Ready for 4.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Renfred93, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Renfred93 macrumors member

iphone has come a long way, and now with launch of 3Gs it finally has all the feautres of a regular cell phone! (ha...) There just so much, I don't see much room for improvement in software or hardware other than more memory, speed or a better camera, any one else have an idea of whats next?

2. muledogus macrumors 6502

Hardware wise, how cool (forget about how expensive) would a built in projector be? It could look like another headphone jack with a lense and beam video onto any surface.

3. PapaSmuffs macrumors newbie

LMAO. This was funny, makes me feel like Star Trek is soon to be real life....

4. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

they need to add customizable sounds....right after the headphone jack video projector...:rolleyes:

5. beegie macrumors regular

Does the new 3Gs iPhone only allow phone numbers in the address book, or can you actually put full mailing addresses with your contacts?

If it doesn't, then that's what the 4.0 needs...

(I'm wanting to throw out my decades-old hardcopy address book and put it into the cell phone... got 5 more days to decide whether to keep my new Nokia E71x -- no street addresses option in the Nokia --- or take it back and get the new iPhone 3Gs.... or now that I'm hearing about the 4.0, maybe I'll keep the Nokia and wait for the next model iPhone...)

Either way, do iPhones work like PDAs and have full address-book capability?

Thanks!

6. TheZimm macrumors 6502a

TheZimm

yup

7. Wailord macrumors 6502

You can add phone number and addresses in Contacts, if that's what you're asking.

8. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Probably not a 4.0 feature, I could see Apple putting this into 3.1 or 3.2. But here it is:

Would be nice if the dots on the bottom of the screen that represent the different pages lit up red to represent pages with apps that have a badge on them.

That way it would be easy to see if the AP app on page 4 had a new top story since I turn the alerts off and leave only the badges on.

What do you guys think?

9. kasakka macrumors 68000

There are tons of things you can add to contacts, from full address (even several different ones) to job titles, birthdays, notes etc.

As for the next iPhone, I imagine they might just cram it into a slightly smaller size, possibly with a higher resolution display. Reduced weight?

Realistically, the next one might have the upcoming ARM dual core processor which should give it quite a speed boost.

They might do away with the Home button to cut size, provided that the other components in that area can be crammed into smaller space, and instead have similar functionality in some multitouch or tapping function.

10. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

That is a decent idea!

11. DanielNTX macrumors 6502

I have full addresses, email addreses, im info and notes on my 2G and ipod touch via GoogleSync. So it allows all that.

12. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

Btw, what is a badge?

13. boca76 macrumors member

14. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

I feel there is a lot of room for improvement. Overall, I love the iPhone, but I still feel a major disconnect from my information. The iPhone is a very closed system, almost like a game console in a sense. I can't quite put my finger on it.

15. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

How about just a simple function to allow us to change the dang background picture......on the springboard..

16. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

through push notification, when an app gets a notification you have the option to have it display a number on a red badge/pin looking thing with how many notifications are active for that app. that way you can see if an app needs your attention from the home screen

17. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

Jailbreak ---> Winterboard

18. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Not only do they offer full address-book capability, but iPhones bring cool stuff to the table. See an address on a contact? Tap it and it brings it up in Google Maps so you can find out how to get there/how far it is away. See an email address? Tap it and you're composing an email in seconds.

19. boca76 macrumors member

Sending contact information by sms.
    If I am right it's only possible via MMS or e-mail at the moment.

20. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Very ready

I will be pre-ordering the minute it is announced

Am skipping 3GS to get this!

21. matttye macrumors 601

Little tid bits to bring it up to date with other phones: -

1. Ability to save SMS message drafts.

2. SMS message folders.

3. A character counter so you know how many message units your SMS will take up, and how many characters you have left before you will use another unit. Like this:

[​IMG]

Look at the 160 (1) - that means 160 chars left (1 text used)

4. Ability to send an SMS to a group.

5. Ability to manage photos, groups, etc, from within the phone itself. The phone should also sync folders. I have my photos sorted into folders on the PC, I don't want an unorganised mess on my phone.

6. Send files by bluetooth.

7. Background app support. There is NO reason for apple not to include this. If I want to run 50 apps that run my battery down in an hour then that should be my choice.

8. Delivery report handling. The latest Nokias file delivery reports away in their own little folder so that they don't waste space in your inbox.

9. Themes. I know apple pride themselves on design, but for gods sake give us the ability to customise the look and feel of the phone! I would like, at the very least, to choose my own wallpaper.

10. Widget support. This could be implemented in the same way as spotlight. Swipe to a special homescreen that has widgets. Apple could do more with this and allow multiple pages of widgets - when on a widget homescreen you need to swipe to get to a normal one, and when on a normal one you need to swipe to get to a widget one.

11. Ability to sync/download whatever you like in a custom user folder, so the iPhone can be used like a usb stick.

12. Ability to select any sound file for message alert tones.

13. Ability to select any sound file for ring tones without having to do all of that .m4a to .m4r conversion malarky.

iPhone unique features: -

1. Apple filed a patent for a feature that increases the size of everything on the display when the phone is in motion. This would be extremely useful if you were, for example, running on the treadmill - it is hard to hit small buttons when you're running.

2. Non-destructive video editing. You might want to clip a small portion of a video without losing the original!

3. Wireless syncing please. My WiFi connection is more than capable of sending me a few gigs of music. It would be much better to not have to plug the phone in.

4. Let us send a video no matter what size it is. What's the reason for chopping a video above a certain size? Dont most iPhone plans come with unlimited data?

5. Enable emoji for everyone.

And that's just the software :D

The only reason I got rid of my iPhone 2G was the lack of basic features like forwarding messages, copy/paste etc, and the absolutely poor speakers! I couldn't have a conversation on the bus, or walking alongside a road, because the speaker was poor. 3G isn't that much better I hear?

22. nutmac macrumors 68040

After playing with Palm's WebOS (Pre), I think Apple has some work cut out for them. Specifically:
    • Improve notification UI: Current dialog box style notification is a joke. It's disruptive and there's no way to review previous notifications.
    • Home page; Current home page implementation isn't very efficient for organizing (or finding an app among) several dozen apps. And it needs an page to indicate some of the recent notifications (e.g., email, SMS/MMS, push messages, IMs), and upcoming activities.
    • iChat: currently, social activities such as IM, twitter, facebook are handled by individual apps. But WebOS demonstrates how having them integrated, particularly into address book, can greatly improves user experience.
    • Background apps: clearly, current iPhone hardware cannot handle running too many background apps at once. But some apps just need to run in the background. Apple, figure it out.
    • Wireless syncing: iPhone has all the necessary hardware for wireless syncing.
    • Status bar: currently, iPhone's top status bar is purely informational. WebOS has interactive status bar that can be used to enable/disable Bluetooth, WiFi.
    • UI refresh: although iPhone OS is still beautiful, it could use a bit of update to keep things fresh.
    • Non-crippled Calendar and Contact. Calendar needs landscape mode with weekly view, and allow one to change calendar type. Contact should sync every single fields.
    • Unified email inbox. Better search.
    • Optional password prompt when downloading free apps.
    • And other hardware updates, such as 64 GB flash storage, multi-core ARM processor, 802.11n WiFi, OLED screen, Bluetooth 3.0, HDMI video/audio output support

23. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

@matttye

What was the point of that post? I'm not trying to be annoying or anything, I just have on idea where that fits in for what we're talking about.

24. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

• Agree.

Don't care, I use spotlight.

They should add this to the lock screen.

The iPhone has the new cortex A8. Same as the pre. With a more refined OS.

Would be nice, but USB takes long enough.

I think they should, but I don't know if they need it.

25. matttye macrumors 601

Umm... From the OP:

I listed what I would like in the next version of the software, as for me it is not as "complete" as the OP thinks.