Reactivating my 2g iPhone to become 3GS eligible????

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by QuietFun, Jun 15, 2009.

1. QuietFun macrumors regular

QuietFun

I saw in some thread that this worked but would like a conformation from more people.. I know it worked to become eligible for the 3G.. ATT was NOT helpful when I called them they didn't seem to know much about what I was asking. I bought the 3g the day it came out and it says i'm not eligible until march 10

2. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, but your eligibility is determined by your account, not your phone. Your account would have to be eligible for an update and that is determined by the contract initiation date and the terms that you signed it.

For instance, I bought a 3G in december. I cannot update until this December. If I go and set my phone number back to my 2G, my account will still be locked for upgrade purposes until December.

3. chriszzz macrumors 6502

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You should be eligible for the $399 and $499 price.
    If not go to an AT&T store and they'll fix it and order one for you.
    YOu're not getting the $199 and $299 price though.

5. QuietFun thread starter macrumors regular

QuietFun

then why does it say my eligibility for full sub pricing is next year and not july 11

6. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

There may be a couple reasons:
    Have you ever been late with a payment?
    Did you replace a subsidized phone with a subsidized phone?
    Did you have to pay a deposit?

There are many reasons you could be having to wait. I'd say go to the store on friday and talk to a human in person rather than over the phone.

7. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

Yes it works. IT WORKS. I had a 2g iPhone. I saw the 3G come out last year and didn't want it, plus I wanted a keyboard. I got a Blackberry Curve. Now the 3GS comes out, so I decide I want that. Since it had been a year, last June, AT&T said I could have one for $399. I checked my account on their site AND at the Apple store. My mind started turning. I took the SIM directly out of my curve, put it back in my 2g which I never sold but instead put in a drawer, thank God, and voila, activated it. Both att.com and the apple store then said magically that I could have the new 3GS for $199.

I did this very thing.

8. paulgerr macrumors newbie

The standard for eligibility for an upgrade is 18 to 21 months into your 24-month contract, depending on your "loyalty." For long-term customers, sometimes the eligibility period is shortened to 12 months.

9. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

It was a work around last year for some, I'd be interesting if it was still the case.

Can someone post screenshots of before and after re-activating a 2G? If so when I pick up my 3GS, $10 and I'll let people activate my old 2G on their account for a day so they can get the discount pricing. (local only of course)

10. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

Why was it a workaround last year? Everyone could get the 3G for $199 since the 2g was unsubsidized.

11. QuietFun thread starter macrumors regular

QuietFun

no I haven't been late or anything like that. we're on a family plan and everything has been on time.

Really?? glad to see someone new what i was aiming at.. But since I'm already a 3g user would it be possible for activate backwards so to speak and make it seem like on my account that I never went to the 3g?

12. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

I'm confused, did you buy the curve for $399, or was the 3GS $399?

13. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

The 3GS was going to be $399 since I had bought a subsidized Curve for like $199 with a $100 rebate or something like that. But now, according to att.com, the phone showing on my account is a 2g iPhone, when I am really just 12 months into a Curve contract.

14. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Last year people bought any other phone at a subsidized price through AT&T, yet they wanted the iPhone 3G. They would take their buddies 2G iPhone and activate it on their AT&T account. Instantly it would make them upgrade eligible.

The reason for this is AT&T came out with a policy that anyone who bought and is using a 2G iPhone will be upgrade eligible. Do an MRoogle search and you will see countless threads on this very topic dating back to May/June of 08.

15. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

No idea. I was going to try it out and see what happened, and it worked.

16. QuietFun thread starter macrumors regular

QuietFun

People who got the Original iPhone after July 11 last year couldnt get subsidized pricing so everyone let all their friends upgrade there accounts using their 1st gen even though they had other phones.. thats what I let my friends do..

17. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

He's saying that it works, give it a try and let us know. Also, these kind of questions you don't want to ask a CSR over the phone. This is definitely a forum type question.

18. Surely Guest

Surely

Screenshots or it never happened.

19. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

yeah sounds like bogus to me, but i dont have a 2G to test and I already ordered a 16gb white for $399

20. QuietFun thread starter macrumors regular

QuietFun

Yea can you post some please.. I don't want to risk EXTENDING my eligibility

21. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

Yeah, I made sure to take screenshots on Friday afternoon while I did all this, hoping it would validate me on macrumors.com/forums. Why would I take screenshots of this? What exactly do you want screen shots of? Further proof, at least to me, whereas att.com originally said I could upgrade in Feb 2010, now it is saying Feb 2011, which I assume is because my 3GS order went through.

22. QuietFun thread starter macrumors regular

QuietFun

all im saying is just show us the receipt (block out all personal info) and the proof your using a 2g on ur account.. cuz so far your only one of what I hopped would be many..

23. Surely Guest

Surely

You can take screenshots now. Sign into your AT&T account or check your upgrade eligibility on Apple.com and take a screenshot of your eligibility.

Obviously, leave account and personal info out of the shot.

If you're on a Mac, use shift-command-4.

Otherwise..... anyone could claim anything without proving it.

24. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

If there's anyone in the Highlands Ranch/Denver area that wants to give this a try on Friday after I have picked up my 3GS, respond here and we can meet up to give it a go.

I have no problem letting someone use my original iPhone to see if it works. I just don't want to be out of a phone for work purposes, otherwise I'd meet up with someone tomorrow.

25. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

What receipt?