Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
One of the interesting features of the new Quicken is that Quicken Billpay is included. At around ~$10 a month, that means a savings of about $120 a year which more than covers the ~$70 cost of Premier at Costco.

The lead article mentions a 2 year subscription for $119.99. Searched their website and can't find it anywhere.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
The lead article mentions a 2 year subscription for $119.99. Searched their website and can't find it anywhere.

Me too. Can't find any reference to 2 year subscriptions there. However amazon.com has 27 month Premier subscriptions for $129.99 (Deluxe is $89.99) with an additional 15GB of Dropbox (20GB total).

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Me too. Can't find any reference to 2 year subscriptions there. However amazon.com has 27 month Premier subscriptions for $129.99 (Deluxe is $89.99) with an additional 15GB of Dropbox (20GB total).
2-year subscriptions are only available through third-party retailers. Office Depot, Best Buy and Staples have good deals right now ($65 for two years of Deluxe).

Reactions: jgleigh and HDFan

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Darn! Wish I had shopped around. I bought a 1 year through Quicken.

I think they have a 30-day return policy!

Maybe lucky only bought a one-year subscription: if the product is a total mess, only on the hook for one year, if past the 30 day mark. Quick search on Quicken site does not turn up any cancellation information (ie. pro-rated refunds).

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2010
Do any of these financial apps actually work fully for non-US users (eg. UK)?

Yes. Most of these tools will allow you to import .qif, .csv, .ofx or similar files that you can get off internet banking from most UK banks so transactions are easy to import. For tracking stocks & shares, most will will pull down latest quotes from Yahoo or similar automatically (i.e. no need to have connection to your brokers' accounts) and you just manually add your buy/sell transactions.

I use MoneyDance and find it worth the time.

PSA: GnuCash is a freeware alternative

MacBeast

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2008
You lose online functionality such as automatic downloads, mobile sync, and billpay. You also lose support. You can still view your data, export, and make manual edits.
https://www.quicken.com/mac/faq

For many years I have been using the 2007 version without any online features. I enter all transactions and quotes manually, and I don't use bill pay. So, this means I could buy a 1 year subscription, and when that expires, continue doing as I am now, with no limitation on manual data entry, editing or reporting, right?

I'm still suspicious that they would have some way of hobbling me if I went this route.

ImBuz

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
California
For many years I have been using the 2007 version without any online features. I enter all transactions and quotes manually, and I don't use bill pay. So, this means I could buy a 1 year subscription, and when that expires, continue doing as I am now, with no limitation on manual data entry, editing or reporting, right?

I'm still suspicious that they would have some way of hobbling me if I went this route.
I suspect you are correct--it is now all in the cloud--no subscription--no go

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Their site says you’re fine to use the software once the the subscription ends. You just won’t have access to online things. I looked up some issues a while back and there is a cost from the banks to support these features. I’d rather have a smaller subscription than for Quicken to “redesign” their software every year so I keep buying from them at a higher price.

davetroup

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Quicken for Mac started out pretty bad, unusable in my book, and I stuck with Quicken 2007 until Quicken 2017 came out. It was still rough but finally had enough features and was stable enough that it was worth switching.

While I don't love the subscription model, I will happily sign up for Quicken 2018 Premier: it includes Quicken Bill Pay at no additional cost, which I've been paying $9.95 per month for, for years. So it's a good deal and I'm happy to actually save money for a product that keeps getting better.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Both Staples and Office Depot have 2 year Quicken Premiere 2018 on sale at $20 off: $99.99. Staples is download only; Office Depot includes the disk.

Last edited:

gevalt

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
nyc
2-year subscriptions are only available through third-party retailers. Office Depot, Best Buy and Staples have good deals right now ($65 for two years of Deluxe).

office depot is listing a download version of deluxe for $65 but it doesn't specify that it's a MAC version.
the mac version on their site is for $80.

none of the others you mentioned have a $65 price.

you got a link?

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
office depot is listing a download version of deluxe for $65 but it doesn't specify that it's a MAC version.
the mac version on their site is for $80.

none of the others you mentioned have a $65 price.

you got a link?
When you subscribe, you can download either version (Windows or Mac) or even both.

gevalt

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
nyc

thanks.

i've been using quicken for so long (since 1993) i'm kinda reluctant to change.

heck, i only began running Q17 about 2 months ago. until then i was still using Q2007.
i still run them in parallel.

and while i HATE the subscription concept, at $32.50 (ok, $35 after sales tax) a year with that link, it'll be worth it if quicken continues to support and improve the mac version as they have since they split from intuit.

Reactions: Negator

Paul H

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2016
The only complaint I have is that you can’t open the data file from multiple computers like Moneydance. That being said I left Moneydance and moved to Quicken and have been mostly happy with the results. Upgraded to 2018 and have had no issues so far.

Negator

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2012
East Central Illinois
Remember folks, this is a new company and not Intuit. I don't like the subscription model either, but I found that I'm updating Quicken every year anyway (my choice and YMMV). I've found the new Mac product to be very good, albeit with some disparity with the Windows version. It was good enough for me to move from Parallels/Quicken for Windows to Quicken Mac a couple years ago and I've not looked back. I believe there is/was a trial and I'd recommend taking another look.

Rob

Been using Quicken for Windows since 1995 - would love to move to the Mac but haven't because of the bad reviews of the Mac Quicken product. If this version will import all my quicken data, then it might be time to try it.

lhammer610

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2003
Lexington, VA
After years of using Quicken 2007 (or so), I moved onto Quicken 2017 for the Mac and I love it. The best part is being able to download the reports from the banks and investment firms (which costs them money). What used to be torture - balancing my credit card account, now takes minutes.

But what I did not realize was that my purchase of this software would last for only a year. If I had known that, I never would have purchased Quicken 2017 in the first place. For me to pay, essentially, $4/mo for this feature, is too much. I try very hard to stay off the hook from these companies and buy once - hold for a long time. All the monthly payments add up (Internet, Netflix, cell phone, etc.). As someone who cut the cord to save cable subscription, I do not want to add one back, even this small.

I will be making a choice to pay the $4/mo, go back to the old way of balancing my checkbook, or look into some of the alternatives listed by others.

Perhaps I am overstating it by saying I feel betrayed, but I never would have signed on if it had been disclosed that the software would have to be updated annually.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
After years of using Quicken 2007 (or so), I moved onto Quicken 2017 for the Mac and I love it. The best part is being able to download the reports from the banks and investment firms (which costs them money). What used to be torture - balancing my credit card account, now takes minutes.

But what I did not realize was that my purchase of this software would last for only a year. If I had known that, I never would have purchased Quicken 2017 in the first place. For me to pay, essentially, $4/mo for this feature, is too much. I try very hard to stay off the hook from these companies and buy once - hold for a long time. All the monthly payments add up (Internet, Netflix, cell phone, etc.). As someone who cut the cord to save cable subscription, I do not want to add one back, even this small.

I will be making a choice to pay the $4/mo, go back to the old way of balancing my checkbook, or look into some of the alternatives listed by others.

Perhaps I am overstating it by saying I feel betrayed, but I never would have signed on if it had been disclosed that the software would have to be updated annually.
Quicken 2017 is supported through April 30, 2020.

lhammer610

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2003
Lexington, VA
Supported... So does that mean I will continue to be able to download reports from banks and investment institutions? If so, there is no reason for me to purchase this version for three years. That delays the inevitable decision.
Thanks.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Supported... So does that mean I will continue to be able to download reports from banks and investment institutions? If so, there is no reason for me to purchase this version for three years. That delays the inevitable decision.
Thanks.
Correct.

Reactions: lhammer610

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
While I don't love the subscription model, I will happily sign up for Quicken 2018 Premier: it includes Quicken Bill Pay at no additional cost, which I've been paying $9.95 per month for, for years. So it's a good deal and I'm happy to actually save money for a product that keeps getting better.

I haven't used Quicken in a while, and never used bill pay. But what does it offer beyond online banking provided by many banks (i.e., schedule bill payments on the Bank of America website)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.