Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Mac Observer reports that it has received an image from a source showing what is claimed to be the "glass" for Apple's much-rumored tablet device, although the image actually depicts a front bezel.

170201-questionable_tablet_bezel.jpg

With no sense of scale for the image, the report relies on the source's claim that the "glass" (presumably the bezel opening for the screen) measures in at 10 inches. The bezel has a nearly-identical appearance to that of the iPhone aside from the claimed size, with a home button at one end of the screen and a slot similar to that of an iPhone's speaker at the other end. The image also depicts a small hole at the top left corner of the bezel, with speculation centering on it possibly being for a camera lens.
We aren't positive about how this device would be presented, but we thought it made the most sense in a vertical alignment. If it is legit, one wold think that the slot at the top is for a speaker, while the hole in the upper left could be for a camera lens. The button on the bottom, of course, would likely be a Home button, the same with the iPhone.
As for the reliability of the source, The Mac Observer notes only that it is trusted. We, however, are extremely skeptical of the claims, and barring additional evidence, we are posting this item on Page 2 merely for interest and discussion.

Article Link: Questionable Tablet Bezel Image Surfaces

zed2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
Bucks
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Fake. I'd be very very surprised if this turns out to be true.

mojoxp

macrumors member
May 18, 2006
Scale, size of the button relative to the speaker slot, etc... all make this look like the iPhone 4G. Looks like there's a bit more room on the bottom and the corners are slightly more beveled.

MasterDev

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
Apple would reinvent the idea... Not reuse it as a giant iPhone. Plus where is the camera going to go? (If there is one) and what's with the earpiece?

phillipjfry

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Peace in Plainfield
If my new Tablet looks like an over-sized iPhone, I will have lost all hope in Apple's creativity.

It's fake through and through. A slot to...? Swipe your credit card through for iTunes Store purchases? The hole on the bottom is a speaker? :p

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
This is clearly an iPhone bezel for God's sake!

Why on Earth are we saying it's a tablet. It's identical to the iPhone and with nothing for scale - you have to say it's an iPhone. Occam's razor!

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
This doesn't really appear to be a potential 4th gen iPhone bezel to me. I know we don't have any sense of actual size here, but look at the size of the home button cut-out in proportion to the width of the screen opening. On current iPhones, the screen is about 2 inches wide, with the home button being about 1/2 inch in diameter (screen is roughly 4 times as wide as the home button). This things screen width looks to be 8 to 10 times the width of the home button. That's either a huge screen, or Apple shrunk the home button down to about half the diameter of the current home button(look at your iPhone and imagine the home button being half that diameter---seems way too tiny). So I say this is neither the 4th gen iPhone bezel, nor the Apple tablet bezel (because of the ear-speaker slot).

actorkid

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
guys. the home button area looks smaller because they're replacing the home button with a useless scroll ball! </joke>

but really, this strikes me as more of a 4th gen iPhone front rather than the tablet. It makes no sense for the tablet to look like that. If this were a valid apple product at all, I would pin it to the next iPhone. Perhaps they'd be doing something new with the home button. That little dot in the top left corner? Please say it's a notification light.

Littlewizkid

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2008
None of your bizness
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; ADR6200 Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

This is clearly an iPhone bezel that has been digitally streched. Looks like someone had fun with PhotoShop

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; ADR6200 Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

This is clearly an iPhone bezel that has been digitally streched. Looks like someone had fun with PhotoShop

I'd say that too. Looking at the proportions of the home button area, and now that I look at it more, the ear-speaker slit (assuming those 2 items would be the same size as the current home button and ear slit), this would be an usually wide iPhone in the hand. If they are the same size as current, there's twice as much (or more) area between the edges of them and the edge of the phone.

orion123

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2003
Boston
Couldn't it also be one of those big iPhone demo units they put in the windows of the stores? The "camera hole" is either photoshopped or where the hanging wire for the demo unit goes

damage00

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2008
The hole in the upper-left is...

The hole in the upper-left is for the backlight sensor. If you look at current iPhones in bright light, you can see actually three of these little buggers, two next to the speaker and one as shown in the above photo.

Serious doubts this is a tablet. Remember all of the pre-release iPhone faked mock-ups, they all looked like iPods; many even had click wheels. Boy, I'm glad those puppies never shipped! What Apple really released was completely different.

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island
Definitely NOT the "forthcoming" Apple tablet. Possibly the next iPhone bezel, seems to mimic the iPod Touch more closely, what with the smaller home button and all. If this is actually what the tablet looks like, I may just drink some bleach.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
I did some calculations assuming the iSlate's home button was the same size as the iPhone's home button. The iPhone's home button is about 7/16 of an inch in diameter.

So using pixel dimensions, the 7/16" home button is 30 pixels. From there you can calculate the other dimensions from the number of pixels. This isn't exact due to the angle, but it gives a rough estimate and looks like 10" is the size of the screen.

You can double check my math if you like...

Attachments

• bezel_calcs.jpg
    bezel_calcs.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 130

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I did some calculations assuming the iSlate's home button was the same size as the iPhone's home button. The iPhone's home button is about 7/16 of an inch in diameter.

So using pixel dimensions, the 7/16" home button is 30 pixels. From there you can calculate the other dimensions from the number of pixels. This isn't exact due to the angle, but it gives a rough estimate and looks like 10" is the size of the screen.

Re-do those calculations and use the ear-piece slot for measurements.

This is clearly the iPhone 4G, and it has a smaller Home Button, and larger screen but keeping the same dimensions of the iPhone. Larger screen - maybe why Apple was asking developers to test their apps out on the "tablet simulator".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.