Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An original and functional Apple-1 computer is up for auction on eBay, where it could fetch hundreds of thousands of dollars. The Apple-1 computer available for sale is known as the "Schlumberger 2" Apple-1, and it has been restored to full working condition.

apple-1.jpg

One of only dozens of Apple-1 computers remaining, the device is said to feature "almost all period-correct components" with the appropriate "make, part, and production date for an Apple-1 'NTI' board," with the exception of some multiplexor ICs.

The Schlumberger 2 Apple-1 is a second-batch Apple-1 computer that was originally purchased by an executive at oil services company Schlumberger Overseas in 1977. The Apple-1 is believed to be one of the last Apple-1 computers assembled in the Jobs family garage in late 1976 or early 1977.

The AAPL Collection's Jimmy Grewal owns the Apple-1 computer, and it is expected to sell for around $485,000 due to its condition and original components. The Schlumberger 2 Apple-1 has been signed by Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak, and the auction is set to last until June 12.

The Apple-1 was the first Apple product created by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak when Apple Computer was founded, and there are few left in existence of the original 200 that were manufactured.

A first batch Apple-1 went up for auction in May and sold for more than $460,000, and back in November 2021, an Apple-1 in a koa wood case sold for $500,000. Other Apple-1 computers have sold for upwards of $815,000, with rarer machines fetching more money.

Article Link: Rare Apple-1 Computer Signed by Steve Wozniak Up for Auction

Reactions: sydneysider88

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I have every Apple II ever made (II, II+, IIe, IIc, IIc+, IIgs) but don't see the hype about the I except for historical piece since it's only a text terminal unlike II series that have graphics. Text only is boring.

• Haha
Reactions: rafark

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G4
I have every Apple II ever made (II, II+, IIe, IIc, IIc+, IIgs) but don't see the hype about the I except for historical piece since it's only a text terminal unlike II series that have graphics. Text only is boring.

I doubt someone buying this will be wanting to do graphical things on it. I would guess they will never even try to turn it on... just hold it for a while and then put it up for auction again.

It’s rather peculiar that every year some old ancient Apple computer goes up for auction

What's peculiar? Every day all kinds of old, ancient everything get put up for some kind of sale. Browse eBay or Craigslist. On any given day, there are many thousands of things that seem towards being classified as pure junk. And yet, there they are... attempting to become someone else's coveted treasure. People like to turn existing assets back into usable cash. See that last paragraph. If this one fetches those kinds of numbers, they turn what is otherwise a useless piece of ancient tech into a whole lot of useful cash.

Last edited:

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Buyer beware — the Apple-1 is on the official list of obsolete devices.

$400k for a computer Apple doesn’t even support anymore? Hard pass. 😉

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
It’s rather peculiar that every year some old ancient Apple computer goes up for auction
Goes to show how the world values the contributions of Apple. The nerd herd can pontificate forever that Apple wasn’t the first, the best, never innovated, doesn’t innovate today, is always a day late but they are urinating into the wind. Apple captured the public’s imagination. I vividly remember the year I purchased my Apple II+. There were literally a dozen or more ‘computer’ companies vying for the market. There was something different about the Apple II+ that made it stand out in front of the also-rans.

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.