

14. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

15. c3m macrumors member

If you don't wan to send SMS then turn "Send As SMS" to OFF.
    At least that's what I'm understanding the information underneath the option

"Send as SMS when iMessage is unavailable. Carrier messaging rates may apple."
    ON for YES! send SMS
    OFF for NO! don't send SMS

I hope I'm not wrong.

16. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I could never use Google Voice as a main texting app. I hate how you respond, close the app and still shows you have an unread message and I need to clear it out. It's also very unreliable at times and the app crashes more than it probably should.

17. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

Truth sometimes it does that but the annoying part to me is that you can not send pics??? I do use it sometimes when I don't want people to have my number tho lol