Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In addition to our standalone articles covering the latest news and rumors at MacRumors, this Quick Takes column provides a bite-sized recap of other headlines about Apple and its competitors on weekdays.

webkit-red-iphone.jpg

Monday, April 2
WebKit's verified Twitter account teases "cool new Apple products" in the pipeline: WebKit is the open source web browser engine used by Safari on macOS and iOS, so the tweet from the Apple-owned account could be referring to a wide range of different products.

Pssst! Can you keep a secret? Cool new Apple products are coming and WebKit needs your help to take full advantage of the [redacted]. The WebKit Platform Integration team is waiting to hear from you! https://t.co/lEHK68DWZi - WebKit (@webkit) April 2, 2018

What Apple's education announcements mean for accessibility: Accessibility expert and former special educator Steven Aquino believes that an iPad is far superior to a Chromebook in many levels of special education. Nevertheless, he feels there is enormous potential for Apple to go further. For example, he says Apple could broaden its new Schoolwork app to incorporate Individualized Education Programs.
Red-colored iPhones may still be coming: On March 21, 2017, Apple unveiled a special (PRODUCT)RED edition of the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus. Rumor has it Apple may do so again this year with the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and/or iPhone X at some point this month.

Same and still "unverified" source "confirms" new red colored #iPhone(s) is on his way and may be released this month... - Steve H. (@OnLeaks) April 1, 2018

macOS 10.13.4 and external displays with DisplayLink software aren't playing friendly: In the meantime, DisplayLink has released a new version 4.3 driver that will enable clone mode, but not mirror or extended mode displays on macOS 10.13.4. The notice from DisplayLink's website:
We have become aware that installing macOS release version 10.13.4 will cause DisplayLink connected displays to go blank after the OS upgrade, with the current DisplayLink driver [4.1] installed. Functionality such as Ethernet and audio, where implemented, is unaffected. We have alerted Apple to this issue and are working hard to find a resolution. These features continue to work as expected in macOS 10.13.3.
Chrome Remote Desktop and Hotels.com apps optimized for iPhone X display: The updates are available from the App Store. The wait continues for a handful of other popular apps, including Inbox by Gmail, Google Authenticator, iMovie, and Amazon Alexa.

For more coverage of Apple, visit our Front Page, Mac Blog, and iOS Blog. Also head to our forums to join in the discussion.

Article Link: Quick Takes: WebKit Team Teases 'Cool New Apple Products' as Rumors Persist About Red iPhones

___joshuaturner

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2017
Wonder if adoption to the notch is going slower than that of the changed 16:9 aspect in the iPhone 5 from the 1.5:1 before.

It's anecdotal, but it feels like adoption is faster this time. When the 5 came out - I noticed apps with black bars for a very long time. With the X, it feels like most core apps were ready at launch and the rest within a few months.

Reactions: FightTheFuture

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
Don't see what the obsession is with red since it's associated with communism. Prefer something that mimics nature like this beetle color transition which is currently the best looking on the market.

huawei_p20_pro_review_2.jpg
To each thier own. I think purple is hideous on a phone and is pretty feminine.

Reactions: thasan and 24601

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Don't see what the obsession is with red since it's associated with communism.

I Don’t think every consumer shares your view about communism when They think of a Product Red iPhone, that said, the Product Red iPhone is an extremely popular color in China because red is equivalent to good luck. Personally, if it was made with a black bezel in the front, that would be more aesthetically pleasing for me.

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2011
I’m still bummed I missed the red iPhone 7. Beautiful color.

I waited a long time for a red, top of the line iPhone. Of course it has been passed by the 8 and X for "top of the line" but neither included features or benefits I'd prioritize over the great color of the red 7. I'd love it if this extended to iPads at some point, even if for a promotional run.

yearbooknerd

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2009
chicago
Painting an iphone a different color isn't what I consider a 'cool new product.' This company has lost its ability to excite me about their products.

When the company that created the Mac, iPod and iPhone spend 10 or more minutes trying to convince me that a watch band is revolutionary, that's when I have to stop drinking the Kool Aid.

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
If the only basis for Apple releasing a new red iPhone this year is because they did it in March last year, then I think a lot of people will be disappointed (including me!).

Wasn’t the Red iPhone released to acknowledge Apples 10 year partnership with (RED)?

Reactions: 24601

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Could WebKit be referring to web based apps that will be the new normal with the inevitable changeover to arm macs?

Reactions: jeremiah256

Williesleg

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2014
Thinking another wasted product, iGlasses.

I wish we could get back the old Apple but I'm afraid it's too late. They're out of mojo.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
That WebKit tweet looks like the biggest non-story I've ever seen, even for a Quick Takes article.

To me, clearly just reads as an advert for their job listings. The 'cool new products' part means absolutely nothing, and the '[Redacted]' only confirms it was light hearted.

The bigger story would be if Apple weren't working on new things!

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
While the color red's connection to communism is tenuous at best, it is very clear as to who Apple is sucking up to by releasing the red phone - its Chinese customers, oh what do we know, where communism happens to the dominant political belief!

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Painting an iphone a different color isn't what I consider a 'cool new product.' This company has lost its ability to excite me about their products.

When the company that created the Mac, iPod and iPhone spend 10 or more minutes trying to convince me that a watch band is revolutionary, that's when I have to stop drinking the Kool Aid.

Why does every single model year need to be “cool” and “exciting”?

Guda.FL

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2015
Wife and her friends never got the X because it doesn't have come in rose gold type. But im sure that will be the "new" color in september. Apple has become so damn predictable.

Reactions: simonmet

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Don't see what the obsession is with red since it's associated with communism. Prefer something that mimics nature like this beetle color transition which is currently the best looking on the market.

huawei_p20_pro_review_2.jpg

It’s also associated with happiness, love, excitement, and heroism in many cultures way before communism existed and I doubt most people would associate a red iPhone with communism. I mean, it’s not like Santa Claus is communist. I image it would sell quite well in Eastern Asia, where red has had a positive connotation for thousands of years.

Reactions: ronntaylor

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
Webkit- I don’t understand if macrumors has ever been on LinkedIn, but that tweet is just a normal tweet and, it’s no teaser...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.