Question to those who upgrade every year.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maflynn, Sep 12, 2015.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For those people who order a new phone every year. What's the motivation of getting the 6s?

I'm not being critical and I know different strokes for different folks but here's what I'm looking at.
    6s.png
    932 dollars for a phone that will replace my current phone that is not even a year old yet.

The 6s has some nice features like force touch, and the camera was improved but dropping close to a 1,000 on a phone is shockingly expensive. I know I would offset the cost by selling my current one, but I'm wondering what's the basic motivation for those who do this often.

2. upnorth85 macrumors 6502

I like to have the latest technology. I buy it on my personal business account.

3. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

I Am just ridiculous and love the newest greatest phone and it's new features!! :)

4. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

5. lovetamarav macrumors regular

I like having the latest and greatest. I love force touch on the watch. I'm excited to see how it works on the phone.

6. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

For me it's always a little, but important thing. I bought a 3GS just before the 4 was launched (that's when I joined MacRumors so I wouldn't make that mistake again). Retina display was a no-brainer. Then to the 5, with the new larger screen. 5s with Touch ID. 6 with a new larger screen. 6s with Force Touch (sorry, 3D Touch - even Craig Federighi got that wrong!). The other stuff like faster processors and better cameras are just gravy.

7. Ortiz7983 macrumors 6502

I'm just a gadget whore and I'm heavily invested in the apple ecosystem and I have to have the latest technology. Just money to me.

8. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Fair enough, thank you for your honesty and saying basically because you want too :) I have to respect that.

9. oneshotpro Suspended

makes them feel good about having that latest high profile phone and gets them some attention and importance in their life.

10. upnorth85, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015

upnorth85 macrumors 6502

Attention from others is not a reason. To this day I never showed off my Apple watch. I do likewise with cars, but park far away. I work hard, earn well and see this as rewarding myself. I never tell anyone because it might only cause envy. I do not have low self esteem or other issues and see no connection or business if any one else. My wife never questions me. I usually give away the older phones to nephews and nieces.

11. Cool Pup, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015

Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

I wouldn't say I do it every year, although I have since getting the 4s... It's more or less that I pass down my phone to my mother usually, and she seemed into the larger screen of the 6 so I just decided to pick it up. Not to mention that, if I do eventually stop buying each year — I'd much rather be on the S cycle due to the refinements that, arguably, should have been in the prior model in the first place. The iPhone 6 was pretty underwhelming spec-wise and feature-wise, and it seems like this one makes up for it in subtle ways.

It could also be that I'm a tech junkie and enjoy having the latest and greatest. It's certainly not the best use of finance, but I figure that I get enjoyment out of it so it's worth it in that regard, at least.

Now I just need to convince myself next year to not get the 7 and wait for the 7s...

12. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

Yeah, it's just because I really enjoy the new technology. I don't have any REAL reason lol. I'm the same with iOS/app updates and stuff too - even if there's nothing noticeable, I always feel better having everything up to date asap.

13. upnorth85 macrumors 6502

Really? Do you really think people have such low self esteem? Does it make you feel better when you see some one with a new gadget?

14. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

The camera is the biggest upgrade for me. Being a photographer my whole life, it is nice to have a camera on you all the time, even if I is a phone. Quit using my Leica and Canon DSLR a while back now my Canon G1X Mk2 does most the serious work images but the 6 is also handy. If the 6S+ camera is as good as Aplle says that will be better. No way of it replacing my camera as I need very wide angle and bounced flash for my interior shots and the iPhone is not up to it, not even the 6S+.

Nothing wrong with the 6 and 6+, it has been my favorite iPhone yet!

15. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Most resell the old phone so in actuality it's more like $200 or so.

Looking at it from that perspective it's not so bad.

Of course it depends on your goals and financial situation too.

For me, I just like new tech and that will never change.

16. Mr.C macrumors 601

Absolute rubbish. I like my tech and I like to have the latest and the greatest with the newest features. I work hard for my money and have the disposable income to pay for the latest devices. Nothing what so ever wrong in that. I don't make a point to tell people overtime I get something new and I don't show off. If anything most people I know are aware I typically upgrade overtime there is a new model and they ask me if I have it and what it's like without me even mentioning it.

17. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Not why I got mine. People I deal and travel with would not know a new iPhone from the old. Just enjoy new tech and have the money to get it.

Your comments seem somewhat bitter;)

18. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

Yea I work incredibly hard for my money and therefore if I want to upgrade I will! Most people wouldn't know I had the 6 or 6s anyway (with the case on and such). It's not like I care to go around and flaunt it to people! I just enjoy the newest technology! :)

19. Sarah Jones 799 macrumors member

Sarah Jones 799

I going to skip next year upgrades and stick to the S cycle.

20. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

If you buy outright it makes sense to upgrade every year b.c of resale value. It cost me $300 to upgrade every year. If I waited to sell my phone and upgrade every 2 years it would probably cost double since the resale value would be cut in half.

Basically it cost the same to upgrade every year as every 2 years if you buy outright, so why not :)

21. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

Curious....thinking of doing this. I do the buy and sell also. But I am staggering upgrades and buying the phone on new 2-yr contract pricing. Therefore breaking even for price of new phone. (Sometimes a bit of a profit).

I'd like to just go away from my contracts and buy outright! What storage etc are you buying and selling? How much are you able to get out of your old phone? I've had pretty good luck so far selling my old iPhones :)

22. leenak macrumors 68020

I have a special situation this year where I will be keeping my 6 and the 6s. 1 will turn into my work phone (new job, they offered me an iPhone but don't want to go that route for a couple reasons) which means I can write it off on my taxes.

23. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

64 gb version. I usually get $500 for it. If you do not want to do any work most websites will even give you over $400 for it.

selling at $500 means I can push it out within minutes of posting it. If I wanted to wait it out I could probably get $550-$575

24. Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Each new update costs me about £175 after the sale of my previous phone and VAT/Tax implications.

25. leenak macrumors 68020

I see you are on AT&T? Verizon and AT&T both charge an extra monthly fee for those that go with the subsidized pricing so in the end, it actually costs you more to buy a phone under that. (I don't know about other carriers) Getting rid of contracts would be cheaper plus the option to sell whenever you want.