Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2002
they're in software update, check them out. there's a bluetooth software too. i think it's new, but i'm not sure.

isync 1.1
quicktime 6.3
bluetooth 1.2.3

iSync lets you manage your contacts, calendars and To Do lists, and Safari bookmarks across multiple Mac OS X computers and devices (such as an iSync-compatible mobile phone, Palm OS device, or iPod), so you always have your most current information with you. To sync a Palm OS device you will need to install the new iSync 1.1 Palm Conduit after installing iSync 1.1.

New features in iSync 1.1 include synchronization of Safari bookmarks, support for a wider range of cell phones, and improved stability and reliability.

If you plan to use iSync with a supported Bluetooth phone, you should update your Bluetooth software to version 1.2.1 using Software Update.

QuickTime 6.3 delivers a number of important updates, including:
- Automatic detection of streaming transport
- Improvements to DV audio and video synchronization
- Enhanced support for Keynote, iMovie, and iDVD

Bluetooth 1.2.1 provides enhanced stability and support for the following Symbian OS based mobile phones: Nokia 3650, Nokia 7650, and Sony Ericsson P800. Bluetooth 1.2.1 is recommended for use with iSync 1.1.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Quicktime 6.3

Apple announced today the immediate availability of Quicktime 6.3:

Quicktime 6.3 brings 3GPP support which is aimed at high quality video/audio for mobile devices such as cellphones and PDAs.

QuickTime 6.3 enables users to share high-quality video, audio and text on a new generation of wireless devices including cell phones and PDAs. QuickTime 6.3 delivers extensive support for the 3GPP standard, including Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) and Adaptive Multi-Rate (AMR) audio, MPEG-4 and H.263 video, 3G Text (TX3G) and native .3gp file format support.

3GPP support was announced last year by Apple, with recent rumors of the final release.

Also announced today is iSync 1.1:

iSync 1.1 adds support for over 20 mobile phones from Nokia, Motorola, Sony Ericsson and Siemens, as well as Mac-to-Mac synchronization of Safari(TM) bookmarks for .Mac subscribers. iSync 1.1 supports more Bluetooth-enabled phones than any other syncing software and has added syncing via USB for several Motorola phones.

iSync details were leaked at ThinkSecret but then pulled at the request of Apple legal.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
iSync 1.1 also released

iSync lets you manage your contacts, calendars and To Do lists, and Safari bookmarks across multiple Mac OS X computers and devices (such as an iSync-compatible mobile phone, Palm OS device, or iPod), so you always have your most current information with you. To sync a Palm OS device you will need to install the new iSync 1.1 Palm Conduit after installing iSync 1.1.

New features in iSync 1.1 include synchronization of Safari bookmarks, support for a wider range of cell phones, and improved stability and reliability.

If you plan to use iSync with a supported Bluetooth phone, you should update your Bluetooth software to version 1.2.1 using Software Update.

cc bcc

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2001
nl
Software Update says:

QuickTime 6.3 delivers a number of important updates, including:
- Automatic detection of streaming transport
- Improvements to DV audio and video synchronization
- Enhanced support for Keynote, iMovie, and iDVD

Ah I see the word "improvements". That always triggers my update willingness. :D

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
Note to DVD Studio Pro and Final Cut Pro Users:
Final Cut Pro 4 and DVD Studio Pro version 1.5.1 and later are qualified for use with QuickTime 6.3.

*Will FCP4 play nice with earlier versions of QT?

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Stuff is released on Tuesdays because not everyone works on weekends so Monday is the first day back, but they use Monday to do last minuite touches, prepare presentations etc for Tuesday. Lots of companies release on Tuesday.

Downloaded and installed and I see no new speed improvements or problems. It just seems to be the same as before except with the mentioned additions. I installed it on my Powerbook G4 550, I will try my other Macs later.

Edit: One improvement noticed in iTunes, importing in the AAC codec is now a bit quicker (about 10%).

PretendPCuser

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2001
Northern, NJ
QT 6 Pro Upgrade Path?

If any one comes across info on upgrade path from QT 6 Pro ---> QT 6.3 Pro, please post it. Just bought QT6Pro about a month ago, and though i don't think i'll need to be authoring 3GPP content, would be fun to see what it's all about.

Thanks

KershMan

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2003
VA, USA
If you have QT 6.0, then you should be able to upgrade to 6.3 and maintain you Pro status. Generally the QT software is the same except you purchase a key to "unlock" the pro features.

I bought QT 5 and 6 pro and have been able to upgrade each point release by just downloading from software update.

MacArtist

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Re: QT 6 Pro Upgrade Path?

Originally posted by PretendPCuser
If any one comes across info on upgrade path from QT 6 Pro ---> QT 6.3 Pro, please post it. Just bought QT6Pro about a month ago, and though i don't think i'll need to be authoring 3GPP content, would be fun to see what it's all about.

Just run Software Update and you got QT6.3 Pro, there is no need for a new serial code.

MacMarino

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Downloaded and running!

Ok well got it up and running and so far it seems to be just like before. Nothing really big and noticable yet. I'll have a play around with it more and see what happens. I mainly watch mpg movies with it so ill see if there is an improvement with that side of it and see how it runs with iMovie and FCExpress.

Macmarino

cc bcc

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2001
nl
Re: QT 6 Pro Upgrade Path?

Originally posted by PretendPCuser

Thanks

I have QT 6 pro and it still works after updating to QT6.3, why wouldn't it?
Anyway, QT6.3 seems just fine, no problems here.

rugby

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
chicago
I also got a Quicktime Mpeg-2 update for QT 6.3. It's on my home computer and I'm updating via ssh so I don't know what the difference is yet.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Re: iSync 1.1 also released

Originally posted by seamuskrat

Glad to see they've increased markedly the number of phones supported by iSync. It looks like now one can get an isync compatible phone pretty easily (if buying new).:D

KershMan

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2003
VA, USA
And iSynch will support CDMA-based phones = Sprint PCS Vision. The Sony Ericsson T608 will support CDMA and be a phone available for Sprint PCS Vision on the 3G wireless networks. Looks like Motorola will have a couple of CDMA phones as well (v60i and T720).

Potus

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2002
Given my ongoing problems w/iSync/iCal/and my Prism, I'm waiting to see how this upgrade pans out before being "the first on my block" to download it...

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
Re: Palm overwriting iCal/Address Book?

Originally posted by CountZero
Palm overwriting iCal/Address Book?

Can anyone confirm that this is now possbile with iSync 1.1?

Why would you do that? Either use iCal and AddressBook with iSync, or use PalmDesktop and iSync. Besides, sounds like a feature Palm would have to implement not Apple.

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes ... I have been waiting for 3GPP support for ages. Nice one.

MMM nice splash page at apple.com.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.