Ready to go back to PC due to keyboard issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eric8199, May 24, 2019.

1. Eric8199, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019

Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I'm on my third MacBook with the butterfly keyboards. I had a 2015 MacBook, have a 2016 MacBook Pro 13" and a 2017 MacBook Pro 15". The 12" and 13" have both had keyboards replaced. Today I had an issue with my 15" key sticking. I was able to pop they key off and use some canned air to get the dirt out. I was super gentle with the air as I know there's that little sticker on the LED backlight that can come off. Sure enough, that sticker blew off anyway. Now it wont' restick, so I have uneven lighting on my key.

I'm sick of this. I'm going to have to send my computer back to Apple because of a freaking sticker. I wouldn't care, but I paid $2400 for this computer a little more than a year ago and now I've got a screwed up key. I live more than three hours from an Apple Store, so I have to send my computer in. It will be gone for several days, of which time I cannot do my job that this computer is required for.

Anyone have a solution to get this thing to stick so I don’t need to lose my computer for a week?

2. Eric8199 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone have a solution to get that little black sticker or whatever it is to stay on the LED so I don’t need to send this in for repair?

3. acorntoy, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019

acorntoy macrumors 65816

Was wrong since 2017 was still gen 2.

Best advice would be to ask Apple for a replacement with the new keyboard (either 2018 or 2019), explain all the issues you've had with the keyboards in the past, and explain how it's hurting your livelihood. I believe you may have voided the warranty however by prying off the key yourself.

4. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Flying over the rainforest at dawn - Priceless
    At this point who can be surprised...

Q-6

5. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Try to pick up a 2015 MBP which still has a normal keyboard. No need to flee Macs just yet!

6. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Go ahead and enjoy an operating system without Finder Labels, without easy tagging, messy HDR support, poor colour profile management, no Quick Look, half a dozen control panels just to change a few settings, a file manager stuck in the early 2000s, a messy file finder, a Start Menu search function that sometimes can't find apps you have listed in it, sees all attached monitors as 'Generic Plug and Play monitor', etc.

You might get chunkier keyboard that fits your personality type, better GPU support and games, but that's all.

We use Macs because they save us time. The keyboards you complain about are there to teach us to conserve energy and motion and be more efficient. Those who don't like the keyboards are either forceful people who don't understand the design philosophy, or they are sheepishly obeying some online noise that was created by the competition's sock puppets.

7. chabig macrumors 603

You can use any external USB or Bluetooth keyboard with your computer.

8. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

All I could suggest would be some low tack brush on adhesive. Brush on Krazy Glue sounds like it is overkill. Then try a keyboard cover to keep dirt out.

This MOSISO cover is pretty slick and shows a bunch of Finder commands.

9. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

As are you fast becoming a "Sock Puppet" for Apple o_O Personally I use the OS that meets my professional need. Sadly there's reason why Mac's are ridiculed in the general computing community...

Q-6

10. SalisburySam macrumors member

SalisburySam

@Eric8199, I empathize. For those of us looking for a keyboard to accomplish work and not just to appreciate a questionable design philosophy, the butterfly is laughable. My 2008 and 2012 MBP’s had decent keyboards for a fast, not necessarily hard, touch-typist and I expected to get a 2016. I tried the “new, improved” keyboard in an Apple Store and figured I’d wait a year for it to be fixed. Here now with the 2019’s out and iFixit reporting only subtle improvement, I guess it is still not something I want. I certainly didn’t want the 2017 nor 2018 MBP’s when they were available to try.

So some options:

1- If under AppleCare, have Apple fix it. You might get the “subtlety improved” 2019 keyboard version. At the very least it is tangible evidence to Apple of another keyboard failure of sorts that they will have to make right on their dime. But for what a MBP costs, yours should be working as well as anyone else’s, keyboard and all. Yes, you’re without a computer for a while.
    2- If under AppleCare, have Apple fix it. This time, make an appointment and take the 3-hour drive to the Apple Store for repairs. If they can repair it there, you’ve only wasted a day without the MBP instead of a couple of weeks, and of course your mileage and fuel costs. If they can’t repair it onsite, you’re back to waiting a couple of weeks again.
    3- If not under AppleCare and you don’t care either, get a separate wired or wireless keyboard that you like.
    4- Do what I did: I gave up on the MBP entirely. My heavy-duty computing is done on my 2017 27” 5K iMac with a keyboard I like. My portable computing is done on my iPadPro. The Logitech keyboard/case I have for the iPadPro is a far, far better feeling keyboard with significantly better performance to me than the recent MBP keyboards.

Obviously keyboards are more important to me than they are for most, and while the keyboard alone will not entice me to buy a certain model, it will entice me to NOT buy one. Still like the Apple ecosystem though, just not certain parts of it.

Let us know what you do, and why please.

11. kp98077 macrumors 6502a

kp98077

you can borrow my other laptop, my HP piece of crud... lol.. PCs are just slow, clunky and not well thought out...

12. StralyanPithecus macrumors regular

StralyanPithecus

Typical Apple fanturds answers to the OP problem.

I recommend you not to do anything more to the MBP and send it for repair after you explain to Apple all your troubles with the keyboard. Just don’t tell them you picked the key and let them repair under the Apple Keyboard warranty. After that my recommendation is to sell it and, or buy a iMac mini (the regular iMacs have a stupid and slow Fusion Drive, which in reality is a small ssd drive and an old technology slow 4500 rpm Hard Drive), or go for a windows computer. I understand your frustration, I will feel the same if I have to be a couple of weeks without my mac for a stupid keyboard key.

As for me, as I said in another post, I never had any kind of keyboard problems with my MBP 2017 or my macbook 2017.

13. pshufd macrumors 6502a

Ummm. How do broken keyboards save time?

14. Mendota macrumors 6502

Mendota

Well Macs don't save me time, and I find using different folders far more efficient than Finder which I actually hate. It is the one that is stuck in time. But at the end of the day, people are more efficient with what they are familiar with, So for me it is Windows, Linux, Mac... At least Windows doesn't hide settings from you as MacOS does... And what does personality have to do with Keyboards? And I think someone such as yourself should be very careful using the word "sheep".
    --- Post Merged, May 24, 2019 ---
    PC's are not slow or clunky, and all of them have keyboards that work, screens that don't peel, not subject to constant reboots, and many are upgradable. HP makes laptops at all price points, so if you bought a low end one that is on you. Next time pay as much for the PC as you do the Mac.

15. kp98077 macrumors 6502a

kp98077

--- Post Merged, May 24, 2019 ---
    …….

16. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

Not to mention the time it is gone for repair. That's a real time saver :rolleyes:

17. pshufd macrumors 6502a

At the end of the day, Apple’s butterfly keyboard has a much bigger flaw, one that this model’s tweaks cannot fix: too many people have simply lost faith in this design. Apple could theoretically combat that loss of trust with more candor, but it certainly hasn’t been forthcoming thus far. Getting the company to even admit that there might be a problem has been a years-long process.

When it comes to consumer trust in Apple’s butterfly keyboards, different materials won’t make a material difference.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/24/...brane-metal-fatigue-materials-ifixit-teardown

18. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

I have had issues with the 2018’s to be sure. A couple of them keyboard related, including the current one. Also have paint chipping off a couple of keys and my nails are almost down to the quick, so it definitely isn’t from fingernails hitting the keys. They are simply poorly made and unreliable junk. Really a poor showing on a computer costing over $4K

19. Eric8199 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I baby these things, clean the keyboards literally daily. And I’ve still been unable to avoid the issues.

I do have Applecare, as I bought it because of the keyboard issues I had with my previous two.

20. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

21. c0ppo macrumors 65816

c0ppo

And if your display stops working due to flexgate, don't panic.
    Just use external display.

:rolleyes:

22. Queen6, May 25, 2019
    Last edited: May 25, 2019

Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

The MBP is fast becoming a joke, all thx to Apple's arrogance :rolleyes:

Q-6
    --- Post Merged, May 25, 2019 ---
    Yeah they are all slow :rolleyes:
    3100CB (No Taskbar).jpg Even the new i9 MBP cant touch this 8th Gen base 8750H as it has adequate power & cooling. Think you'll find it's Mac's that are slower in reality and what's not well thought out is the POS keyboard that Apple insists on inflicting on it's customers as it's too arrogant to admit the design is a flop...

Q-6

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Do what I did, sell the computer and buy a PC that has better build quality and better keyboards.

Its a sad state of affairs that people are recommending a 4 year old computer just to stay in the ecosystem. I get why you're recommending, but its still sad.

LOL, you seem to be so fixated on the Finder with labels. Yes that's a neat feature, and yet Windows has many apps that allow you to work in a similar fashion. I know that macOS is the perfect OS for you, and all other platforms are inferior but believe it not, many of us are quite efficient and productive

Its hard to save time when the you constantly have to retype something due to the keyboard not working and/or sending it for repair multiple times.

24. m00min macrumors 6502

Yep, this is pretty much where I’m coming from. Last year I needed to upgrade my laptop. I tend to buy the top spec and hold onto a machine for five years or so, my MBA was overdue as it was then six years and counting. I wanted to buy a new Pro but I couldn’t knowingly spend my own money, not to mention my time when the keyboard packs up.

It doesn’t matter what new tweak Apple applies to these keyboards, for me they are a big red flag. I will not buy an Apple laptop with this iteration of keyboard. They’ve joined iPhones on my “overpriced rubbish, form over function” list produced by Apple.