Quit my job

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Nov 9, 2013.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

And I feel free. This job, which some of you may remember when I posted a while back, involved 100hr weeks in remote locations 5hrs away from my apartment while working 15hr shifts in the dead of night.

After 3 months...I quit. I dreaded every moment of it. My social life was gone, my health was going down the tubes (by eating gas station food as those were the only places you could find food at 3am in the middle of nowhere), and was not conducive for starting a family/dating/etc

The straw that broke my back was them wanting the new engineers to change from a 6days on, 3 off schedule to a 2 weeks on, 1 week off schedule as well as making the new engineers "hands" for the next 3 months due to staffing issues. Nope, not for me

/end rant, relief post

2. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Sounds like a pretty good reason to quit. Anything up in the job market now? What kind of engineering do you do?
    Hope everything works out for you. Enjoy the extra freedom!

3. dukebound85, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013

dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

Oh yea, forgot to mention that in my very scarce days off, been interviewing and have one offer in hand and another I hope on the way. The offer I have is in the town I grew up in (been trying to find one), has a higher salary, better benefits, and is only 40hrs a week....and normal hours!

I am thankful I had this offer in hand when I quit. Makes life a bit easier

I did my BS in mechanical engineering and my MS in atmos science

4. joec1101 macrumors 6502

OP, where are you located that you were able to find another job so quickly? :confused:

I've been out of work going into the tenth month now. It's amazing how unprofessional a lot of these companies are anymore. I'm lucky if I get one response out of twenty or thirty apps/resumes. I keep seeing "the job market is better" in the news, but it sure doesn't appear to be the case here in California.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Lucky you, I'm doing 60Hr/week shifts. Not as taxing as 100Hr/Week, but still....

6. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Got to do what makes you happy. If you are happy with your job, then it is a lot less taxing on your system. Can't even imagine what a 100 hour work week would be like. I work 60-70 hours a week and struggle with that at times. Getting older though. Good luck with future work!

7. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Up to this point I would have guessed you were a truck driver. :D

8. offthehook macrumors member

way to go! we are not work-mules!

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Congrats, working those grueling hours is not good, there is a life outside of the cubicle. My employer realizes this and works to balance work and family.

Hopefully your new job will be just as balanced.

10. Happybunny macrumors 68000

[​IMG]

Welcome back to the world, where there is more to life, than just work.:cool:

11. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

Haha nope, it was oilfield work!

This feeling is even better this morning. Wow

----------

I'm out in Colorado. Though tbh, I think I just got extremely fortunate with the timing as I have sent out so many applications during my "off time"

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

13. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

14. snberk103 macrumors 603

With an attitude like this (despite exhaustion, working to make the situation better instead of just turning bitter) I'm not surprised you're getting offers. Congratulations... and it sounds like you earned your new job offer.

I only know you through MR... but I'm still happy that things worked out for you.

15. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

Thanks

Even though I have never met any of you on this site, I regard many of you as good friends and great minds to talk with

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Best of luck as you head off into the future......and the rest of your life in a different, more satisfying and rewarding job.

17. snberk103 macrumors 603

And - if the new job works out, you'll lots more time to spend with us :)

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Congrats!

Bonus points if you quit it like this (nsfw language):

19. samiwas macrumors 65816

Very glad to hear this. I keep hearing more and more stories of companies dumping loads of extra work on their employees and asking/requiring them to do things that just aren't considered human. Two weeks of 15-hour days? repeatedly? Probably with no overtime or anything. Bullstuff. There are very few things in life worth putting yourself through that, and the only people who support it are those who feel that you aren't succeeding unless you are killing yourself. I call it the CrossFit attitude.

Hope your new life brings much more happiness. Should be interesting to hear from you a couple of months into the new gig and to see what it feels like to be human again.

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Holy crap. Some employers will abuse their employees if they can find people willing to work under such conditions. Glad you bailed and found an alternative! :)

21. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

Good on you for leaving in time, and congratulations on your new job!!

I was in a similar situation once, and I figured out that whatever they would pay me, it wouldn't be worth it. You can buy a nice bed, but you can't buy the effect of a good night's sleep. You can buy medical treatment but you can't buy health.

22. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

*high five*

Congratulations man, glad to see someone make a proactive change. That job sounded rough.