Question for long time Apple Watch Sport owners

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Four oF NINE, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

Do any of you have scratched crystals now? Are any of you beyond your exchange window and regretting not getting the Apple Watch with the sapphire crystal?

2. PrincessKick macrumors newbie

PrincessKick

No scratches and I wear it every day even while exercising. Impressed with its durability.

3. crispApple macrumors regular

crispApple

I have had my sport since May. No scratches at all. Wear it everyday. At least 9 hours a day.

4. Brett1203 macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

I had the Sport for a month and got a scuff on the screen in th first 2 weeks, had it for a month and exchanged for a SS, that was months ago and the Saphire holds up flawless

5. QquegChristian macrumors 6502

Have had mine since 2 weeks after release. Not a single scratch on the screen or the space gray body. Just knocked it with my seatbelt a few hours ago too. Wear it every day. Not even micro scratches when looking at it, screen off, in sunlight.

I've never had an obvious scratch on an iPhone screen either though. Don't use screen protectors. I'm sure there's been micro scratches, but I don't see the issue if it is something you can only see in the right lighting, with the screen off. Also always had my phones sell as top condition. I think a lot of people just got into the habit of putting screen protectors on their phone first thing and are proud that it stayed so scratch free, when the screens are super resilient on their own anyway.

If a thin sticker could do a better job than Gorilla Glass (etc) then I'm sure Apple would be creating their screens out of stickers.

6. Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

Got mine on June 2nd.....I have put mine through the ringer with exercise, installing appliances, wearing it in the shower, etc. etc. and it looks as good as new, not a scratch....have even smashed my watch head on into a door knob 3 or 4 times and still no scratch...I am actually surprised it doesnt have a scratch and I am still so happy I went with the Space Gray Sport over the Stainless Steel. However, when Watch 2 comes out, I will be getting the Stainless Steel to have a dressier version.

7. Nell macrumors regular

Got mine in early June and have worn it all day, every day since then. No scratches as yet and, if it does get scratched, well, compared to the stainless steel version it was relatively cheap so less to get upset about.

8. IW1206MT macrumors member

I purchased mine the first week of July. No scratches whatsoever. It's worn about 12-15 hours a day.

9. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Worn mine every day from day one. Only indications that it's been used are very light scratches on the plastic back. Screen and aluminium body are flawless.

10. Klaatu63 macrumors regular

Klaatu63

Bought my first Apple Sport model in June and the crystal scratched within the 14 day return period. Returned the watch, after a lot of grief at the Apple retail store. Bought it again in July and the crystal scratched again this time after the 14 return period. I have learned to live with the scratch. But I think that the screen is prone to scratch and I would have been better served if I upgraded to the saphire screeen but it is out of my price range.

11. playaproved macrumors 6502

I scratched my face on some stucco while opening a door at work. I also have a few very light scratches on the space grey body. I'll probably be selling this one for a couple hundred bucks and picking up a space black stainless with black sports band. (The watch I wanted Apple to sell me in the first place.)

12. lionsy macrumors 6502

No scratches, I've knocked it a few times, but none yet.

I think I might have cheated a little though, I wore "training wheels" for a few weeks (a watch case) because I'd not worn a watch in about ten years and I'd forgotten the need to protect my wrist!

13. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

Bought mine early June and wear it everyday in a jail setting with no issues, no scratches. I've had a screen protector on since day one and it's definitely saved me a few times.

14. rjlawrencejr macrumors 6502

I have had mine since April 24 and I wear it everyday. My band is a little dull (white) but the watch has no scuffs on the body or the crystal.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've had mine about a month, and so far its in pristine condition. I keep talking about getting a screen protector but so far I've not done it. I may do that today if I have time (there's a zagg kiosk outside my local apple store)

16. Four oF NINE thread starter macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

Thanks for the answers guys! Apparently individual experience varies, but so far the numbers are 12 out of 15 responses reporting no damage.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I opted for the luvvitt ultra armor case for my AW. In part because I didn't want to risk damaging it the external given my usage. The case is unassuming and provides a small lip to protect the screen

At one point I really didn't see the need for such a product but given my usage, I think I wanted to be safer then sorry.

I also recommend AppleCare Plus, its a small investment but it gives you the ability to replace the watch if it does become damaged.

18. Azzin macrumors 68040

Had mine since release day.

I wear it all day, every day and no scuffs or damage showing.

I'm also on holiday with it at the mo and it has behaved perfectly for the last 10 days, whether I've been in the sea, the beach shower, or the pool back at the villa.

Really pleased with my Space Grey Sport.

19. ToverT macrumors member

I've had my 42MM Aluminum since the launch day and not one single scratch on it. I have bumped it a few times on doors or reaching into drawers. So far in perfect condition. I wear it every single day.

20. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I've had mine since 4/28 and there are minor, minor scratches, presumably in the oleophobic coating on top of the crystal. You can't see them unless in direct sunlight. Not sure how the scratches came to be since I'm really careful with my watch, but they don't affect its use and I can't see them in 99% of lighting conditions.

21. kanselmo macrumors member

10 weeks, have one scratch on the glass outside the oled portion. I'm medium careful and consider this ok. I got the SGS because I wasn't sure if I'd wear a watch long-term. Next time, I'd go for the SS for the flexibility with bands and a bit more durability.

22. innominato5090 macrumors 6502

innominato5090

Apple Watch owner since launch day.

I take good care of my devices; that being said, the Apple Watch is a very at-risk device, with its outward facing screen. Mine has a very annoying hairline scratch, which is the result of scraping the watch on a concrete surface.

Next Apple Watch I get will very likely to be a non-sport model.

23. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

I'm actually surprised with the durability of my Sport. I've had it since May. Not a scratch. I'm actually reluctant to post this because I feel like I'll jinx myself and give it a nice gash tomorrow. Not to worry though, there's always Applecare+ :)

24. ddkkpp macrumors 6502

ddkkpp

Got mine 3 weeks after release. Space grey sport. No visible scratches yet, but lots of micro ones under a magnifying glass.

No damage on the body yet. I had an armorshield protector on it that eventually got grimy and fell off, and I had one of those plastic shields for it, but that kept catching on things and popping off....

25. ianrip macrumors 6502

ianrip

work:Oyu Tolgio, Home:LOS, From Scotland G15
    I've had 42 Sport. since middle of May, and compared to other watches I've had its lasted Very well, I wash it once a week or so, I still want a SS but I imagine that the SS will scratch more