Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BruiserBear

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
I think it should be left up to the phone owner to decide if they want to upgrade and take a supposed speed hit.
This assumes the average user is informed and will carefully weigh such a decision, and we know that’s not the case. People expect Apple to release OS updates that run smoothly on their device.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
They also have the same ram, 2gb in both, so it's not that.

Dropping the SE at this point would be unforgivable IMHO. It's identical internally to a 6S and younger too.

But it is 4''
I'm not sure they'll change the UI in some way, but if they do getting rid of the smaller phones could help. And let me tell you as a developer I'm looking forward to having only bigger displays to work with, optimising an app for the Plus size phones and having to support the 5s and the SE can be a pain sometimes.

I don't think we'll see a major overhaul this year, so I think the SE will still be updated and I know many people still have it, but a new UI taking into account the fact that we have taller phones and no home button has to come sooner or later.
I'm fine with them dropping support for 6 and 6+, they're quite old and the fact you can't upgrade the OS doesn't mean you have to get rid of them, as apps like Whatsapp will support iOS 12 for a few years

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I think it should be left up to the phone owner to decide if they want to upgrade and take a supposed speed hit.
They can’t support a device indefinitely. Also at the moment Apple have to test each device to see how it will handle the new update. They may then tweak the update to make it run better on certain devices or decided that a device can’t run the update at all. Even with this process some people still complain once they have upgraded. They can’t test every update on every device they’ve ever made indefinitely and if the goal is to let the user decide if they want to upgrade would there even be a point in testing the update to make sure it’s compatible with said device?

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
If Apple does it it's like saying "iPhone 6 users, you got the cheap battery exchange program to extend life of your beloved phone? Now we drop support for it"

So you have to upgrade :D Cha-ching!

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
Just because people might not be able to update to iOS 13, doesn't automatically make these phones useless. Lots of people continue to use their phones long after they're able to received updates. And it's not like the performance differences between iOS 12 and iOS 13 are going to be substantial. That ship sailed long ago.

Bin Cook

Suspended
Jun 16, 2018
We know Tim hates the SE and SE owners, as the concept of a 4 inch phone offends his paymaster in China and Wall Street. So very possible, I'd say.

Reactions: Val-kyrie

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
I can see the 6 and 6 Plus being dropped as they have 1GB of RAM and is almost 5 years old, but having the SE being dropped would suck.
I agree, but the 6s is still supported and the se has the same soc, so...
But I would be surprised if the iPad mini 3 would still be supported, since it has the same a7 1gb stock as the iPad mini 2, that would be discontinued.
I think all 1gb idevices won’ t get IOS13.

Phogro

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2015
Boston, MA
$12B in service revenue last quarter says this rumor is BS - no way Apple would risk a hit to their current primary growth strategy.

Well, there is one way they risk this hit. Say for example iOS 13 runs terribly on these devices, now they've taken people who have a smooth operating system and are enjoying the currently available services to a software that they hate. Maybe they upgrade to a new iPhone, but maybe they go to Android or maybe they are just miserable on iOS13 which leads to more support calls.

If on the other hand you keep these owners happy on iOS12, yeah they miss out on some of your new services, but they remain happy paying customers for your current services and when they are finally ready to upgrade they won't have a sour apple taste in their mouth and would be more likely to pick an iPhone than considering the competition.

Market analysis is a magical thing and I'm sure Apple spends a lot of resources modeling out these kinds of scenarios. If they remove support for any devices in iOS13 I'm sure they've crunched the numbers and looked at all the angles.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I can see the 6 and 6 Plus being dropped as they have 1GB of RAM and is almost 5 years old, but having the SE being dropped would suck.

I wonder when they stopped selling the 6. We can say it’s 5 years old since the day it was new, but with apple selling brand new old models alongside brand new new model iPads and iPhones for years, I’ll bet the bulk of users got a lot less than 5 years out of their purchase.

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
SE makes zero sense. It has 2GB if RAM and the A9 pushing far less pixels than the 6S/6S Plus.
As proven on Mac OS wich can get hacked to run on non supported HW with very little to 0 issue or speed lags, it rareli is about the specs alone... unfortunatly.

They are getting slower update cycles (due to pricing probably) and they found a way to make people update anyway.
I wonder when they stopped selling the 6. We can say it’s 5 years old since the day it was new, but with apple selling brand new old models alongside brand new new model iPads and iPhones for years, I’ll bet the bulk of users got a lot less than 5 years out of their purchase.
iPhone 6 and 6 Plus were discontinued in most markets on September 7, 2016

EDIT:
Discontinued September 9, 2015; 3 years ago (128 GB models); September 7, 2016; 2 years ago (16 and 64 GB models); September 12, 2018; 7 months ago (32 GB models)

Reactions: SantaFeNM

Longpress

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2016
I’m still using my 6 plus and it just keeps on going. Will be a shame not to be able to upgrade but I knew this day was coming eventually. Will be 5 years old come September. Replaced the battery about a year ago which really breathed some new life into it. The only thing really showing it’s age is the camera. Friends and colleagues are none the wiser with daylight photos but indoors and dusk give it away. All in all a great reminder of the quality of the product. I’ve had 5 work laptops during the same period.

iOS 13 will not be compatible with the iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, or iPhone SE, and support for the original iPad Air and iPad mini 2 will also be dropped, according to a questionable rumor tipped to us by French blog iPhoneSoft.fr.

iphone-6-iphone-se.jpg

This is at least the second time we've heard this rumor this year, but it remains questionable for a few reasons. For one, the iPhone SE uses the same A9 chip as the iPhone 6s and the fifth-generation iPad, so it would seem inconsistent if the iPhone SE was dropped but the latter two devices remained supported.

It could be theorized that Apple wants to drop support for iOS devices with 4-inch displays, including the iPhone 5s and iPhone SE, but there is again some inconsistency there, as the sixth-generation iPod touch will allegedly run iOS 13.

This rumor would be significant if accurate, however, as the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in particular were tremendously popular devices that are likely still in the hands of many millions of customers. Meanwhile, the fan-favorite iPhone SE was only released just over three years ago, in March 2016.

iOS 13 is expected to be unveiled at Apple's annual WWDC keynote on June 3, so we'll find out for sure in less than a month.

Article Link: Questionable Rumor Says iOS 13 Will Drop Support for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, and iPhone SE

Reactions: SantaFeNM

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
As proven on Mac OS wich can get hacked to run on non supported HW with very little to 0 issue or speed lags, it rareli is about the specs alone... unfortunatly.

They are getting slower update cycles (due to pricing probably) and they found a way to make people update anyway.
Yeah but it’s essentially a 4” iPhone 6S and the 6S wasn’t included which leads me to believe the rumor is incorrect. iPhone 5S, 6 and 6 Plus make perfect sense as they will be 6 and 5 years old with 1GB of RAM.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
They were still selling iPhone SE a month ago according to multiple reports on this website!

True, but those were "refurbished." I don't know about Apple's track record in terms of OS support for refurbished devices. They do sell some 2014 and 2015 era Macs as refurbished, so who knows.

But the SE was on the main apple.com/iphone website just last year. It would be way too Android-like to ditch OS support so quick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.