Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Peace said:
I need to inform you that what you keep writing about is illegal.Period.It's called fraud.

Either keep it to yourself or one of the mods is gonna eventually ban you.

Really? Is it a felony?

Strange, I don't care about "crimes" like this, especially going by your thinking Apple can dictate what I can and can't do. It is not like Apple is selling at a loss to us students either.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
celebrian23 said:
Me neither. I don't see how an isight could possibly benefit a classroom. At the school I recently graduated from, image searches were blocked. I highly doubt they'd be thrilled to see an isight on it.
Here's the Apple thinking on that. They even offer lesson plans :)

codo

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2006
England, United Kingdom
generik said:
Really? Is it a felony?

Strange, I don't care about "crimes" like this, especially going by your thinking Apple can dictate what I can and can't do. It is not like Apple is selling at a loss to us students either.

Do you have no morals? Since when was fraud an acceptable thing? I don't know about your state, but its certainly illegal here. It makes life a bit easier for students, if it was widely abused I have no doubt that Apple would remove it or push up the price points - They are after all, a business, not a charity.

dejo said:
How 'bout maybe chatting with a class from another school, perhaps even internationally?

Maybe have one iSight enabled machine for the teacher. Makes sense, although I guess it depends how much you would actually save by not having it there - If it’s little ($20? Maybe less) then it probably wouldn’t sway them that much. Every Dollar/Pound/Euro/Yen/Etc counts however.

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
iMeowbot said:
Here's the Apple thinking on that. They even offer lesson plans :)

That's nice, but I don't see the average school doing this. It's kind of unrealistic. I think the isight's cons are a lot more prevelant than its pros for a classroom setting.

ichat would never last at my school- no messenger programs are ever allowed

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2006
New Jersey
Agent69 said:
Yes, it is. I have just enought for the educational iMac, so unless you want to give me the difference, stop rolling your eyes.

Then why don't you, and all the rest of the people plotting to rip off Apple and abuse the very helpful educational store, save up some more cash and buy it legally. Or if thats too hard to do - save some $$

My god if you can only afford the $899 then buy a Mac mini and using your logic go rob the local computer store for a screen, keyboard, and mouse. Guess where you live you'd only have to pay for them if the cops get you. :mad:

Agent69

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2005
Middleburg, Florida
081440 said:
Then why don't you, and all the rest of the people plotting to rip off Apple and abuse the very helpful educational store, save up some more cash and buy it legally. Or if thats too hard to do - save some $$

My god if you can only afford the $899 then buy a Mac mini and using your logic go rob the local computer store for a screen, keyboard, and mouse. Guess where you live you'd only have to pay for them if the cops get you. :mad:

In my case, it no longer matters, as I have found someone who is a teacher to buy it for me. Hopefully, Apple will offer this to everyone, like they did with the eMac.

bigmc6000

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2006
Good Lord!

081440 said:

Dang people - simmer. Let's make 1 thing perfectly clear - you aren't ripping Apple off if you buy an $899 iMac. To rip someone off they'd actually have to take a loss and seeing as how Agent69 seems to be saying "Edu iMac or nothing" it's actually adventageous to Apple if he does buy it. If he's willing to risk the consequences of a couple hundred dollards down the line then go for it - you guys act like you've never pushed something a little more than intended. Let me ask this - how many people speed? And your argument when you get caught speeding? Nothing - you took the risk to speed and you got caught. If Agent69 takes the risk and buys the Edu iMac than he's accepting the risk.

It's all about if you're willing to accept the risk now everybody stop getting their panties in a bunch :p

javierbds

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2005
Madrid, Spain
WillMak said:
I think this is a geat deal but something does worry me...If this is suppose to be for education, I just hope the schools that buy them remember to buy extra ram for Microsoft Office.

You sure mean OpenOffice (NeoOffice) ... You save on Hw to give the money to MS? :(

boncellis

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
Salt Lake City
I think the iSight is so inexpensive for Apple to include that they just threw it in to entice students who might buy the machine--not really university IT departments or school districts. What's the harm in including it if the school can just disable it?

bigmc6000

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2006
celebrian23 said:
That's nice, but I don't see the average school doing this. It's kind of unrealistic. I think the isight's cons are a lot more prevelant than its pros for a classroom setting.

ichat would never last at my school- no messenger programs are ever allowed

They might use them in computer labs where test taking is and having the administrator have kind of a "watch everyone" type of thing and have some software that will store everyone on the HD. Talk about stopping people from cheating. We've got a camera right in front of your face and we save the whole thing!! haha:D

javierbds

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2005
Madrid, Spain
When is Apple going to update iMac's speed

The other iMacs should have a slightly faster Processor?!
Or does the iMac have heating problems ?
Why are the laptops still faster than the iMac? :mad:

Anybody knows if the Edu iMac has the processor soldered? (Merom ... :rolleyes: )

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Apple's press release mentions iDVD without noting that the education iMac can't burn DVDs. They mention iDVD because it's part of iLife '06, so anybody paying half attention will no that iDVD won't be very useful.

Since our school's education store doesn't yet have this model, I can't tell for sure yet if you can order it with a Superdrive. The press release implies that you can't by mentioning only other upgrade options (RAM, disk, iWork).

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Doctor Q said:
Since our school's education store doesn't yet have this model, I can't tell for sure yet if you can order it with a Superdrive. The press release implies that you can't by mentioning only other upgrade options (RAM, disk, iWork).
There's no Super Drive option.

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
bigmc6000 said:
Let's make 1 thing perfectly clear - you aren't ripping Apple off if you buy an $899 iMac. To rip someone off they'd actually have to take a loss and seeing as how Agent69 seems to be saying "Edu iMac or nothing" it's actually adventageous to Apple if he does buy it.

Faulty logic.

Apple is selling these system at educational pricing which has much narrower margins then the consumer pricing. The intent is to benefit students and institutions by giving them a lower price (and of course attempt to push their products in this market segment)... in other words Apple is gifting a part of their profits to this specific market (as defined by Apple in their purchase agreement, which you have to agree with before you can purchase). If someone from outside this specific market purchases such a system you are benefitting from this gift when you should not be (you are or someone on your behalf is fraudulently stating you are a member of this market segment). In other words you are pocketing a gift meant for others.

Yes people speed and yes people commit minor fraud like the above but doing so is illegal and amoral to some degree (depending on your moral standards and relativism).

Apple's purchase agreement...
Who is Eligible To Purchase
The following education individuals are eligible to purchase through the Apple Store for Education individuals:

Faculty or staff member of a public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States
Student currently attending or accepted into a public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States
Purchase Quantity
Faculty, Staff and Students purchasing from the Apple Store for Education Individuals will be allowed to purchase the following quantities of product per academic school year:

Desktop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
Mac mini: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
Laptop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
Display: A maximum of two (2) may be purchased per academic year
Software: A maximum of two (2) per software title may be purchased per academic year
iPod: One (1) per iPod family (iPod, iPod nano, iPod Shuffle 1GB) may be purchased per academic year (Note: there is no quantity limitation on iPod Shuffle 512MB)
iSight: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
**The above purchases can be made either online or through your Apple Authorized Campus Store. Total product quantities remain the same regardless of where your purchase is made.

Statement of Eligibility
I represent that I am a member of one of the defined groups above eligible to purchase and that the products being purchased direct from Apple Computer, Inc. are for my own personal, education, and/or research use.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Doctor Q said:
anybody paying half attention will no that iDVD won't be very useful.
:confused: Sure it can. I was using iDVD on my Combo drive iBook very happily before I got my superdrive iMac...

Burn projects to video_ts folders or ISO images. Transfer them to a Mac or PC with a DVD burner and you're on your way. Or, now that iLife supports third party burners, just use an external Firewire USB burner that can be connected to the iMac at will...

B

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Doctor Q said:
Apple's press release mentions iDVD without noting that the education iMac can't burn DVDs. They mention iDVD because it's part of iLife '06, so anybody paying half attention will no that iDVD won't be very useful.

Like our website, offering DVD Studio Pro with the combo drive MacBook.
http://www.johnlewis.com/Computing/Computers/+Computers+/Laptops/230397328/Product.aspx
I think actually judging by the price it should be Final Cut Studio, (why anyway with the combo MacBook). I still rang them up earlier and pointed out the problem, but obviously not changed just yet.

boncellis

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
Salt Lake City
shawnce said:
...Yes people speed and yes people commit minor fraud like the above but doing so is illegal and amoral to some degree (depending on your moral standards and relativism).

I think you mean immoral as opposed to amoral. An immoral act is one that goes against the morality of an individual or society, whereas something or someone that is amoral is without moral persuasion altogether.

Btw shawnce, I think you're awesome.

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
I quite frankly don't understand how anyone could think there's nothing wrong with stealing. I don't care if you're stealing from someone who only has a dollar or someone who has 90 billion big ones- it's still wrong.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I might get an educational iMac for myself and then "sell" it to my brother when I get a MacBook Pro. That or if I want to buy another iMac, I'll get it through the department.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
shawnce said:
Faulty logic.

Apple is selling these system at educational pricing which has much narrower margins then the consumer pricing. The intent is to benefit students and institutions by giving them a lower price (and of course attempt to push their products in this market segment)... in other words Apple is gifting a part of their profits to this specific market (as defined by Apple in their purchase agreement, which you have to agree with before you can purchase). If someone from outside this specific market purchases such a system you are benefitting from this gift when you should not be (you are or someone on your behalf is fraudulently stating you are a member of this market segment). In other words you are pocketing a gift meant for others.

Yes people speed and yes people commit minor fraud like the above but doing so is illegal and amoral to some degree (depending on your moral standards and relativism).

Apple's purchase agreement...

Sorry, Shaunce, but the excerpts you've just showed prove exactly the opposite...in order for you to enjoy the benefits, you MUST be a member of the EDU community...and when you use that privilege, you forfeit yourself the possibility of buying other products on a certain timeframe.

Therefore, there is no fraud AT ALL if someone you know wishes to "spend" his/her EDU quota for the benefit of another person. Apple is certainly aware of that in its business plan, and has established such a limit to avoid abusive practices.

You HAVE to show yourself (signing a term or giving a copy of your ID) when buying something for EDU purposes, and you are NOT able to buy more than one product a year (as per your post above), so the main condition is perfectly fulfilled...you ARE an EDU-eligible person purchasing an Apple product...period. It would have been illegal only if Apple had decided for a sort of "reversed first sale doctrine", forbidding people from selling or giving out the products they purchase in the first place...which would have been legally absurd anyway.

pilky

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2005
Why are the laptops still faster than the iMac?

The only laptops which are faster than the iMac are the MBPs which are meant to be faster as they are for professionals. I expect to see the iMac jump up a sometime before the end of the summer

As to those questioning the iSight, have you considered that it might be cheaper to include the iSight than to manufacture cases without them?

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
BRLawyer said:
Sorry, Shaunce, but the excerpts you've just showed prove exactly the opposite...in order for you to enjoy the benefits, you MUST be a member of the EDU community...and when you use that privilege, you forfeit yourself the possibility of buying other products on a certain timeframe.

Therefore, there is no fraud AT ALL if someone you know wishes to "spend" his/her EDU quota for the benefit of another person. Apple is certainly aware of that in its business plan, and has established such a limit to avoid abusive practices.

You miss the following...?

"Statement of Eligibility - I represent that I am a member of one of the defined groups above eligible to purchase and that the products being purchased direct from Apple Computer, Inc. are for my own personal, education, and/or research use."

If you are purchasing it for someone else it isn't for your own personal use is it now... which was my point. The purchase limits exist to reduce the purchase then later sell type behavior but if you purchase the system on behalf of someone not eligible you are committing fraud (you purchased it never having the intent of using it yourself).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.