Questionable Rumor Suggests iOS 13 Will Drop Compatibility for iPhone 5s Through iPhone 6s [Updated]

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A questionable and unconfirmed rumor from Israeli site The Verifier suggests that Apple's iOS 13 update, expected to be previewed this summer at the Worldwide Developers Conference, will drop support for a number of iPhones and iPads.

The site says iOS 13 will be unavailable on the iPhone 5s, iPhone SE, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, and iPhone 6s Plus, all devices that are compatible with iOS 12.

As for iPads, The Verifier believes Apple will drop support for the iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3, iPad Air, iPad Air 2, and possibly the iPad mini 4. The sixth-generation iPod touch is listed as a device that will also be incompatible with iOS 13.

If this rumor is true, and we don't know that it is because The Verifier did not provide details on where the information is from or how it was obtained, it would see Apple dropping support for three generations of iPhones at one time, a move that seems somewhat unlikely.

Apple aims to provide software updates for its iOS devices for as long as possible. Both iOS 12 and iOS 11 offered support for the iPhone 5s and newer, the iPad mini 2 and newer, and the iPad Air and newer. At the time iOS 12 launched, some of those devices were five years old.

Dropping support for everything up to the iPhone 7 would leave iOS 13 compatible only with iOS devices from 2016 or later. Two of those devices, the iPad mini 4 and the sixth-generation iPod touch, are current-generation devices, though they may not be by the time iOS 13 launches as updates for both are in the works.

To cast further doubt on the site's claims, it lists the iPhone 6s as a device that won't support iOS 13 without naming the fifth-generation iPad. Both the fifth-generation iPad and the iPhone 6s use the A9 chip.

The Verifier claims that in addition to dropping support for iOS 13 on a wide swath of devices, Apple will also restrict some iOS 13 features to newer models to "make as many users upgrade to the latest models of iPhones." While it's true there are sometimes iOS features limited to newer devices because of hardware limitations, Apple has a long history of supporting older devices for years after launch.

The Verifier has previously provided semi-accurate info on Apple's plans. In 2017, for example, the site said Apple would bring Group FaceTime to iOS 11. We did get Group FaceTime, but not until iOS 12.1 in 2018.

Update: The Verifier has updated the original article to list the lack of iOS 13 support for the iPhone SE and iPhone 6s as "questionable" rather than concrete.

Article Link: Questionable Rumor Suggests iOS 13 Will Drop Compatibility for iPhone 5s Through iPhone 6s [Updated]

Reactions: Kenan_hydrotech

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
Looks like someones Cooked up a new way to generate revenue! Can't battery change your way out of software deprivation.

edit: deprecation, but I'll keep the original.
Considering Tim Cook recently said that people don't update the way they used to, pulling a move like this will burn way too many iPhone users and permanently hurt the brand.

I can see the iPhone 5s being retired. Maybe even the six. 6s? That's pushing it in one shot.

Falhófnir

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2017
I think the 5s, 6 and 6 plus are reasonable candidates for the chopping block (if the 5s hadn't got an extra year with 12 the 6 series would be dropped this year anyway). The 6S is a much more capable phone though so I'm not sure Apple would really want to cut it's support short?

JosephAW

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2012
More like they will drop any device that doesn't support Face ID and require High Sierra or higher to knock off older devices with headphone jack and older MBP and Mini and Pro desktops for new releases iOS devices.

RedGala

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
Apple has an incentive to fill iOS 13 with a massive truck load of fun and useful features, which will get a lot of people on iPhone 5s - 6S to upgrade.

People who see this as a mischievous plan are inconsiderate of the difficulty that comes from maintaining support for so many devices, and having features that those devices can run without being strained by processing power / screen size. In my opinion, this is a natural next step for iOS that Apple can happen to leverage for more sales. Better software that relies on better hardware may be key to selling more new iPhones.

dumastudetto

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2013
I think the 5s, 6 and 6 plus are reasonable candidates for the chopping block (if the 5s hadn't got an extra year with 12 the 6 series would be dropped this year anyway). The 6S is a much more capable phone though so I'm not sure Apple would really want to cut it's support short?
iOS 13 is expected to be a substantial upgrade with a radical home screen overhaul. It's logical that older devices will be unable to support these advanced new features and technologies from Apple. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect all people using iPhone 6s and older to upgrade this year.

Sasparilla

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2012
Gotta call BS on this one - this isn't an Android OEM. Apple will drop support for the 5s and iPad Air (both from the same year if memory serves) just like normal.

The SE still has several years left, just like the 6s does from whence it came.

No thanks. I'm sticking to iOS 6 with beautiful UI to save my eyes
I still miss that UI design, good enough to lick, would switch back to it in a moment if I could.

Falhófnir

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2017
iOS 13 is expected to be a substantial upgrade with a radical home screen overhaul. It's logical that older devices will be unable to support these advanced new features and technologies from Apple. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect all people using iPhone 6s and older to upgrade this year.
I doubt they could do much to make it a lot more intensive than it already is (I mean, they already have the transparency effects which is about as hard on the GPU as it gets) - aside from that, the A9 is nearly twice as powerful as the A8 on the GPU side. iPhones have an average of 5 iOS versions (the 5s has received an extra one with 12) I really just can't see Apple dropping the 6s after 4, particularly as it's still running perfectly well and they've just been hyping up how they support their devices and people are keeping them longer.