Radio Shack iPhone 5 pre order

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rossihvac, Sep 15, 2012.

1. rossihvac macrumors regular

rossihvac

After getting screwed out of my Apple pre order i figure i would wait it out till october when things quieted down. I was in the shack this morning and they are taking preorders for 9/21. I threw down fifty bucks and they said they will call me to schedule a time for pick up! They are taking pre orders for all carriers too so if you missed out friday morning go check out the shack.

2. thecurryman macrumors 6502

did the exact same thing, i went to radioshack and pre ordered it! really hope it actually comes on the 21st!

3. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

RadioShack delivered as promised last year with the 4s. Pre-ordered with Best Buy this year because of the $50.00 gift card promo. Hoping they will have enough stock for pre-orders.

4. rsnc macrumors regular

preordered today at radioshack...paid the 50 for a gift card...really hope they come on the 21st, clerk didnt know anything though.

I already have a preorder in apples system that for some reason slipped to oct 5th overnight..so hopefully radioshack can get me one on launch day...really dont want to wait in the lines at the apple store

5. karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

I ordered mine this morning at 11am for Friday,Sat or Sunday pickup.You only have 3 days to do so.This year,you buy a $50 gift card to place your order.This is the last day to preorder.My store had 12 available total and still had not met that quota this morning.3 other stores in my area also had 5s available.

6. rsnc macrumors regular

i preordered..wanted a 32gb white..but they said they were only getting those in black..i got the 16gb white ordered instead.

i know that i am going to want to get a 32gb phone eventually though..
    would they let me exchange for a 32 before 14 days is up..or would i have to return the phone and buy a 32 though apple?

7. indianboynyc macrumors regular

nice u got a 5s available? id def get on that :rolleyes:

8. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

Ditto for me as well. The plus side is that we're not locked into buying the device right now, so if you're out and about on Friday and find a store with it available, grab it. Worst case is that we have a $50 gift card to Radio Shack in the future.

That said, the girl was asking me about AppleCare+, which has to be purchased at the same time. I considered this when I left the store since the iPhone 5 appears to be similarly designed in a way to the rMBP's with the sensors in the glass to make it thinner, and I expect that it will be far more costly than buying just the glass plate for the 4/4s. But, being that AppleCare+ is $99, and you have to pay $49 per incident to have it replaced, I'll take the gamble and not buy it. On the off chance it does break, Apple replaces broken devices for $199 (though you get a refurb) vs $150 for AppleCare+ and the incident fee.

9. karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

Funny-even you could figure that I meant plural 5.Or not

10. jlaw macrumors member

Has anyone on Verizon done a pre-order from Radioshack? The store told me they had plenty of pre-order spots available and so I ordered a black 32gb today at full retail price and paid the $50 for the gift card. However, the VZW customer agreement that printed out after the process was completed says "Approximate Shipment Date: 10/05/12". Now I'm worried - if I have to wait that long I'd rather just order directly from Apple or VZW for home delivery. Anyone have a similar (or dissimilar) experience with a VZW pre-order?

11. Cozmo85 macrumors regular

12. jlaw macrumors member

Are you looking at the Radioshack receipt? Or the VZW customer agreement that prints out on regular paper?

13. Cozmo85 macrumors regular

I see it now. I'm not concerned. I was told I. The store it would be the 26-28

14. jlaw macrumors member

Yeah, me too... what date is on your customer agreement form?

15. Cozmo85 macrumors regular

16. illstrumental macrumors regular

illstrumental

Just got in from pre-ordering at Radio Shack. Today was the last day. Paid $50 and they said they'd call. Cancelled my Apple order immediately after. I sure hope I did the right thing.

17. brainguy macrumors newbie

I'm keeping my Apple order for now... I also have an order w/ Radio Shack (hope TheShack comes through)!!

My plan is to cancel Apple order on 9/21 or over this weekend (once I hear from TheShack, that the phone is available, I plan to cancel)...

Hopefully, Apple doesn't ship my phone until this weekend (guess I must be the only one who wants Apple to not ship the phones until next week)!!

18. Codepiink macrumors regular

I just came from a Radio Shack and the shady a$$ "manager" there said same thing, "by 10/05/12". I said "uh, am I going to get my phone this Friday or not?" And he could not even give me a straight answer. Then I said ok cancel the pre-order I'll go to Verizon and he had the nerve to say that they are only letting people who preorder get their phones on Friday....:confused: ...Since when? I thought Verizon was opening at 8 am for EVERYONE. That is what happened last year. I'm pretty sure the guy was just a straight up liar though.

19. jlaw macrumors member

The guy who took my pre-order was the store manager, but mine was the first Verizon pre-order he'd done. Take this with a huge grain of salt, but he called his Verizon rep while I was there to get some help with completing the pre-order process, and he told me the rep said the phones will be there for a 9/21 release.

What concerns me is that I also got to take a look at the Radioshack pre-order guidelines (their manual for employees covering how to do the pre-order for each carrier) and it specifically noted that Verizon pre-orders are different in that they are done through Verizon's own "eROES" system and will be shipped to the store by Verizon directly (I assume as opposed to coming from a Radioshack distribution center or something). Since they don't seem to have a certain allocation of each model definitely coming to each store, unless Verizon is holding a certain amount of phones for Radioshack orders, we may be out of luck.

Crossing my fingers. Hopefully I can get a refund on the gift card if it doesn't arrive as promised.

20. nws0291 macrumors 6502

Makes sense. ATT preorders did not get a sep print out from the carrier. Just triggered an order to pull from their inventory. Now we will find out on Friday if that was real time actual inventory or just random projected stock. As the day went on models were not able to be selected for preorder. There was some form of inventory management being done.

21. rsnc macrumors regular

when i preorderd att from radio shack..i filled out this white piece of paper saying the size, color, applecare, etc...then had to buy a $50 gift card.
    I asked her when she was going to place the preorders for the people who came in to preorder..and she said that doing this preorder process on their systems is what orders the phone from apple..(or maybe from att)..

still have no idea if there will be any phones on the 21st...ill call thursday to see if they have heard anything.

22. nws0291 macrumors 6502

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if they have no phones on launch day.

23. diiamond89 macrumors member

diiamond89

Last year on launch day I walked into RadioShack before they closed and bought mine.. No pre order.
    :D

24. jkim3691 macrumors 6502a

I pre-ordered my 4s from Radioshack last year. They didn't charge me $50 for a gift card, they did the full $200. They pulled up what seemed like a stock screen on the computer and scanned a black 16gig for me. I got a call from them the day before saying I can come in the next day and pick up the phone. I walked in as soon as they opened and was the only one there. Walked out 10 minutes later with my new phone. Easy, but not sure if that's just local.

25. Max Archer macrumors member

I drove around today looking for a place that might still be a PO option and ended up at my local Radio Shack after striking out at AT&T and Best Buy. Anyway, RS had stopped taking POs, but the rep there said that they had a waitlist, and that they're supposed to be getting twice the phones that were preordered. (ie., for every PO they got, they'll have two phones) I was the first one on the waitlist at my local location, and they're supposed to find out tomorrow how many phones they're actually getting and will call me tomorrow. They took my info but didn't take any money, I'm not sure if they'll have me do a formal preorder if they turn out to have enough stock coming or what.

Anyway, it's probably worth a shot if you're looking for a phone.