READ ME FIRST: Definitive Watch Preorder FAQ

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by specik, Apr 18, 2015.

1. specik, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: May 3, 2015

specik macrumors 6502

specik

Before posting in this sub-forum, please read the following.

In an effort to stop the numerous duplicate posts about delivery estimates, pre-order dates, shipping timelines, and so on, I've put together this list of frequently asked questions. This post will be updated as more information becomes available. Other forum members, feel free to suggest items to go on this list and I will incorporate them as appropriate.

Did anyone get an exact 4/24 delivery date?
    No. No one did. The earliest delivery window that anyone received is 4/24-5/8.

Will my delivery estimate change before shipment?
    When your order actually ships, the delivery estimate will update to reflect the expected carrier delivery date. Some of later delivery windows like "June" may update before shipment to be more specific once Apple has a better outlook on stock availability.

The Deliveries app updated to give me a date!
    The Deliveries app backend was recently updated to read the delivery ranges for your order properly. The app will now show a countdown to the later date in your delivery window. This does not mean anything has changed on Apple's side with your order.

I have a delivery window later than 4/24-5/8, will my  WATCH ship earlier?
    Any information around this topic is purely speculation. The fact is Apple provided your shipment estimate based on when they expected to have stock to fulfill your order. Stock availability can always change and if it does, that will be reflected in your expected delivery date. It is doubtful anyone that received anything other than the earliest delivery window will receive anything on 4/24.

I ordered right after 3:01am and got a later delivery date than someone else who ordered at the same time!
    Depending on which watch you ordered, you may have gotten a later delivery window. When the pre-orders went live, there were certain Apple Watch models that were not available for the earliest 4/24-5/8 delivery window. This is likely due to constrained stock for those models. As an example, the Stainless Steel w/ Link bands started the preorder at 4-6 weeks, while the Stainless Steel w/ White Sport band had the earliest delivery window.

Can I buy the  WATCH in the store on the 24th? Is there in-store pickup?
    No and no. There will be no in-store stock of the watch for at least the entire month of May, perhaps even longer depending on demand. The only way you can purchase a watch is through the Apple Online Store and having it delivered to your home or place of business. There is no in-store pickup available at this time. There are a few select specialty boutiques across the world that may have some Apple Watch stock, but not all models and configurations. See this article for more details.

An Apple rep at the store or over the phone told me X, Y or Z.
    Neither AppleCare over the phone or retail store employees have any "insider" information about the Watch, its shipping dates, supply/demand, or availability. Don't waste support's time asking when things are going to ship or be available, they flat out don't know. This information is limited to senior VPs at the company, and no one else.

My credit card hasn't even been charged / there is a pending charge / when does Apple charge my card?
    This seems to vary based on payment method and bank but in general Apple either temporarily authorized a small amount like $1.00 or the full cost of the Watch. This temporary authorization drops off your card after several business days. Once your Watch leaves the "Processing" status and goes into the "Preparing for Shipment" status, your card will then be charged. If you purchased AppleCare+ with your Watch, you may have already been charged for that as it is a service, not a physical product that requires shipment.

What if my card gets declined when Apple tries to charge me for the watch?
    You have a grace period to contact Apple and change your payment method. This will not cause you to lose your place in line. If you don't take care of this ASAP (within a day), Apple may cancel your order and you will lose your place in line.

I forgot to get AppleCare+ for my watch, can I get it now?
    Yes, just call AppleCare after receiving your watch (you'll need the serial number) to add AppleCare+. Historically, you're also able to do this at the Genius Bar at your local store.

My shipping address is wrong!
    You can change your shipping address before your order goes into the "preparing for shipment" state. To do this, log in to Order Status, then click the "All Item Actions" menu. You can change your shipping address there. This will not cause you to lose your place in line.

Will my  WATCH and extra bands I ordered ship at the same time?
    It depends on which bands you ordered. Some bands were not available for delivery during the initial launch window. If your watch and accessories both show the same delivery window, it's likely they'll ship at the same time. If not, they will ship separately but this will not delay the delivery of your watch.

Do I have to be home for the  WATCH to be delivered?
    All Apple deliveries are sent as signature required. This means that someone does have to be home to personally sign for it. You may be able to pre-sign for Apple Watch even if you don't see a "Pre-sign for delivery" button on your order status page. Simply chat with an Apple rep and they will email you a pre-sign form if it's an option in your country.

Will Apple launch a new  WATCH next year?
    No one knows the answer to this question. Anything is possible, but many believe that the watch will be on a different refresh cycle than other products, especially since Apple has made every effort to market and sell this watch differently than any other product.

I read that the  WATCH Sport includes two bands, can I swap/sell the extra one?
    No. The Sport does not come with two complete bands. It comes with three band pieces: one fastener piece (the piece with the metal peg) which is the same regardless of wrist size, and then two adjustment pieces (the piece with the holes) for S/M and M/L wrist sizes.

Is the  WATCH water proof? Can I swim with it?
    Apple Watch is splash and water resistant but not waterproof. You can, for example, wear and use Apple Watch during exercise, in the rain, and while washing your hands, but submerging Apple Watch is not recommended. Apple Watch has a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 60529. The leather bands are not water resistant.

Can I return/exchange  WATCH in the store?
    All Apple products purchased on the Apple Online Store can be returned to the physical store unless Apple decides to change this policy for the watch. You will not be able to exchange the watch in the store since they won't have any watches in stock. Once stores receive watch stock, exchanges will be possible then.

Will the Genius Bar have  WATCH replacements available for swaps/repairs?
    Early reports indicate the Genius Bar does have replacements available for those with technical problems with their watch. Although this seems to vary greatly depending on the store and location. A lot of stores have to mail in your watch for replacement.

2. Azzin macrumors 68040

Azzin

Great thread, thanks for the hard work.

I just thought it might be prudent to mention that I don't think we have this 'Pre-Sign for Delivery' option in the UK...

3. MrLoL macrumors 6502

MrLoL

4. specik thread starter macrumors 6502

specik

Ah, good point. I will clarify that this is an option in the US and if anyone knows of this being an option in any other countries, let me know.

5. Mathletics macrumors member

Mathletics

Great FAQ! Now can someone delete the 100+ posts debating this exact information?

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Also, I think it should say *someone* needs to sign for the package, not "you" personally. I have my Apple products shipped to my office, where the office staff who happens to be at the front desk signs for them. If it's being delivered to a home, a family member can sign for it. The person who placed the order need not be present.

7. Jsmil009 macrumors regular

Great FAQ! So when will my order update? Do you think it will get here on the 24th? :D

8. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

Thanks for taking the time to make this, now it just needs to be a sticky.

9. specik thread starter macrumors 6502

specik

Great point. Updated the FAQ.

10. SixtyK macrumors 6502a

SixtyK

Well done. I would like to nominate this to be a Sticky... I have no influence here but I'm saying it anyway. :cool:

11. specik thread starter macrumors 6502

specik

Thanks. Not sure how posts actually end up sticky. But it would be helpful for those coming to the forum for the first time to cut down on the amount of dupe posts.

12. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Great FAQ! Thanks!

Do you think you could add a point regarding contacting Apple reps? We've already seen quite a few topics stating that a rep claimed that the watches will ship on X day or that a rep has some inside info on the future of the Watch. It's clear they do not have solid information about shipping times or other confidential info regarding the Watch, so they should be left alone for when there are actual problems!

13. specik thread starter macrumors 6502

specik

Thanks! Awesome idea. Went ahead and added a section about this.

14. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

You deserve an award for that, maybe now we will not have 100+ "Will my watch deliver on the 24th?!" Posts!

Thank you!

15. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

16. Mavik macrumors member

17. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

18. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

As a note, my AppleCare+ was part of my AW order, was part of the pending charge that since fell off (ApplePay) and has not been charged. So, you may or may not be charged 'immediately' for AC+.

Great FAQ, thought, thanks for doing it!

19. Uccle macrumors 6502

Wow. This post sucked the life out of the the entire :apple: watch forum:rolleyes:

Seriously, good job!

20. Syke23z macrumors member

Syke23z

Clarification for the 2 sport bands could be added. Have seen this question a lot on multiple forums. Also, great post!

21. dilap macrumors 6502a

Maybe add a FAQ about water resistance, and that it's not waterproof but water resistant. Have seen a few threads about that. Thanks for the post!

22. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

You might want to throw something in there about the initial preorder availability. There seems to be a good deal of ire on the forums around order timing vs. which shipping window each person received. Only people who ordered early AND ordered a watch that was actually eligible for the first wave could even get delivery that early.

For example: 2 posters both ordered 3 minutes after midnight Pacific time. One ordered a 38mm SS w/white sport band. Got delivery window of 4/24-5/8. The other ordered a 42mm SS w/Link band and got a 4-6 week delivery window.

Most of us know this is because Apple had stock of the SS w/white sport band available and did not have the SS w/Link band available until May, but it seems like we've gotten a good many posters who don't realize this and are frustrated and obsessing over what time they ordered.

Just a thought.

Great FAQ, btw. Thanks so much for putting it together!

23. specik thread starter macrumors 6502

specik

Thanks for the suggestions, went ahead and added them!