Question about the glossy screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by inhalexhale, May 10, 2010.

1. inhalexhale macrumors member

Even though there were things about this last update that disappointed me, I was so much looking forward to buying my first Mac I’m willing to overlook the GPU choice, no hdmi, how a 5400rpm hd is stock, extremely high price compared too…..:eek:

Anyway!

I went to the apple store to check out the screen options and play around with them in general. Now, it’s probably the 1,000 fluorescent bulbs in the ceiling, but I can barely see on the glossy displays. My reflection, and everything else around me, was so distracting. Others with me as well said the same thing, and we were all confused how anyone could stand it.

Is this due to the extreme lighting in the store? Meaning, once I’m home in normal lighting conditions is this as reflective as they are in the store? If so, I couldn’t imagine staring at this for a few hours while playing a game or doing work for college. Just trying to get an idea if the glossy screen is always this reflective, because then I’ll go with matte.

Have to admit, I spent a good amount of time on one today and they are really cool :)

2. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Ha, they would never sell a single unit if people brought them home and they actually displayed like they do in the apple store. It is the lights they have in there.

So unless you have the same lighting in your house you will be fine.

On that note, if you have lamp or something directly behind you then you will probaby see a reflection unless you turn your brightness up, but that is fine if you are at home because you can plug in. Otherwise, just position yourself accordingly.

On the other hand, the glossy displays are a wonderful option. In the end I decided that they weren't for me, but more power to you if you buy one and enjoy it.

3. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

well.
    the lighting definitely has effect on how the screen looks.
    in a dark room with nothing to reflect is ideal.
    i don't really know about how they look at the apple store though.
    i mean, i went to the apple store and used the laptops there and i didn't really get bothered by all the lighting and stuff, so maybe the glossy screen just isn't for you. i mean, at home, it will (most likely) not be that bad. but again, i wasn't bothered with the gloss at the apple store so maybe it just doesn't bug me in general and i'm wrong.

4. A Pittarelli macrumors 6502

ive got a glossy and a matte and i by far prefer the matte

5. Ann P macrumors 68020

All comes down to personal preference and user environment I think. I've tried using both matte and glossy in sunlight and couldn't see squat on either one. :rolleyes: For what it's worth, I prefer the matte look but must admit my photos look much better on the glossy screen.

6. A Pittarelli macrumors 6502

yeah no kidding lol

7. TedJustAdmitit macrumors regular

TedJustAdmitit

I bought the Matte in-store, returned it 3 days later and waited for a delivery on the glossy. I was in the store and the glossy looked horrible, without going into reasons for returning my matte. The glossy looks incredible outside the Apple Store. So if you are worried that a glossy screen would look just as bad at home or in the work space, don't worry, it looks great. The Apple Store seems to be a bit backwards, usually if you listen to audio or view an hdtv it looks great in the store and not so hot when you take it home.

8. lizard77 macrumors newbie

Yes exactly. Just buy your glossy screen and take it home and never turn on the light again or let sunshine in your room. :) Of course in the store the problem with reflection is stronger than what you will have at home. But still there will be always reflections. I do not understand why Apple goes with those glossy screens on a portable device. But ok at least Apple gives us the choice for an antiglare even so only on the HR option.

9. moel macrumors 6502

It's been done a million times, but ultimately if you are using your macbook outside, neither a matte or a glossy is going to be worth diddly squat.

I had the huge do i go glossy or do i go matte dilemma before I bought mine...BUT I have to say, i've never had a problem with reflections, and indeed when i did take my MBP out into the sunlight, it was actually easier to see on the glossy display, than i ever would have been able to with my old Powerbook G4's screen.

10. shadygrove macrumors regular

I have a new HiRes glossy and totally happy with my decision but I made a last minute switch not to get an AG model. Why? I am still not sure but i love the vibrancy of the glossy but the black (vs silver) bezel is what did it for me. It was purely cosmetics and gut instinct to get the glossy (I have never had a glossy monitor or laptop). But coming from someone who has had both, I would like to know your reasoning.

Admittedly the glossy was hard to get use to. It hurt my eyes bad for a couple days, then I just got use to it and didn't notice any more right before the point of my actually considering taking it back and ordering another one. Good thing too... I love my glossy screen and really don't notice the glare anymore. I am a programmer too and use inverted color palettes so I end up staring at a black screen all day...glare is hardly noticeable even in my home office right next to the window...preference I guess?

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If you use your laptop in an area with windows (during the daytime), in a room with a table lamp behind you, or an office or cafe with lights on the wall, then you'll have trouble seeing. No question about it.

However, I think the problem looks worse in an Apple Store, or in any large shop, than at home. The reason is because if you're in a really LARGE room, you'll likely see the ceiling lights in the reflection on your screen, even if the screen wasn't tilted really far back. If the room was smaller, then the ceiling wouldn't run so far behind you, so you wouldn't see a reflection of the ceiling lights unless you tilted your screen all the way back. However, at a typical home or office, this isn't an issue unless the room is really big and open.

I still went for the matte though. ;) I'd rather not worry and use my laptop anywhere and everywhere. ;)

12. Sandford macrumors member

Ok. Glossy looks wonderful and unless you are in direct sunlight, reflections doesn't appear to be an issue at all.
    But in EVERY post asserting thing like this, there is NO INDICATION about the brightness level of the glossy screen, to eliminate reflections!
    So please tell what level of brightness you do use to see everything in the right way!

13. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

I have a glossy MBP and I love the screen. It's much more contrasty and looks much sharper. For the reflections, there's a window right behind my desk and I can see it reflected on the screen, however, I never notice it unless I'm looking for it. You can always adjust the screen angle and get rid of most reflections. Lamps on the ceiling are too high to reflect when you're sitting at a desk, and I think in the Apple store you were standing, and the room was probably huge, so the ceiling lights extended far into the background I imagine.

I would always go for Glossy vs. Matte, mostly because Glass is a more tough and higher quality material than plastic, it's smooth and doesn't have a bumpy texture, it's easier to clean and harder to scratch. Also, back in the days of CRT, everyone had glossy screens, and it never bothered anyone. You could argue that many had anti reflective coatings, but I don't think it changed much...

I guess it depends on your preference, but in my opinion reflections are rarely a problem. Maybe outdoors it would be much more distracting, so if you would ever use your laptop outdoors, you might want to get a Matte screen, otherwise, I don't think there's a point.

14. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

After almost 3 years with an alu mirror iMac I wouldn't recommend Apples glass screens to anyone. While it was somehow ok at first, the constant reflections even with no window behind be got more and more annoying.

15. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

When I've been in my local Apple store the glossy screens always look great. I think that's because they have the brightness turned all the way up to compensate for the lighting in the store. They laptops are also plugged in so you can't see how much keeping the screen on maximum brightness negatively affects battery life.

16. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

I love the look of the glossy screens, but the glare is just unmanageable for me. Sure, I can adjust lighting and position to "eliminate" the glare, but I found that after a few days or weeks, I got terrible headaches and eye fatigue (watery eyes, itching). I dumped my glossy display (24" monitor at work), and it cleared up most of my headache problems. My experience is that your eyes end up refocussing between the screen and the reflections, and this constant process (which you adapt to and may not be aware is happening) gives rise to other physical problems.

So, in my case, glossy isn't really an option for something I stare at for more than a few minutes. I went AG on my i5 15" MBP.

YMMV.