Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zmunkz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
Nice summary of the mess of the last few weeks -- thanks for compiling this! I saw a few threads earlier last week about adding apple care after the fact, which can be done once the product arrives. Up to you if its worth a mention in your main list... maybe not since the main rush if pre-orders is probably off already.

specik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Also, definitely a lot of posts about how to software update the watch, you could put that in there.

Yeah I considered that but I want this thread to be strictly about the pre-order process and less of a FAQ about Watch software/functionality especially since some of the information is speculation until we get our hands on the watch.

forgot-username

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2015
The guy showing me the Apple Watch today at the Apple Store (my second appointment, this time to show my girlfriend) told me that the Apple Watch Sport ONLY fits/accepts the sport band which is wrong as I know because I was allowed to combine Sport 38mm and Milanese Loop band (great combo) and it works perfectly. ALL 38mm bands will fit ALL three Watches and the same for 42mm. The Apple Store staff know LESS than the people reading these articles/boards in general.

Ps. The modern buckle leather might be expensive and from Italy but it's thin, stiff and looks and feels like the faux/printed plastic leather on really cheap watches. All the other bands are delicious.

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
The guy showing me the Apple Watch today at the Apple Store (my second appointment, this time to show my girlfriend) told me that the Apple Watch Sport ONLY fits/accepts the sport band which is wrong as I know because I was allowed to combine Sport 38mm and Milanese Loop band (great combo) and it works perfectly. ALL 38mm bands will fit ALL three Watches and the same for 42mm. The Apple Store staff know LESS than the people reading these articles/boards in general.

Ps. The modern buckle leather might be expensive and from Italy but it's thin, stiff and looks and feels like the faux/printed plastic leather on really cheap watches. All the other bands are delicious.
The 42mm leather loop isn't especially supple. Perhaps it'll soften up in time. The surprise to me was how nice the sport bands felt!

Zakkates

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
Naperville, IL
It should be noted that Apple Watch Sport Bands can be switched. You only need one pin and then can switch them out with different color bands.

This is exactly how FitBit's color bands worked (shipped with two band sizes and one pin - you could still switch the the different band sizes, but only had one pin for multiple bands)

forgot-username

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2015
It should be noted that Apple Watch Sport Bands can be switched. You only need one pin and then can switch them out with different color bands.

This is exactly how FitBit's color bands worked (shipped with two band sizes and one pin - you could still switch the the different band sizes, but only had one pin for multiple bands)

But the part of the band that has the pin will all have pins and you only get one so I'm not sure who would need to remove the pin or how that would help anyone with swappung/having multiple colours.

Zakkates

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
Naperville, IL
Swapping Sport Bands w/ Apple Watch

But the part of the band that has the pin will all have pins and you only get one so I'm not sure who would need to remove the pin or how that would help anyone with swappung/having multiple colours.

Let's say I get a Blue Sport Band and you get a Black Sport Band. I have a Large wrist, you have a small wrist. I keep my Large Blue Band (2 pieces) and my 1 pin. You keep your Small Black Sport Band (2 pieces) and you keep your pin. I then give you my Small Blue Band (2 small pieces) and you give me your Large Black Band (2 large pieces).

When I want to wear my black band I would just switch out my pin from my blue band to my black band. Make sense?

forgot-username

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2015
Let's say I get a Blue Sport Band and you get a Black Sport Band. I have a Large wrist, you have a small wrist. I keep my Large Blue Band (2 pieces) and my 1 pin. You keep your Small Black Sport Band (2 pieces) and you keep your pin. I then give you my Small Blue Band (2 small pieces) and you give me your Large Black Band (2 large pieces).

When I want to wear my black band I would just switch out my pin from my blue band to my black band. Make sense?

The pin bit only comes in one size. There are three pieces to make two sizes. One pin piece and two "holes" pieces s/m and m/l. You'd never need to remove the pin or be able to make more bands.

Zakkates

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
Naperville, IL
The pin bit only comes in one size. There are three pieces to make two sizes. One pin piece and two "holes" pieces s/m and m/l. You'd never need to remove the pin or be able to make more bands.

I don't understand... are you agreeing that you'll be able to swap bands? Reusing one pin on multiple different band colors?

forgot-username

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2015
I don't understand... are you agreeing that you'll be able to swap bands? Reusing one pin on multiple different band colors?

If you buy an Apple Watch Sport or either the Stainless Steel or Gold with sport band you will receive the watch body and three pieces of band. One male (with pin) and two female (with holes) which will be different lengths.

So you have a black male and two black female pieces.
I have a blue male and two blue female pieces.
There is no way we could both have black AND blue bands as we between us only have one black and one blue male piece. You could swap one female for one female but your "second band" would be half black and half blue.

Clearer ?

Zakkates

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
Naperville, IL
Apple Watch Sport Band Comes in 3 pieces

If you buy an Apple Watch Sport or either the Stainless Steel or Gold with sport band you will receive the watch body and three pieces of band. One male (with pin) and two female (with holes) which will be different lengths.

So you have a black male and two black female pieces.
I have a blue male and two blue female pieces.
There is no way we could both have black AND blue bands as we between us only have one black and one blue male piece. You could swap one female for one female but your "second band" would be half black and half blue.

Clearer ?

Oh! I understand now. Apple Watch Sport Band Comes in 3 pieces. The pin is a separate piece. It pops out. So, you could pop your pin out of the blue band and put it into the black band.

forgot-username

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2015
Oh! I understand now. Apple Watch Sport Band Comes in 3 pieces. The pin is a separate piece. It pops out. So, you could pop your pin out of the blue band and put it into the black band.

What black band?

In your scenario you buy a watch with black sport band.
You receive a left piece which has the pin (which may or may not "pop out" and two right pieces which have the holes. I do the same with blue. The only thing you can send me is a single piece (the black small with holes) otherwise you no longer have a usable strap. There's nothing for me to pop the pin in. All the "left" pieces will already have a pin and you'll only ever have one "left" in a coliur.

Zakkates

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
Naperville, IL
Apple Watch - CAN'T SWITCH SPORT BANDS

What black band?

In your scenario you buy a watch with black sport band.
You receive a left piece which has the pin (which may or may not "pop out" and two right pieces which have the holes. I do the same with blue. The only thing you can send me is a single piece (the black small with holes) otherwise you no longer have a usable strap. There's nothing for me to pop the pin in. All the "left" pieces will already have a pin and you'll only ever have one "left" in a coliur.

Gasp! I'm an idiot... I see. When they say there's 3 pieces.... there are literally only 3 pieces in the box. ONE piece w/ the pin inside and then two varied length pieces to complete your band.

This cleared it up for me:
WatchBandSport.jpg

Source: http://www.redmondpie.com/apple-wat...-three-pieces-here’s-what-that-means-for-you/

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I have a question, but I don't want to open a thread for it.

If I include "free gift message" on my Apple Watch order, would that cause a delay? Meaning push dhe delivery date?

Thanks.

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
I know others have said it, but I wanted to take the time to express my gratitude as well. Very well done on this thread!
Thanks for posting!

forgot-username

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2015
Gasp! I'm an idiot... I see. When they say there's 3 pieces.... there are literally only 3 pieces in the box. ONE piece w/ the pin inside and then two varied length pieces to complete your band.

This cleared it up for me:

Source: http://www.redmondpie.com/apple-wat...-three-pieces-here’s-what-that-means-for-you/

Well a picture is worth a thousand words. :)
I'm looking forward to the explosion of 3rd party strap availability. Casetify looks like a cool option/service but would imagine (like iPhone cases) there'll be hundreds to choose from by June

Zakkates

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
Naperville, IL
Well a picture is worth a thousand words. :)
I'm looking forward to the explosion of 3rd party strap availability. Casetify looks like a cool option/service but would imagine (like iPhone cases) there'll be hundreds to choose from by June

Agreed. Can't wait to see what other companies come up with!

Amnak

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
My only concern is that my order says "preparing for shippment" but I haven't been charged. It been like that a few days too. Hopefully it'll still arrive on the 24th

Pasha13

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
Can buy watch in select locations IN PERSON

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/23/f...-arrives-in-stores-just-not-its-own.html?_r=0

----------

That means THIS is FALSE

"Can I buy the  WATCH in the store on the 24th? Is there in-store pickup?
No and no. There will be no in-store stock of the watch for at least the entire month of May, perhaps even longer depending on demand. The only way you can purchase a watch is through the Apple Online Store and having it delivered to your home or place of business. There is no in-store pickup available at this time."

payfields

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2013
Regarding presigning..... You can pre-sign, as i did.
You just have to jump on chat and ask to presign and they will email the form right to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.