Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Hello, this is a rather serious question about the way Apple handles payments on their App Store, as well as subscriptions.

Because this post is about privacy, I will politely ask anyone who’s tempted to say that there’s not such thing as 100% privacy, to refrain from replying because that’s something I already know. But we all tolerate different degrees of privacy. Now, to the question:

When we perform a payment on the AppStore, or inside an app, using Apple Pay (I think it is the default payment platform) for an in-app purchase, or a subscription, are our personal details shared with the developer? Details such as our real name, the billing address… or just the Apple ID email?

I’ve been regularly using an app, on my iPhone, from a company I won’t mention, for years. On this app, I’ve shared years worth of thoughts and ideas, as well as personal information with friends such as health issues. I’ve always used a nickname and an anonymous email address, and of course never linked my phone number to this service/app.

However, recently I purchased an item, a subscription, inside this app. The pop-up appeared, and I was asked for a confirmation of this in-app payment. I used FaceID/TouchID to authorize it, and cling, I made my purchase.

But then, I started to realize that this company, if they have access to my billing info (the info I put on my Apple Pay account, such as my credit card number, my name and address) they can actually link all my conversations, all the anonymously shared info about myself, to a real life identity.

That’s why I’m asking if it’s true that App Store payments and Apple Pay protect the identity and privacy of the end user, and doesn’t share with the devs/companies the billing info.

I’ve found a couple of articles from Apple official sources, about this topic:

“Apple Pay is also designed to protect your personal information. Apple doesn’t store or have access to the original credit, debit, or prepaid card numbers that you use with Apple Pay.”

When performing purchases with Apple Pay from within an app or a website:

“To securely transmit your payment information when you pay in apps or on the web, Apple Pay receives your encrypted transaction and re-encrypts it with a developer-specific key before the transaction information is sent to the developer or payment processor. This key helps ensure that only the app or the website that you’re purchasing from can access your encrypted payment information”

So, according this, the developer has access to my encrypted info? Such as my name, credit card number and billing address?

About subscriptions, I’ve found this link where it says that Apple only shares an encrypted/anonymized subscription ID with the company, but I think it’s just for statistics:

What I purchased is a subscription and, at this point, I’m not sure if all my years worth of anonymous conversations are linked to my personal identity after making this in-app purchase.

Please if anyone has the knowledge to explain me how this works, or any developer here can corroborate if devs have access to the billing info (or then get paid by the App Store through the Apple Pay platform) I’d like to know the answer, thank you very much.

nemecek_f

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2022
Hello,

I have a few paid apps on the store and there is no information in the developer portal about customers at all. Similarly when I was checking RevenueCat dashboard that helps devs with implementing subscriptions, you only see anonymous purchase ID along with the country and that is all I have ever seen.

Reactions: Populus

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Hello,

I have a few paid apps on the store and there is no information in the developer portal about customers at all. Similarly when I was checking RevenueCat dashboard that helps devs with implementing subscriptions, you only see anonymous purchase ID along with the country and that is all I have ever seen.
Wow, thank you SO much! I was so worried that this -pretty big- company, that admittedly collects user information, where I’ve talked about so many sensitive topics, could link my anonymous nickname to my real person through the billing info (where I have my real name, my address, etc)… so much relieved!

Just one last question: Can you see at least the email of the Apple ID from the people who purchased the app or made an in app purchase? I’m not so concerned about that, but just out of curiosity. Thank you!

nemecek_f

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2022
Just one last question: Can you see at least the email of the Apple ID from the people who purchased the app or made an in app purchase? I’m not so concerned about that, but just out of curiosity. Thank you!
No.

Since Apple ID is an email address, Apple would be giving away direct line of communications to the developers with their users.

Reactions: Populus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.