Questionable Rumor Says iOS 13 Will Drop Support for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, and iPhone SE

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 10, 2019.

1. realtuner macrumors 65816

realtuner

Say what? Please explain why iOS can’t use a newer, faster processor because it also works on older devices.

Does Win 10 run slow on an i9 just because it also runs on an older Core 2 Duo?

2. terpsbball2002, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019

terpsbball2002 macrumors member

terpsbball2002

All of this could be avoided if apple would just put enough RAM in their phones, even at 2GB when I got my iPhone 6s was small back then (especially for a 64Bit OS). The iPhone XR only has 3GB of RAM, how long before that phone gets cut off? If we are paying a premium for phones, I wish apple would stop nickel-and-diming us on the specs.

My 6s could definitely use another GB of RAM, apps constantly need to be closed and restarted. Not sure if others have the same issue?

3. Val-kyrie macrumors 68000

This is exactly why Apple would drop support for the SE. They are feeling the lack of sales from the battery upgrade program and need a way to force upgrades to drive new revenue.

Their primary growth strategy is upgrades.

4. Sir Ruben macrumors 68000

Sir Ruben

Thats one way to ensure that those massively popular and still incredibly common 6's and SE's are finally retired so apple can get those upgrades rolling again! Maybe some of those customers will move on to this years iPhone, 3
    three lenses people!, three!. What's not to love aside from the price, the design, the fact that you may not care less about having 3 lenses, and that you were perfectly happy with your current phone. Go Apple!

5. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Gonna be some real ******** if Apple drops their lone supported 4" device without something new to replace it.

6. entropi macrumors 6502

7. rp2011 macrumors 65816

rp2011

Yep. And if you have to keep dragging legacy software around then they can’t innovate to let the chip work to its fullest potential. People say how more powerful the A series chips are year after, and how the iOS software has been its limiting and weakest link in having it do more. Hopefully this is a sign iOS 13 will finally be the software that allows iPhones but especially the iPad Pro be the software that can live up the newest chips full potential.

8. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

would be nice if they'd release security updates for older models, but it would probably be a headache to deal with these old devices, and would once again give people a reason to avoid buying a new model.

on the other hand, i'm considering switching to android phones, since it's cheaper to buy a new phone every year or every other year than an iphone, and their os is decent at this point.

9. panjandrum, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019

panjandrum macrumors 6502

panjandrum

Alternatively, they could simply hire competent programmers that can produce fast, non-bloated, properly multi-threaded code. Or give their current programmers time to optimize their code properly. But that requires the corporate mindset that they don't want to force old equipment into obsolescence unnecessarily, which of course they do want to do as long as it isn't blindingly obvious as that drives sales as a people's older device "get slow."

Never underestimate the power that bloated or otherwise crappy code has to cripple perfectly capable hardware. Clearest "sort of recent" example would be the BeOS running on old PPC hardware. The MacOS at the time often struggled to perform adequately under even the most basic of situations. Want to play a Quicktime movie and do anything else at all? Good luck! The BeOS on identical hardware easily provided 5 or 6 times the overall power. You could simultaneously play several QT movies AND have those projected and transformed in real-time onto a 3D floating cube, and the system would still be incredibly responsive. In other words, Apple's own software was catastrophically crippling their hardware.

VR gaming is another area where suddenly companies must, and are, producing much more optimized code, because they simply HAVE to do it until the hardware finally catches up. And, amazingly, they can! For those unfamiliar, a VR game with head-tracking requires 90fps to avoid inducing hurling on the part of the viewer. At the same time, doing true multi-projection 3D (as opposed to depth-map based 3D such as that performed by the SuperDepth 3D ReShade project) that VR requires often drops the FPS to one-third what it was without 3D. That is, a game that ran at only 30fps in the first place may suddenly run as low as 10fps once you transform it for 3D; both the GPU and the CPU take a huge-hit when doing true 3D. Now, take into consideration that 30FPS is "good enough" as a minimum when head-tracking isn't an issue and suddenly you have a situation where programmers may have to figure out how to get nine times the performance out of a game than they previously did (they've got to get their lousy, bloated code than can barely manage 10fps in 3D to run at 90fps as a minimum).

So in the end, if Apple actually wanted to support "older" devices, they certainly could. Every once in a while they might have to drop a feature that the hardware itself simply won't support, but they could definitely support far more hardware than they actually do.

10. axboi87 macrumors regular

axboi87

SE User here. I'd be fine with this as iOS 12 is a tremendously streamlined and efficient OS and newer versions of Apps almost never require the latest OS anyway, so a device can easily remain functional upwards of 2-3 years after it's last iOS update.

I only planned on keeping my SE for 2-3 more years anyway, so if it's stuck on iOS 12....great

11. Elijen macrumors 6502

Elijen

Whoa, I guess I am just 1 year from having to upgrade my iPhone 6s ... I am thinking an Android phone ...

With that there is no point for a new Apple Watch and my next laptop for sure won't be a Macbook. There goes more than $4000 for Apple just from me.

12. neuropsychguy macrumors 65816

neuropsychguy

We hope Apple sells new phones! Wouldn't that be a shock to have Apple announce they aren't releasing any new models this year because iPhones are as good as they can ever be?!

The 5s will likely not be able to receive iOS 13 but Apple dropping support for the 6 would be a major surprise.

13. Suttree macrumors regular

Suttree

Welcome to the new Apple. Like the old Apple but much worse. Now you will be forced to upgrade to $2000 iPhone 11. Plus $2000 iWatch, $2,000 big iPod touch. Plus $5,000 Mac.

And of course people will be happy to hand over that money for the shiny Apple logo.

14. neuropsychguy macrumors 65816

neuropsychguy

Why? iOS 12 sped up older devices. My daughter's 5s was significantly faster in 12 than in 11 (this was true for my 7 as well). Going from 10 to 11 didn't slow the 5s down.

15. Defthand macrumors 65816

At this point, smartphones are like lawnmowers. Unless Apple invents a more compelling way to cut the grass, there's no incentive to replace a device that does what you want satisfactorily. Problem is, finding new uses for phones is getting harder. And useful improvements to tech toys in general are said to be in AI abilities, a quality that Apple isn't leading.

16. RevTEG macrumors 6502a

RevTEG

Maybe that’s the point. Apple may want all those “too many” 6/6’s owners to buy much newer iPhones.

17. tha_man macrumors member

tha_man

Dropping support for SE, considering it was still sold just a few months ago, would be a pretty dick move by Apple. But I wouldn't be surprised regarding other mentioned devices, since they already started showing age, mostly because lack of RAM. But for basic usage they still work well.

18. neuropsychguy macrumors 65816

neuropsychguy

Why are you being forced to buy Apple products (except for iWatch, which isn't an Apple product)? That sounds like a pretty bad situation to be in (someone/people forcing you to spend money you do or do not have). Hopefully you escape it soon.

I'm a longtime Apple user but had no difficulty buying a Dell laptop last year rather than a MacBook Pro. If you think Apple products are overpriced, buy something else or nothing at all.

19. RevTEG macrumors 6502a

RevTEG

Because Apple delayed new features to focus on bugs in iOS 12. 13 won’t be that way.

20. neuropsychguy macrumors 65816

neuropsychguy

Someone still isn't forced to buy Apple products even if they are part of the ecosystem. I'm heavily in the Apple ecosystem (iPhone, Apple Watch, 2 Macs at work, 2 Macs at home, iCloud, and Apple Music) but use a Dell laptop (running Linux) as my main personal computer.

Being tied to an ecosystem increases inertia for using some other brand but there is still choice.

21. Erikaaaaa macrumors newbie

Erikaaaaa

22. terpsbball2002 macrumors member

terpsbball2002

I was thinking exactly this, Apple can flip the switch whenever they need- Slow/Fast.

23. PastaPrimav macrumors 6502a

Not talking about the 6S.

24. LordVic macrumors 603

I think it akes some sense that they want to cut off certain devices that no longer meet specific hardware requirements. it happens all the time in tech and it's a logical and sometimes necessary step to take.

the devices in question are 1gb devices. At some point, the more features, functionality and tools you add to software, the more memory it's going to require to work. we are continously asking more and more of our devices, and the software we use also does more and more everyday. All of this has it's cost on resources available.

1gb in 2019 is just not enough anymore.

By keeping them supported, it would mean that iOS13 MUST work using < 1gb of RAM. in fact likely, the OS portion would be limited to <500mb due to resources being required for the applications themselves.

having a limit like that could very well just be limiting the scope of what Apple wants to do with iOS13, having to target the lowest common denomenator. I have an iPad Air (old one with 1gb) and, while iOS12 is immensely better on it than 11 was. it's still not a great experience. the lack of RAM is extremely noticable with background programs stopping. Or programs that typically use a lot of RAM (slack) taking up to 45 seconds to load.

it's basicalyl the same reason why there's no 256mb computers still out there and the absolute bare minimum should be 4 (though 6gb in reality)

25. realtuner macrumors 65816

realtuner

The poster you replied to mentioned the 6 and 6 Plus along with the SE and you replied they’re the same phone.