Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
Damn, always wanted a red edition iPhone X. Hopefully they have the red edition around for the iPhone Xs release.

Will.O.Bie

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2016
I Don’t think every consumer shares your view about communism when They think of a Product Red iPhone, that said, the Product Red iPhone is an extremely popular color in China because red is equivalent to good luck. Personally, if it was made with a black bezel in the front, that would be more aesthetically pleasing for me.

I agree. My wife really liked the red 7+ but hated the white bezels, it really looked awkward, hence she waited to upgrade. If they come up with a X+ Red w/ black bezels, she'll be totally stoked to get that phone.

Reactions: 44267547

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
A Product RED iPhone 8 and 8 Plus are very likely. But a Product RED iPhone X is unlikely, given the high production cost of the iPhone X as it currently stands.

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
Don't see what the obsession is with red since it's associated with communism. Prefer something that mimics nature like this beetle color transition which is currently the best looking on the market.

huawei_p20_pro_review_2.jpg

Does anyone under 50 and not american even use the word Communism anymore, let alone associate it with a colour ? If anything in western culture red is the colour of sports cars and I dont see Ferrari dropping their classic red sports car anytime soon...

From a non-Western point of view -

"Red is the most powerful of all colors in Indian culture and holds many important meanings. Among them are fear and fire, wealth and power, purity, fertility, seduction, love, and beauty. Red is also representative of a certain time and place in one’s personal life, including when a woman gets married. A married woman can be identified by the red henna on her hands and the red powder, known as sindoor, worn along her hairline.

In South Africa, red is associated with mourning, and the section of red in the country’s flag symbolizes violence and sacrifices that were made during the struggle for independence.

In Thai tradition, each day of the week is assigned a specific color and is linked with a particular God. Red is the color for Sundays, and it’s associated with Surya, a solar God, who was born on this day. Many Thai people pay their respects to Surya by wearing red on his birthday each year.

In Chinese culture, red is traditionally worn on the New Year, as well as during funerals and weddings. It represents celebration and is meant to bring luck, prosperity, happiness, and a long life to the people."

So not a bad colour to be using.

femike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Mac Mini.

And modem/router units as well, that works worldwide.
Modem/router is the gateway to the internet and its an important product that should be included in their line up.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Don't see what the obsession is with red since it's associated with communism. Prefer something that mimics nature like this beetle color transition which is currently the best looking on the market.

huawei_p20_pro_review_2.jpg
I actually quite like that, is it a skin?

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Each time I read people saying Apple has lost it, I think at this:

imac-780x439.png

A red iPhone will be welcomed, as it has become king of a classic color in various Apple linups.
Wow, flower power and blue Dalmatian! Had forgotten about those colors!

I wonder if the issue behind the display link displays is the same one(s) that broke Duet’s compatibility?

kimmen

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
Norway
Does anyone know why they called it (PRODUCT)RED, or what it refers to?
Is it the name of that specific shade of red, or something else?

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2011
Does anyone know why they called it (PRODUCT)RED, or what it refers to?
Is it the name of that specific shade of red, or something else?

PRODUCT(Red) is a project lead by U2's Bono to raise money for and awareness about Aids epidemics... primarily in Africa. They partner with iconic brands, like Apple, to create products with the color red and a portion of the profits from those products' sales will go toward the fund.

https://www.red.org

Reactions: kimmen

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
With the kinds of bugs we now see in iOS it wouldn’t surprise me if making a red backed iPhone X required a WebKit/browser developer.

chitownog22

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2012
That WebKit tweet looks like the biggest non-story I've ever seen, even for a Quick Takes article.

To me, clearly just reads as an advert for their job listings. The 'cool new products' part means absolutely nothing, and the '[Redacted]' only confirms it was light hearted.

The bigger story would be if Apple weren't working on new things!

lol Yeah, seems like Macrumors missed the point of that tweet and really stretched this one.

Reactions: cambookpro

jjudson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
North Carolina
Red iPhones...

Talk about lowering expectations.

Steve Jobs is rolling over in his grave. It's time for some new visionary management.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Since "when" the grammar of society is so poor?
Since english is not my native language just like 90% of the internet users including on this forum. I made myself pretty clear with my statement and it's obvious to understand.
[doublepost=1522778810][/doublepost]
Red iPhones...

Steve Jobs is rolling over in his grave. It's time for some new visionary management.

56A03364-2F8B-432C-A86F-AC8625F4A72E.jpeg

22126D6A-AC3D-4B1A-A1D4-A8B4B69357D3.jpeg
I'm pretty sure he is.

jjudson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
North Carolina
I'm pretty sure he is.

It's not the color, it's the attitude. "Cool new Apple products"? Like the constant re-purposing of old tech (SE, 6th Gen iPad, 2007 operating system interface, adding touch strips to old-style Macbooks, etc.) or things that never hit their stride like Apple TV, or already-vintage-looking new releases like Apple Watch, or features that aren't really features (like animated emojis -- or new emojis to add to the hundred already there).

Where's the innovation? Where's the new look? Where's the "next big thing"? In my opinion, releasing a gold or red iPhone and calling it "cool new Apple products" doesn't cut it any more.

It's time for new management...

Reactions: kimmen

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Red iPhones...

bono-apple-product-red-steve-jobs-800x515.jpeg

It's not the color, it's the attitude. "Cool new Apple products"?…

Where's the innovation? Where's the new look? Where's the "next big thing"? In my opinion, releasing a gold or red iPhone and calling it "cool new Apple products" doesn't cut it any more.
You are aware that the rumours about an iPhone RED and the "cool new products" tweet are (most likely) completely unrelated?

Reactions: orbital~debris
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.