Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
Uncharted 1 2 and 3 (Three games, but same series)

11/10 - Seriously there's no rating system that do these games justice. The dialogue, mo-capped acting and storyline are unsurpassed. Only games that are the the same level are Mass Effect, BioShock, Fallout and Half-Life/Portal games.

Absolute must play.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Sunset Overdrive
This game was a breath of fresh air to the next gen platform. The little quirky additions such as camera angles or play on them, the funny dialogue and jabs at game development, and some of the characters were genuinely funny.

The fetch quests got old and it seemed to drag at the end but man it was such a fun game.

4.5 * outta 5

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
The last game I actually finished was Metroid Prime. 10/10.
It was a great adventure. I loved exploring the alien world, seeing what new areas I could get to after every new ability I unlocked. It kept the game interesting. I also liked how the story was presented in bits and pieces scattered around the environment rather than cutscenes. I ended up scanning everything I could find to learn what was going on. The controls were pretty good for a FPS game of that generation, thankfully it had a lock on mode.
The graphics were also pretty nice.
I loved the music as well -- dat Magmoor Caverns. That tune is still stuck in my head!

Celtic Warrior

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Toronto, ON
The Grand Theft Auto V 10/10

I could honestly say that I really enjoyed every part of this game on my xbox one. Graphics and gameplay are amazing, but the most enjoyable part is script or storyline obviously. Since it's a next generation console, there's option to play fps which I did not use that often, it was lots of fun to play in fps though. The graphics are also ported pretty good from the 360/ps3 gen. It's one of the best game to play out there.

DanGoh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2014
The Grand Theft Auto V 10/10

I could honestly say that I really enjoyed every part of this game on my xbox one. Graphics and gameplay are amazing, but the most enjoyable part is script or storyline obviously. Since it's a next generation console, there's option to play fps which I did not use that often, it was lots of fun to play in fps though. The graphics are also ported pretty good from the 360/ps3 gen. It's one of the best game to play out there.

YUP! Easily one of the top three PS4 games you can play today. I just felt it was a little too short.

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis.
I'd give it an 8/10.

I enjoyed the first half of the game (city streets/police station) more than the second half (clock tower on). After you get out of the city Nemesis hardly shows up anymore. Without him showing up at random and chasing you there's not much tension in the second half. -1 point.

-1 more point for the text that displays on the bottom edge of the screen whenever you load a save. That text didn't change throughout the whole game, always "they've taken everything, this is my last escape.........". A very minor thing, but it got boring seeing the same text every time. I'm pretty sure the other RE games show something different, at least if you load a save from a new area..

Otherwise, it's a great game. I was entertained through the whole thing.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Alien Isolation. I'll give it a 9/10. Fantastic plot and pacing, only hindered by what felt like a slightly rushed ending. Had some amazingly terrifying moments, all organic too, scripted sequences are few and far between. Got some smashing screenshots. :)

Attachments

• alien.jpg
    alien.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 149

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Alien Isolation. I'll give it a 9/10. Fantastic plot and pacing, only hindered by what felt like a slightly rushed ending. Had some amazingly terrifying moments, all organic too, scripted sequences are few and far between. Got some smashing screenshots. :)

That game's been sitting on my shelf for a few weeks. Haven't been brave enough to pop it in yet! :D

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
Civilization: Beyond Earth 7/10

Never tried Civ before and it was a steep learning curve and quite hard to learn everything. Just like games used to be in the good old days :)

But after finally winning once, the appeal to run it again kinda died..

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
Prototype 2. 7/10

IGN's review is spot on. "Forgettable fun":
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/04/25/prototype-2-review

The story isn't all that great, very forgettable. The character you play as, Heller, isn't very exciting. Always angry and adding unnecessary profanity to literally all of his sentences, to the point of being ridiculously comical. There was a point towards the end of the game that they tried to bring more character to Heller but it just failed. In one cutscene he is his regular angry, swearing self. Directly after that scene they tried to make him sentimental, and in the next scene he was back to his angry self again. It just didn't work. Perhaps the Heller character is bipolar with a case of tourrets.....?

In the end all of that can be pretty much ignored because the actual gameplay - causing chaos and destruction - is a lot of fun. The AI was at times really dumb though. Most times I'd enter enemy bases by flying through the air, dropping about 100 ft. from the sky, landing right next to an enemy soldier, and they wouldn't bat an eye.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I've started and played through many games, but have yet to finish them or probably ever will since they've gotten so freakin' difficult :mad:... Reignmaker (Steam/PC), Final Fantasy IV (iOS), Zuma Legends (Origins/PC), and several more, but can't recall for now.

Metroid Prime 2 for Wii?
It's technically part of the Metroid Prime Trilogy, and I'm actually currently at the final boss. Close enough? Compared to the 1st one, I like how they introduced new weapons. The twist is they now take ammo, like missiles and power bombs. With Light Aether and Dark Aether, you now have a Legend Of Zelda world/environment duality type thing going on now (light world vs. dark world, present vs. future, regular vs. minish world, etc.), but a first for a Metroid game. Some new elements like multi-missiles certainly keep the formula from getting stale.

I don't know if I'll play through this on Hypermode, as I'm stuck on Meta-Ridley for MP1 on that same difficulty too. It's gotten frustrating enough that I said "screw it!". Don't know if I'll bother with it after the current hiatus. Be giving up some in-game collectibles and unlockables, but it's just so annoying at times. On the plus side, the MP2's still relatively fresh. OTOH, it's good to get variety, and am eager to break into MP3.

Tiki Totems 2 for iOS? (if you want a game that was actually beat)
Quick, pick up and play puzzler. You need to tap on blocks to remove x # of them while ensuring that an tiki idol piece doesn't hit the ground and anger the gods, else you lose the level. 3 other modes, many different block types (e.g. blocks that bounce, permanent ones, ice ones that only break with force). Angry Birds like level of casual. Many levels can be beat within 5 seconds. Some more complex ones require foreplanning and many tries to execute correctly. Finished all 350+ something levels in due time.

david91

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2015
played world of warcraft-warlords of draenor last, 8/10 .
They could done it much more better and do more balance .

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Wolf Among Us-XB1

What a fantastic gaming experience. Quirky story, amazing characters, and great plot line throughout. I havent met a TellTale game I havent enjoyed yet and this one didnt disappoint at all and highly recommended.

9/10--only point deduction due to it being rather short

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Tomb Raider Definitive Edition (PS4): 8.5/10

Great game, lots of fun. Good mix of action, puzzles and collectables. Very pretty, too. Sound mix was weird, dialogue was always drowned in background noises - very strange. Story, characters and voice acting were solid, but nowhere near Uncharted quality. Gameplay nailed it though, I really enjoyed it!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Dragon Quest: The Journey of the Cursed King (PS2)

I've had this for years and have finally finished it. The art style has held up pretty well and it has plenty of funny bits in it, but I really do need to criticise the length. It took me around 64 hours from start to finish and it felt like about half of that was mashing X and letting the AI figure things out. In the second half of the game it takes a very long time to level up, making it feel like you're making no progress whatsoever.

With that said, I did enjoy the game enough to make it through to the end, which is more than I can say for some others. I rate it 6.5/10.

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
Metroid for NES played via 3DS virtual console. I'll be a little lenient on it since it is a classic NES game and give it a 9/10. It's an enjoyable game, for the most part, but these were my main annoyances with it:
  • Lack of an in-game map since a lot of the areas look the same (technical limitation).
  • Farming for health. At least you can use the pipes with the constantly respawning enemies. Still, it's a drag when you need to fill up 5 of your energy tanks.
  • The boss difficulty: Ridley is a complete pushover if you get in the right position. Once I got under his stream of projectiles (not hard to do) he couldn't hit me. Kraid on the other hand.. the amount of projectiles he constantly sprays out at you is ridiculous. I tried to use a little strategy, the first time I fought him, and froze some of his chest-needle-things while I launched missiles at him, and it just didn't work. Too much crap flying around the screen and the freeze effect doesn't last very long. I didn't stand much of a chance. On my second attempt I had some luck and beat him by staying in his face and spamming missiles..meh
  • Getting hit by enemies while you are transitioning rooms (unavoidable damage)
  • The frame rate slow downs when there are too many enemies on screen. Technical limitation - at the time. I wished they had fixed it for the virtual console 3DS version. I guess it's authentic to keep the frame rate slow down in....

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I've been playing Simon Tatham's Portable Puzzle collection for a while on iOS. This is a collection of brain puzzle type games and I love it. I would give this collection a 9 out of 10, there's always room for improvement. I really like games that make me use my brain :)

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
Crash Bandicoot 2 - 7/10

Much improved over the original! A very user friendly save system! I can save after each level I beat! And I don't lose all the extra lives I've accumulated when I load a save! :D
The controls seemed to be improved as well. Being able to use the joysticks was nice at times, especially on the "run from he boulder" levels (which were also, thankfully, a little more forgiving).
The difficulty level seemed to be just right, not too easy, not too frustrating.

My main gripes with the game were:

The jet pack levels. They sucked. Mostly because the controls were very weird..

and the final fight with Cortex. I hated it. It's also a jet pack level. I thought it was a lame way to end a good game. An unsatisfying boss fight.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood

Great oldschool FPS trip and add-on to New Order. I'd give it a 8.5-9.0

Had plenty of moments where I had to laugh quite a bit. Have yet to try the challenge mode but the seetings were greatly atmospheric and the design good - so think I'll give it a try after...

...I finished The New Order once more. Giving these a try on Über now. :eek:

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
Metroid II: Return of Samus 8/10

I played it on the 3DS virtual console. It was the original black and white Game Boy version. It would have been nice if I could have run the game under Game Boy Color version of the VC. The Game Boy Color had a specific color palette for Metroid 2 which, according to pictures, looked great - not that the black and white bothered me.

Anyway, great game. I was surprised at the amount of upgrades available. The story was a little lacking. I had to look up on Wiki that I was supposed to be on the Metroid's home planet to exterminate them before the Space Pirates could take the Metroids for their own uses. Maybe the original box and manual explained all of this, but the VC did not.

I loved that there were save points and missile and health refill stations. A much needed improvement over Metroid 1. My only real gripes with Metroid 2 are mostly limitations of the hardware at the time:
a lack of enemies in several locations and most of the environments looking the same.

Aside from that, it didn't seem like there was a brief period of invincibility after taking damage from enemies. At times it annoyed me that I could constantly take damage from one enemy. Although it sometimes worked in my favor - I could "juggle" some of the Metroids against the edge of the screen with missiles without them ever hitting me. :)

fancyrobe

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2014
Bloodborne/Ps4

An amazing experience, insane difficulty together with tight controls and an fantastic atmosphere. I rate 9/10 and the only thing that i felt a bit let down by was the graphics, but overall it's just plain amazing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.