RAM management! Apps reloading

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by quaresma, Nov 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. quaresma macrumors member

quaresma

RAM management is really bad on iOS 11. Apps reload multiple times a day, and I don’t have that many apps open. This is on a iPhone 8 Plus with 3gb RAM! What is going on??

Is it any better on 11.2 beta?

2. MacWins, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017

MacWins macrumors member

MacWins

I noticed that it only happens when you switch back to an app active on a page to update: Facebook diary, Twitter home page, Instagram home page, etc (who update their content all the time), but only if they haven’t been used for some time.
    However if you open a content on Fb, Twitter or even tapatalk, and you want to return to it no problem at all.
    Everything normal?
    Is there something we can do?

3. WaruiKoohii macrumors regular

It's definitely new behavior for Twitter. On iOS 10, switching between a few apps, then back to Twitter after several minutes would land you back on your timeline, and you'd refresh it. When iOS 11, Twitter reloads entirely which takes a few seconds, then it has to refresh your timeline. Very frustrating.

4. Kalloud macrumors regular

I think it's sad because iOS was known to be so optimized that it can keep a lot of apps in memory.
    I remember when my iPhone 6s was on iOS 9, it used to keep up to 20 apps open at a time. On iOS 10 it was down to 10, still good. On iOS 11, I hope it gets to iOS 10 level, at least.

5. MacWins macrumors member

MacWins

Exactly!!!
    I hope it too.

6. cynics macrumors G4

Which apps and what is there duration of inactivity? Many apps, especially social media will call for a refresh regardless of memory if they linger in the background upon bringing them to the front.

Imgur is a obvious example. It will refresh after seconds without even opening anything else. Its just designed that way to keep its data fresh. However what you'll notice with Imgur is its just the content reloading, not the app itself.

7. gardiboy macrumors 6502a

Opening the camera app almost always causes most apps in ram to be purged off

8. MacWins macrumors member

MacWins

This was my same consideration for Facebook’s diary, instagram and Twitter home page: they always refresh themselves when active, while opening “static” pages from multitasking, even after several minutes, is just fine and don’t need refreshing that app.

9. quaresma thread starter macrumors member

quaresma

Its not just the content reloading, thats the problem. The app itself is reloading

10. MacWins macrumors member

MacWins

No, not in my case
    I just reopened twitter (I was reading a tech tweet like 2 hours and a half a go) and it was just where I left it, the tweet I mean, not its content.

11. cynics macrumors G4

Well that is a problem. I haven't noticed that on my iPhone 6S so I did a little research (very little) and found this which I'm sure has been shared here before...

It seems this is more of an issue with the iPhone 8 specifically as the iPhone 7 on the same OS didn't exhibit the same issue. This would mean its not RAM (or lack thereof) or memory management (assuming they are the same) but more of an specific optimization problem with the iPhone 8.

While that sucks for sure there is a silver lining, it should be able to be fixed somewhat easily. Maybe someone running a beta with an iPhone 8 can comment to see if the issue is improved.

12. RPB65 macrumors member

No its no better on 11.2 beta's

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

The stock camera app is such a hog it’s nuts.

14. gardiboy macrumors 6502a

The camera app always triggers the flusing of most apps outta memory, even on the X, which has 3GB RAM

15. QuarterSwede, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

So it needs RAM management period. I’ll put in feedback (bug report). ... And reported as affecting all devices.