QuickTime Player X even worse than I thought

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nudlebaer, Aug 28, 2009.

1. nudlebaer macrumors newbie

Good to know that we can have QuickTime Player 7 for now!

You cannot select a portion of a movie and copy and paste any more? Start all open movies simultaneous?

Have a look at a movie without the controller and the window border overlaying the frame? Have a look frame by frame without something in the way?

No more export to 3G, Apple TV, AVI, BMP, DV Stream, FLC, Hinted Movie, Image Sequence, MPEG-4, Picture, QuickTime Media Link, QuickTime Movie, Save as AVI, Windows Media, AIFF, AU, Wave?

No more Export Movie Settings: Filter and Size, incl. Deinterlace?
    No more Video Compression Settings, where is have installed 90 Codecs right now, including Animation, JPEG 2000, PNG, TIF, multiple ProRes, Avids, IMXs and so on. No more fine tuned framerate, keyframe, quality, datarates settings? Audio Codecs with multiple settings anyone?

No more command J for Movie Properties to extract and delete Tracks? To modify Visual Settings, like Quality, Size and Masking? Audio Settings and Presentation Settings, as how a movie behaves when opened. And find out the Resources for a movie?

Where is command K for A/V Controls, adjust playback speed, color and audio balance, just to name a few.

No more save as reference movie?

And what's left of all this?

- Trim.

- Share for iTunes, MobileMe Gallery (who needs that) and YouTube.

- Save for Web with three fixed, predefined settings.

And no Preferences. No playing with entering fullscreen.

Should I lough or should I cry?

If they put all this in the next version and fix that? I'm not really positive.

Frank

2. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

It's like iMovie 08. They'll work on restoring everything over time, but at first they're offering the old one until it's restored to it's former glory. You can't start again without going back a little bit.

Years upon years of building up Quicktime vs. the year and a bit they had to rebuild it from the ground up for Quicktime X...

Give it time. No-one seems to be complaining about iMovie 09, at least as far as I'm aware.

3. nick9191 macrumors 68040

As above.

They leave the old Quicktime available until they can feature complete Quicktime X. It's better this way.

4. nudlebaer thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, but do you think they will return and give us the old interface? In my professional work and at the film school, where I teach, we cannot discuss the work without the controller in the way? Have you tried to look at a movie frame by frame with QuickTime X? I have. It's not possible.

5. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I actually think that this approach is the better way to do it than jamming all the existing feature into Quicktime X. If they were to do that the new app would be so amazingly bloated. This way you have the new app that they will build onto, and the old app that does everything it used to.

However, on a more personal note, I can't remember the last time I wanted to edit something in Quicktime, that's what I have Final Cut for.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I sometimes wonder why Apple even bothers updating things... it never seems to produce any happy customers.

7. nudlebaer thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm always there for a clean cut, but here is nothing left.

And yes, I edit in Final Cut, too. But for a quick export here and there. Or combine two or three parts as one and save as a new reference movie.

To test out multiple compression settings it's much more a hassle to use Final Cut for that.

8. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I have you tried compressor for that? It takes some time, but you can crank out a whole bunch of versions to choose the best.

9. nudlebaer thread starter macrumors newbie

10. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Yeah, this isn't really an Apple-specific thing...

11. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I kinda like Quicktime X as a basic video player, but the fact there isn't even an option to auto-play when I double click a movie kinda irks me.

Why have Apple been so hell bent on stripping Quicktime down to the absolute bare bones?

12. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Quicktime X is extremely disappointing, codec support seems just as bad as ever, the floating controls get in the way, and the most annoying thing is not having the option to play the movie when you open it. Who the hell wants to open a movie and not have it play? Having to open a file and then go find the play button is ridiculous, they even took out the double click anywhere on the movie to play making it even more annoying.

Apple: When I open a music file I want to listen to it. When I open a jpeg I want to look at it. When I open a text file I want to read it. And when I open a movie file I want to watch it.

13. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Does the spacebar still work?

14. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I think the key word here is "Player". It's QuickTime Player X. Not full featured QuickTime. No one said it was a replacement for QuickTime Pro.

15. loft3 macrumors regular

I 100% agree.

16. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I noticed this within the first minute of using Quicktime X. I really hope they fix this. I did a screen recording to test it out, and when I went to play it back, I couldn't see my menu bar when the title bar was visible.

I think that they should make the title bar go above the picture rather than overlaying it over the picture. I understand the controls overlaying, but the title bar shouldn't.

17. wallstreetcrash macrumors regular

Use the spacebar?

18. kolax macrumors G3

Yeah me too. I've never used QuickTime for editing. Trimming is useful I guess though.

But as others have said - makes sense, QuickTime X is a work in progress - it does what most people need it to do: play videos (and of course the huge improvements to OS X since QuickTime is a layer in OS X).

I'll keep QuickTime 7 Pro just for the export presets.

19. MyMac8MyPC macrumors member

Yes I have, and it works quite nicely, thank you very much.

That is NOT true! Please don't complain about products that you don't know how to use. It is not Apples fault when someone is too lazy to open up the help files (Help > QuickTime Player Help > Controlling movie playback) or simply go to www.apple.com/quicktime.

To step through frame-by-frame, simply press the Right Arrow or Left Arrow keys on your keyboard. Couldn't be simplier :apple:

Other ways to control movie playback:

• To show the playback controls, move the pointer anywhere over the movie.
    • To go to a specific point in the movie, drag the playhead (the small circle) in the timeline.
    • To pause a movie using the keyboard, press the Space bar.
    • If a movie has chapters, jump to a chapter by clicking the chapter button, and then select a destination.

20. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I know. No matter what Apple does these days, people will always complain. I am happy with my upgrade to Snow Leopard. I like the new QuickTime X. As for the Export features it had, thats why I have iMovie '09.

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

fyi, quicktime x does not work with leopard

worth a shot

22. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Next time quote the guy in the full context..

You can NOT go frame by frame with the controller hidden.

23. pitt1717 macrumors regular

my gripe is the codecs as stated earlier. since moving to mac in 07 qt is my 1 disappointment. i have been ripping my movies to mpeg2 with ac3 audio. QT is the only one not to play it. i have to use vlc, no biggie, but would love to keep everything apple on here and also be able to watch movies using front row.

was really hoping qtx would come through. and now even qt7 doesnt play them. before it would at least show video, now...nada

24. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

25. pitt1717 macrumors regular

reason i do it this way is to preserve the quality, not worried about space. plus i stream from my windows mce box to my xbox 360. looks just like the dvd when played. would just like to stream to my MBP. vlc works but like i said, 1 more program to install when qt should handle it