Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
One more thing...

I linked you to the Departmental Education store (departments, labs, etc.) and NOT the Individual one (students, faculty, staff).

Agent69

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2005
Middleburg, Florida
kingtj said:
Actually, while this might be generally true, I wouldn't push my luck. Apple has some legal notes in the fine print when you place an edu. store order which, among other things, state that your claim of educational status is subject to future verification after the initial purchase. And further, if they do one of these "audits" and find you falsely claimed eduational status to obtain a discount, you're subject to being billed the difference in price between what you paid and the retail price for the item(s).

Your right. Now, what is the retail price for this particular iMac.

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa
emotion said:
Finally a frame of reference for UKers. Not on the Edu store in the UK yet but comparing this to the old lowest spec iMac which is £773 to contact educational purchasers.

£134 buys:

Superdrive
Dedicated graphics
Remote
Bluetooth
160GB vs 80GB HD

For personal purchases most people would rather pay the extra I think but if you're equipping a lab or the budget is tight it's nice this new model exists.

Most mac users, yes. People, no. A lot of people don't need the superdrive, remote, dedicated graphics, bluetooth, or larger hard drive. The one thing they might need, but is not included for some reason is iWork.

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
the isight concerns me for classroom use. Trust me, you don't want 14-18 year old boys playing with a webcam. :rolleyes: I can imagine a school that can afford mac computers can afford video cameras and the such. If I wanted a desktop instead of a laptop, I would get this in a second. I'm thinking maybe the mac minis might have some surprises for us in august now :eek:

boncellis

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
Salt Lake City
celebrian23 said:
...I'm thinking maybe the mac minis might have some surprises for us in august now :eek:

Hmm...you may be onto something. Perhaps the Mini will see a price drop and/or a third model? Or will it just be revamped when Merom comes out? Decisions, decisions...

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Agent69 said:
That's my point. Usually, you just pay back what you illegally saved, but since this model isn't normally available, how would they decide what to charge you?

Ah so you're asking what the price would be if one illegally purchased it through the EDU store and was then later charged for the difference ?

First off.One shouldn't "illegally" purchase anything from Apple.
Secondly if one did do that i'm guessing the price difference would be up to Apple.In otherwords there is no "retail price".:)

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
Stella said:
This machine is a good general schooling machine - capable at word processing, spread sheet, programming etc.

There is no need for a high end graphics card, BT etc and the costs are kept down.

This obviously isn't a machine for a media course - animation etc.

Thank God some one on here understands! I am an education buyer and YES I will buy this mac. I upgrade the RAM anyway to 1GB or at least 712. The remote is a pain in the ass - just something to get lost or abused by students. Bluetooth - what in a school? No thank you. I don't want this keeds syncing their cell phones with the computer in the first place, after all, it isn't "their" computer. I also don't want wireless headphones/microphones. Batteries become a problem so I would prefer to use a wired version when and if I needed it. Ingetrated graphics work fine as Stella pointed out. Plus, what I think many non-institutional edu buyers don't understand is the plus side of 10/100/1000 ethernet. Sure, Safari might run faster with more ram but then you connect it via gigabit to a T3 and you don't notice much difference to a 1.5GB Ram machine on DSL or Cable.

Sure, I can't burn a DVD on these but if I need that kind of power than I don't buy an iMac anyway. If I am doing graphics in the edu market I use a powermac or its replacement.

Understand, I think this is geared more towards insitutional buyers than even students. But, even at the student level I have seen many students go for the sub $600/$500 PCs that have, guess what, integrated graphics. The educated student who wants more won't buy those same PCs and won't buy this Mac. To any student, I would recommend the next step up as it will do more longer but for those on a tight budget this will work fine for k-college.

Agent69

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2005
Middleburg, Florida
Peace said:
Ah so you're asking what the price would be if one illegally purchased it through the EDU store and was then later charged for the difference ?

First off.One shouldn't "illegally" purchase anything from Apple.
Secondly if one did do that i'm guessing the price difference would be up to Apple.In otherwords there is no "retail price".:)

See, that would be my thing. I don't mind paying the difference if caught, but I would like to know what the penality is beforehand.

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
celebrian23 said:
the isight concerns me for classroom use. Trust me, you don't want 14-18 year old boys playing with a webcam. :rolleyes: I can imagine a school that can afford mac computers can afford video cameras and the such. If I wanted a desktop instead of a laptop, I would get this in a second. I'm thinking maybe the mac minis might have some surprises for us in august now :eek:

I think there is a way to turn off the iSight. I am researching this myself since I have some recent PPC and Intel iMacs I am looking at this for. Apple also released a new version of Remote Desktop (ARD) and I am hoping this might allow for some remote viewing as well. However, even given potential problems with the iSight I also see potential benefits. Imagine video conferencing with other students in the same building or a different school or even business far away! The potential is awesome!

iShane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2006
New York -> SF
I really don't think its a good idea to have LCD screens around kids. I know when my friends come to my house and we use my computer they poke the screen because they're used to their glass CRT moniters. But anyways I can't wait to see these start showing up in my school.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
081440 said:
uh..... There are only two RAM slots in the iMac so how could they possibly fit four sticks in? :eek:

As said before paired memory is used on all Macs with integrated graphics, it's because it lets the same amount of RAM move faster and therefore the shared memory is less of a drag.

I was saying that obviously Apple has to use these sticks before they become totally useless. The reason that all "integrated graphics" machines use 2 x 256 is that it's cheaper and it uses up inventory.

As for the matched pairs myth, it's barely faster in benchmarks, and marginally faster in real-world usage (from barefeats.com):

"DO MATCHING MEMORY PAIRS MAKE IT GO FASTER?
We tested the MacBook Pro with both matching pairs of 1GB SDRAM and non-matching pairs (one 1GB and one 256MB module). None of the GPU test results were affected but the matching pairs did provide a small gain in CPU intensive tests (2.5% in iMovie, 3.5% in Photoshop CS)."

Anyway, I think this point has been debated to death, so this is all I have to say about it.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Chrysaor said:
Sorry if this was asked before..
Is this new model eligible for free iPod also?

Yes it is...

1. Buy a Mac.
Buy a new MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac, or Power Mac G5.

2. Buy an iPod nano.
Purchase your iPod with a Mac.

3. Submit your rebate.
Your iPod nano is free after mail-in rebate.* Or choose another iPod and enjoy big savings after mail-in rebate.* After you receive your products, start your rebate online for fastest processing. Or download and mail the rebate form.

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2006
New Jersey
DTphonehome said:
Anyway, I think this point has been debated to death, so this is all I have to say about it.

I Agree! :D (But I'm still not saying your correct)

skipskop24 said:
I really don't think its a good idea to have LCD screens around kids. I know when my friends come to my house and we use my computer they poke the screen because they're used to their glass CRT moniters. But anyways I can't wait to see these start showing up in my school.

WHY DO PC PEOPLE POKE THE SCREEN?!?!?!?!?!??!?!? It's so annoying, I had one friend come over and was pointing out something on my bran new 23" Cinema Display and he poked so hard it turned the spot pink for a couple minutes, I was ready to kill him!! (He has since converted to the Mac :D (redeeming himself, somewhat)) Luckily it left no lasting damage, but all my PC friends seem to poke their screens, even those with LCDs and the Mac people seem not to..... I can't figure it out.....:confused:

Agent69

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2005
Middleburg, Florida
macnews said:
I think there is a way to turn off the iSight. I am researching this myself since I have some recent PPC and Intel iMacs I am looking at this for. Apple also released a new version of Remote Desktop (ARD) and I am hoping this might allow for some remote viewing as well. However, even given potential problems with the iSight I also see potential benefits. Imagine video conferencing with other students in the same building or a different school or even business far away! The potential is awesome!

I have heard that there is a kernel extension that allows the iSight to work and that all you have to do is remove it. I will look around and see if I can find where I read that.

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
Agent69 said:
I have heard that there is a kernel extension that allows the iSight to work and that all you have to do is remove it. I will look around and see if I can find where I read that.

I was going to look in system prefs when you create multiple users. I also may have some option since I also use LDAP users - although not sure on that one since my server is a Panther server and thus doesn't have all the Tiger system prefs.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
DTphonehome said:
I was saying that obviously Apple has to use these sticks before they become totally useless. The reason that all "integrated graphics" machines use 2 x 256 is that it's cheaper and it uses up inventory.

As for the matched pairs myth, it's barely faster in benchmarks, and marginally faster in real-world usage (from barefeats.com):

"DO MATCHING MEMORY PAIRS MAKE IT GO FASTER?
We tested the MacBook Pro with both matching pairs of 1GB SDRAM and non-matching pairs (one 1GB and one 256MB module). None of the GPU test results were affected but the matching pairs did provide a small gain in CPU intensive tests (2.5% in iMovie, 3.5% in Photoshop CS)."

That's for a MacBook Pro, which has a dedicated graphics card. It makes a difference for integrated graphics.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
This was predicted by many on here weeks back when rumor of a late fall new emac surfaced (this had to come in July). Only surprise to me is including isight. Possibility a marketing plan. On bulk edu orders, apple can remove camera and add "iplug/epatch" for $ discount (much better approach than using plugged isight as standard offering). Allows Apple to use up imac casings and continue to use moulds. Presages intro of new form factor (my guess is beefing up/expanding mini line, but pair 2 piece imac mini w/ a dock/screen--the home entertainment imac).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.