Rate your iphone 3g overall experience...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Poat84, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Poat84 macrumors 6502

Poat84

1-10, 10 being the best...How is your overall experience with the iphone 3g?

How do you like the service, web, email, text, camera and reception for phone calls?

I was planning on picking up the iphone 3g in January after New Years. Should I continue to get the iphone3g, wait for a newer iphone or get something else?

The reason i ask is because I see some threads where people dont like the 2.2updates or they expected more for the iphone.

I've really wanted the iphone 3g when it first came out and I still do.

So do I still go for it and pick it up and ignore the negative talk about the iphone 3g and see how I like it myself?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    You will always see tons of threads from the usual complainers. People are never completely satisfied with their things. I think negative experiences with the iPhone are blown way out of proportion. The "rant" threads will always outnumber the "praise" thread 10:1. People who are happy usually don't take the time to make a thread to tell everyone about it.

Anyways I love my iPhone 3G - everything about it. It does everything I want it to do, plus more. I have to say that it is my favorite phone I have owned so far.

Edit: oops I forgot to mention I give it a 10!

3. w...b macrumors regular

i would give my experience with the phone a 10. I have had no real problems. The first one i got was an 8g and it had a screen sensor problem. Then i gave my second one to my bro for his 16g white. Any problems would be only a minor software issue. But its expected.

4. ncsimmons03 macrumors member

Would like to see a couple of minor changes (pic messaging, better camera)as do many people but for the most part it's amazing.

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

I did a jailbreak for the MMS. Works like a charm.

6. Poat84 thread starter macrumors 6502

Poat84

If I got an 8gb phone and used up all the memory, would my phone be slower?

7. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

Mine was so full that it said zero kb free, and it ran just like normal.

8. Poat84 thread starter macrumors 6502

Poat84

Woohoo! I just checked to see if I qualify to open an AT&T wireless account and I am. So Iphone here I come!:D:apple::D:apple:

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Since I have (5) 3G iPhones, I would have to rate our experience as: 50 :p

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I would give the iPhone a 7 out of 10.

I would give every other smart-phone I've ever used a 4 or 5 out of 10.

I hope that answers your question!

11. Poat84 thread starter macrumors 6502

Poat84

So if I Jailbreak my phone I'd be able to send/recieve SMS?

Is jailbreaking the phone hard? Will it ruin the phone?

12. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

Jailbreaking is easy, but you have to be willing to dealing with upgrades/ a little bugginess sometimes. I think it is totally worth it. It adds a great deal of functionality to my iPhone experience. There is a very slim chance that it will "ruin" your phone. If something goes wrong you can always do a DFU restore.

13. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Service:

8: Not sure what you mean by this one, but if you mean AT&T Customer Service, I have never really had many issues with them. A few billing issues but other than that, solid I guess.

Web:

10: Sorry. Other phones can try and claim what they want. The web surfing on the iPhone is better than any other phone on the market and probably will be for at least the near future.

Email:

6: Okay, some will say a 6 is too low, but sorry, this is from MY experiences.

First, a bit of background.

I am a Windows guy, if you will.

I am a self admitted Google and Gmail fan boy. No other email comes close in my opinion for ease of use and speed and price. I also refuse to use Outlook as anything other than like a hard backup type of thing for emergencies. NOT for every day use.

I rely exclusively on a web site and the phone for email.

Since I got my 3G I have switch from having Gmail on the phone to Mobile Me and back about 20 times because I can't decide which I want to go with. The battle basically comes down to Synced Callendars, Contacts and Push (MobileMe) versus Overall Better Web Experience and FAR superior Web Performance with the Email and Battery Life. (Push DRAINS a battery, period. I went from daily charging to every three days just by turning off PUSH and setting email to manual.)

Text:

7: The threaded texting is nice. The lack of MMS and a Landscape Keyboard are not.

Camera:

8: It is decent for a phone camera. There are some better on the market, but honestly, if someone uses this as a reason to either buy or not buy a phone, I really feel sorry for them.

Reception for phone calls:

6: I have a lot of dropped calls and call setup failures. And on a personal note, at my house, I get like 2 bars of edge, which really bums me out. When I move again, I may have to break out my phone as a requirement. (The dropped calls are not just at home though.)

App Store:

10+: Obviously, going by my ranking, the App Store is the shiz. And it is, point blank. I had a Windows Mobile HTC 8525 (A tilt without being able to tilt) and I had 2 Blackberries, and those do not even come in the same stratosphere as the iPhone when it comes to 3rd party applications, ease of install, function, fun, use, etc.

iPod:

10: I noticed little difference between the phone's iPod and my Nano to be honest. In fact, I haven't touched my Nano since July 11th, the day I got my iPhone.

So there is my review. Who am I? Just some schmo with an iPhone.

I think it all boils down to what you want in your phone.

If Emails are priority #1, then I would not get an iPhone under any circumstances. I am sure some Apple Fan Boys will boo me, and that is fine, but for Emails, iPhone still does not touch a Blackberry.

However, if basically everything else is more important to you, then the iPhone is for you for sure. Better Music, better Web Surfing, better Apps available and better overall Entertainment value.

14. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

15. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

16. KyPosey macrumors regular

KyPosey

At first i wont lie i would have given the phone a 0.

My first phone would constantly crash, was buggy, wouldnt back up, wouldnt restore, and overall made me want to throw it away.

After apple got me a new one ive been happy since. I wouldnt go giving this phone a 10...but a solid 7 for now until the main issues are fixed making it more like the other phones on the market that can do simple tasks.

17. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Yeah ... I'm about here, though I'd maybe give the phone an 8 or 8.5.

Aside from a pair of not "100% perfect" handsets ... I've had no major complaints.

18. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

19. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

7 for me, would have been 8 if maps wasn't broke in 2.2

20. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

9. My only complaint is the intermittent and unpredictable "black screen of death" that only a hard restart will fix. I was hoping 2.2 would fix that, but it seems to be getting worse with the update... grr.

21. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

I got mine yesterday... 16GB.. ;)

Well, I'll give it a 9.5... why?

I think this is the greatest phone that I ever had. I'm still playing with it and getting along with all it's features. I think the web browser is the best one from all the other phones out there. Maps works great... I work as a photographer and this phone is perfect to show my portfolio to my clients. Emails work super nice... no complains there. The only thing I don't like is the back cover... is plastic, not like the first iphone with the aluminum cover... overall I say 9.5