Question for 6+ users: Do you get used to the huge bezels?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by markusbeutel, Nov 7, 2014.

1. markusbeutel macrumors regular

That's the one thing holding me back from a 6+, the fact that there's 6 inch phones out there that are smaller, at least height-wise (and yes, some of these even have fingerprint scanners). Just seems like so much real estate is being wasted.

2. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

Yes. I've even grown to appreciate them when I'm taking photos or recording video. Aesthetically they're bleh but functionally they're useful.

3. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Agreed. They provide nice holding spots for your thumbs when holding the phone landscape one handed (which isn't often, mind you, but still). I do wish they will eventually make the front of an iPhone look different, since it doesn't scale very well with larger sizes, but it definitely works well using it.

4. Bahroo macrumors 68000

There is no phone at all out there that is 6 inches screen and smaller then the Plus Im sorry to say...and the bezels are not bad at all on the Plus, the black front and curved edges makes the screen really beautiful actually, the bezels are not bad at all, although obviously they could of made it slimmer for a overall smaller device,

But the thinness of the Plus and weight makes it the easiest phablet to hold and use after a long period of time, slim fit in the pocket, and noticeably thinner then just about every phablet out there

5. BensonTT macrumors regular

BensonTT

Bezel on the plus is pretty ugly.. Note 4 bezel is perfect

6. uchosen macrumors 6502

This. Note 4 has a larger screen but smaller overall size. iP6+ is bezelrifically ugly :mad:

7. markusbeutel thread starter macrumors regular

I was thinking of the Huawei Ascend Mate 7 - pretty sure it's shorter in height with a 6 inch screen (but they put so much bloatware UI on that phone which pretty much negates all its positives :p).

Some good points about using the bezel for taking video/camera - although I think I'd prefer a case adding this option with an extended bezel all things considered.

8. uchosen macrumors 6502

Nexus 6 is gonna be pretty close. Just a tad larger. Though, screen is technically 5.95".

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/si...iPhone-6-Plus,Google-Nexus-6/phones/8908,8626

9. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

It is hahaha I just checked wow. Ascend mate is 157 mm tall iphone 6 plus is 158.1. It is wider though.

10. ARH1956 macrumors 6502

I only notice the bezel on the 6+ when someone points out how "huge" it is. My definition of huge is completely different. I never once considered bezel size as a determining factor in my phone choice. I wanted the best OS with excellent support and good build quality. If bezel size is your primary consideration apparently this thread mentions your other options. Good luck.

----------

I'm guessing there's not going to be a long line and wait for the Huawei, so that's a positive.

11. BensonTT macrumors regular

BensonTT

The note 4 is the perfect looking phone imo.. Only if the note could run iOS i would have bought it already.. lol

12. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Bezels don't bother me nearly as much as the choppiness and occasional crashes. :mad:

13. cababah macrumors 68000

It's been over a month; I'm used to every aspect of my 6+ by now.

14. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

I hold it in landscape and rest my thumbs on the bezels. It makes it seem as if I've stretched the screen.

15. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

Note 3 and 4 are perfect.
    The 6 plus are ugly. But yes, gotten used to it! Slapped on a nice case to make up for the ugly rounded edges too. I love iOS 8, though!

16. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

I don't find them ugly. I've never seen them as a problem. Nothing to "get used to" in my opinion.

17. markusbeutel thread starter macrumors regular

There is if your last device wasn't an iPhone. Very few Android phones have bezels that big - the Xperia Z series comes to mind though.

Although I don't really like the Note 3/4's form factor either, which some other posters have lauded - I had the Note 3, and it just felt kind of blah/utilitarian (and the ridges on the side filled up gook). Note 4 fixed that it looks like, but still not a fan of that fake leather backing.

It's kind of weird how Android is focusing on smaller bezels, with the result being many phones are thicker/heavier, while Apple is going in the exact opposite direction.

18. ARH1956 macrumors 6502

The good news is that you have a choice of android phones to choose from. And it is unlikely you'll have to wait months to get one.

19. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Not the best design aspect, but not a deal-breaker either. Not as bad on the gray, I think.

20. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

21. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Note 4 is both wider and thicker, how did you come to such a computation in your head?

22. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

You get used to it almost immediately. Gives you somewhere comfortable to hold the phone when you are watching videos or reading something.

Looks fine on my space grey as well, blends in nicely with the screen.

23. Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

Yep, I agree, I think that is the key benefit of the bezels....really makes reading on my 6+ in landscape mode with my Kindle app feel so natural....but wow, the 6+ is fricking HUGE when I see it just sitting there on my desk.

24. tracerhawk macrumors member

tracerhawk

This is my exact issue as well. I have an iPhone 5 now, and want to upgrade to a bigger screen. But the bezels on the iPhone 6+ are huge and seem like wasted space. However the screen size on the iPhone 6 just seems like too small of an upgrade.

My perfect phone size is probably the Droid Turbo. It has a 5.2 inch screen, but is only .2 inches taller than the iPhone 6. However, I'm on AT&T and really don't want to switch to Verizon.

25. ARH1956 macrumors 6502

Perhaps you should simply quit using cellphones until one arrives that meets your expectations.