question! leaving the country for 9 days!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by montecarloss919, Dec 21, 2008.

1. montecarloss919 macrumors member

Hello all!

so i will be going on a trip to Nicaragua for one of my business classes, and i'd like to have my cell phone active just in case of emergency. I was wondering if there was a way to get a different SIM or do something so i dont get hit with ATT's oh so cheap out of country charge?

Anyone have any recommendations of what to do? Has anyone gone through this situation before? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank You!

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yeah, don't use AT&T for roaming unless you wanna get raped in your next monthly bill. Also, beware Nicaragua, cellphone theft is high in Central America, I am a national of one of those countries and it shames having to say it.

Just get a cheap-o phone and use a local sim card. That's the most cheap method of communicating. Calls to the US from Nicaragua or nearby country are not expensive ($0.02/min from local carrier Tigo in Honduras... same carrier present in Nicaragua) as calls from the US to Nicaragua ($2.20 using AT&T wireless or $0.46 using landline).

questions, post....

3. montecarloss919 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the reply! so should i just bring an old phone and buy a sim card down there?

4. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Not true, we don't have that carrier here in Nicaragua.

I would recommend bringing an old phone, and buying a new SIM card, from either, Claro or Movistar (the only two carriers here). The ones at Movistar, are a little less than $5, the ones at Claro I don't know.

If you want to buy a cheap phone, you can buy them from many gas stations at like $20.

Any other questions about Nicaragua, or something you may need, just PM me. I live here, you will have fun.

EDIT: It was cool seeing Nicaragua being mentioned here :)

5. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Do not take your iphone or any high profile tech gadgets. Don't give
    anyone a reason to steal from you.

And before you leave just give the phone to a local.

6. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Actually Nicaragua is one of the safest countries in America, and with one of the lowest crime rate. You dumbass

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

There is no need to provoke a flame war. Whether Nicaragua has low crime rates or not will vary opinions if you asks nationals. (Remember I'm Honduran, and I can say otherwise) The facts speak for us; however, there is no need to tempt people to steal ones things. If you are foreigner, you will obviously be an easy target for thieves. A national on the other hand can look beyond the obvious and see where dangers lies and stuff.

That being said, I go back to my original advice of not taking any high tech gadget to our (I say our, because in the end, Central America is one) countries. Just take some cheap-o phone and go with Claro carrier over there. And yes, Claro has also cheap rates to the US (we have Claro also in Honduras;))

8. shevi macrumors newbie

If you have wifi in your hotels, you might want to take your iphone (just keep a low profile) to be able to get online. You can also download the fring app to call home using skype (or another voip service). I did this in Costa Rica last month, and it worked wonderfully.

Just make sure to have data roaming off, turn on airplane mode, but then turn wifi on.

9. Robby9279 macrumors regular

Not trying to provoke anything but correct me if I'm wrong. I thought Nicaragua and America were to separate countries? So how could one country be safer than another if it already is in the same country, thus making it like a state?
    I believe you mean Nicaragua is one of the safest countries in the world, not America?

10. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

America is a continent, such as Europe, or Asia. United States of America, is a country, Nicaragua is a country, they both are in the American continent

11. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

Ok

Yes, you are wrong, America is a Continent. The fact that "gringos" are too lazy (or ignorant, or arrogant, your choice) to learn the name of their country is not America, but "United States of America", is so helpless, that mentioning it is just another pointless way to flame ANY thread.

Anyhow, you asked people to correct you if you were wrong, so there you go.

12. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

North America: USA & Canada.
    Central America: Mexico, Panama, etc.
    South America: Argentina, Chile, Brazil, etc.

:)

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Tourists are always the easiest people to steal from in ANY country.

What, is Nicaragua backwards or something, and theives prefer to steal from locals more? I doubt that. Of course an out-of-towner is going to be a bigger target.

It was good advice.

14. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Wrong. Mexico is part of North America.

15. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Reading this thread has made me more ignorant.

16. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

Reading this just made me sad.

17. ec51 macrumors 6502

Actually,

This is wrong.

Technically, continent wise...there is no Central or Latin America.

Mexico...is part of North America.

18. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

South America is commonly refer to as Latin America.

This thread has turned into a geography thread.

19. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

It's not the same though

20. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

Sad indeed...

C'mon Guys/Gals, Didn't you went to school? What where you doing when you took geography?

Could you guys at least google/google-earth before you post?

Wrong.
    Canada, USA and México are North America.
    From Guatemala (and Belice) to Panama, is Central America. This includes Nicaragua, the only country relevant to this post. Then,
    From Colombia, all the way to Chile and Argentina, is called South America.

Wrong, there are both Central and Latin America. However, Central America is a Geographical concept, while Latin America is a language/heritage concept.

Latin America refers to the countries in the American continent that speak a language derived from Latin (spanish, portuguese, and to certain extent, french; thus excluding Belice, Guyana, Suriname, Jamaica, USA, Canada and some of the caribbean islands); altough, some may argue this only applies to spanish speaking countries, then excluding also Brazil, and the dutch/french territories in the Caribbean.

No Sir, Latin America includes also territories belonging to North America, and excludes countries both in Central and South America.

21. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

+10 Internets

Finally someone to clear things up for everyone. (I alrady knew this lol, national of one of them :p)

In any case, advice is, not to take high profile gadgets. Tourists are easiest target abroad.

22. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

You two are...

I, too can copy and paste from wikipedia, but why? Latin America is a socially constructed term mostly referring to Spanish speaking countries, which includes most of South America. There is no right or wrong answer for anything socially constructed.

You two are obviously not from America.

23. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

At least one of them is, he is from Honduras.

24. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

America is commonly refer to as United States. Obviously you're not from America either...

Alright I'll quit. I apologize if I may have step over any line.

25. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Ok, I knew you were referring to United States, but, I hate it when people from there, call their country America, or themselves, american. Sorry