Rant on IKEA (or rant in general)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by danny_w, Sep 7, 2009.

1. danny_w macrumors 601

I made my first purchase Saturday at IKEA and my last trip there today. I will never step in that store again! I was moving to a new apartment and had never had a comforter/duvet cover before, so I thought I would try it out to see if I liked it. There walls are literally plastered with signs about "No worry! You can return it!", so I never thought to read the fine print; every other place I know of (Sears, Target, WalMart, Bed Bath and Beyond) will take back bedding that doesn't suit the user, no questions asked. Well I didn't like it and they won't take it back, so I am out $70 and the gas and time to drive 20 miles each way. I even was careful to use it ONLY on top of a top sheet. but they still wouldn't take it. I also bought another cheaper comforter in case I needed something lighter, and didn't use it, but unfortunately I didn't notice that the package had been opened, and they wouldn't take that back either. Since the prices of anything at IKEA that I would even consider letting into my home are no better than elsewhere, I will stick with other stores from now on. I know a lot of people love it, but I will never go there again.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't know their policy on bedding but to return an obviously faulty lamp that I bought not more than 5 hours prior they had to test and re-test. When I go to Ikea I tend to be sure about what I want. I admit it is surprising to hear they would not take back the comforter.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

What do they do with all the stuff that is open. I would hope that the cashiers are trained to look for open packaging for both the sake of the store and the customer.

4. laughingperson5 macrumors 6502

I love everything I buy from IKEA. That's where I got my whole bedset. Contemporary, Posh, <3.:D

5. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Glad you like it. Just don't try to take it back!

6. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Yes, I guess I (and others around here) have been spoiled by the courteous, efficient way that other stores handle returns. Apparently IKEA never heard of the notion.

7. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I exchanged a broken tv cabinet (that I mistakingly broke putting it together) no questions asked. I also had to exchange a dresser because it had a chip in it and they took it back no problems.

I've seen people return items assembled with no packaging at all. But this was a few years ago, maybe they tightened their return policy since then.

8. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

So, basically you admit you didn't bother to read the return policy, and now you're angry that they won't take it back - as per their policy? Typical. :rolleyes: As someone who has worked a long time in Customer Service, I have very little sympathy for you.

9. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Happened to me, they messed up one of my tables. There are 3 holes that you have to screw the washers on on each of the 4 indents, and only 2 or the 4 washer indents had holes... so whoever drilled it did half the job, and then decided to deep fry their shoe and eat it before packing it up and calling it a day.

Seeing as they wouldnt take it make, I took matters into my own hands and just drilled them myself, so its fixed now.

The desk I have worked fine, so I guess it is a case of bad luck but hey, I fell ya.

One of my graphic design professors hates IKEA too.. but its for something design related which has nothing to do with your rant.

10. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Haha :eek: I've also been on the wrong end of people wanting refunds.

I love IKEA. Moved to Austria a week ago and went straight to IKEA and got everything we needed for CHEAP the 2nd day (actually spent ALL day going to IKEA, we messed up the public transport system a bit)

11. garybUK Guest

garybUK

You've NEVER had a duvet before????? how odd!! i know some places here are funny with taking back stuff like that. I wouldn't like the thought of buying someone else's duvet..... ^shudder^ do they test it with a UV lamp? haha

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

First off I didn't know what a comforter was until this thread. And yea, I always thought everyone had a duvet! Like they were standard fare.

We've returned plenty of stuff to Ikea with no problems. We've even bought things and took them back just because the colour didn't match or what have you. Can't fault it really!

13. AngryApple macrumors 6502

What is a duvet? :confused: I thought comforters were standard. lol

14. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

And I always thought comforters were things Americans used in their Restrooms.

;)

15. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Yes I admit I didn't read there return policy, because I expected them to be competitive with the rest of the market, but unfortunately for me they are not. From now on I will deal with companies that are competitive (and that is not IKEA in this market). I don't know what other companies do with returned bedding (they may throw it away for all I know). The simple fact is that their return policy is not comparable to others in this market, and now I know.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wouldn't call myself an ikea fanboy, but I've like what I have purchased there. The wife and I bought a closet organizer, and various other furniture type stuff. Admittedly we've never tried returning anything but given what we've bought, its been a good experience.

17. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Next time, check the return policy

Sorry you got stuck with something you don't want, but it's hardly Ikea's fault that they don't run their business the way you think is "competitive" or normal...

18. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

No, but it is their fault if they fail in the market because they won't shape themselves to fit the market.

19. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Er, sure. Let me know next time you hear about Ikea "failing." Me, I'm not too worried about that happening anytime soon...

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

True, but given the fact that they're doing very well, I doubt that they will fail anytime soon. I'm not sticking up for them, but rather just stating the facts. Given the economy, and the inexpensive products they sell, its clear they like walmart are doing a booming business.

People vote with the pocketbooks and it seems at the moment, they're happy with what ikea provides and how they run their business.

21. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Yes that is true at the moment, but it is also true (at least in my area) that we are seeing the best customer service overall that we have seen in a very long time (also due to the economy no doubt). Store thats extend courteous and prompt customer service (of all types) will get my dollar any day, and in that area IKEA simply does not compete.

22. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

If only. I could use a comforter in a restroom.

23. samiwas macrumors 65816

I've had to return a few things at Ikea before and never had a problem. In fact, I was quite surprised at how easy it was and how readily they did take things back. I have a feeling there is either more to this story, or you had an abnormal experience.

And bad economy or not, I don't foresee Ikea failing any time soon. The one in Atlanta has been open for years now and it's still packed on a regular basis. On weekends, you can barely even get into the store.

24. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

I've had a bad return experience with IKEA as well that rather negatively impacted my view of them.

My wife and I purchased a tabletop and four legs for a table we needed in our spare bedroom. It was purchased with our debit card, in full. We got the pieces home only to discover that we picked up the wrong legs. Fine, no big deal, we'll swap them out the next day. My wife drove over to IKEA during her lunch break to swap out the legs. Rather than give her an option of cash back or store credit, they just defaulted to putting it on an IKEA gift card, with which she purchased the correct legs. She didn't think anything of it at the time because her intent was to exchange them for the correct ones.

So fast forward to a few days later when I'm putting the table together. Turns out it is WAY too tall, and alot more flimsy than I've had liked. So we packed it all back up and went off to IKEA to get a refund since we found something much nicer for a comparable price at Target. What should have been a simple process, turned into an absolute nightmare.

We had all of our receipts--the original, plus the one from the exchange. The tabletop was about $50 and the legs were about $65. They refused to give us a refund for the legs since the they were "purchased with gift card", despite being able to clearly see that they were NOT purchased with a gift card. The previous customer service person simply provided my wife with a gift card with which to purchase the correct legs. Never was there any mention that if she did that, it was a "final sale" at that point. Not to mention, since we purchased it with a debit card, why wouldn't you give it back in cash (which they can do)?

I went back and forth with several managers for much longer than I probably should have (probably about 30-45 minutes) and they insisted they literally COULD NOT process a refund for a "gift card" purchase, despite clearly seeing the process that had occurred that inadvertently led us to that point. I very, very reluctantly accepted the in-store credit because I was tired of arguing with them about it. But it's still sitting in a drawer somewhere at home, and I likely won't step foot into an IKEA again, at least for a while. Still makes me a bit mad when I think about it. :)

25. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I can't speak for Wal-Mart, Target, etc. but I did learn that the now-defunct Linens N Things would not let you return used bedding. It's along the same lines as returning a mattress - there are some people who see it as a sanitary issue, or maybe even something like bedbugs. It doesn't really surprise me that IKEA wouldn't take it back.

All things considered, I love IKEA.