REAL innovation

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by teknikal90, Oct 29, 2012.

1. teknikal90, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012

teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

I am part of Apple's ecosystem. MacBook, iPhone, iPad, apple tv
    Don't want to leave because of how seamless it is.
    BUT check this!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=66-4uMQqerA

I mean come on! That video makes the apple software team look lazy! What have they been doing with their time???

Fine a lot of those features I don't care about. But at least they innovate, make something new! From things like making the camera settings more efficient, to the widgets on the main screen with the shazam-like functionality....cmon they beat apple hands down if we can be honest! How has apple constantly made their system better?
    I'm finding it harder and harder to believe that Apple's in this for the win!

2. Feltzem macrumors regular

I agree to some extent, little touches like the two finger swipe down for quick settings look really useful and intuitive. Android may have started out by taking heavy inspiration from iOS, but I think it's time Apple started incorporating features that are now in Android. Hopefully with this executive shakeup and Ive in charge of the UI, that'll start to happen.

3. laxman101 macrumors regular

This makes me really want a Nexus 4. Apple really has been falling behind and focusing on the wrong things, especially with iOS. This is all coming from a pretty die hard fan.

4. athenaesword macrumors newbie

I agree. In terms of shortcuts iOS is not quick at all to navigate around the phone. Especially with animation, it makes accessing and making vital changes on the fly that much slower

5. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68030

teknikal90

I can finally concede that android is now a better os than ios. Not just a matter of preference anymore. It's more mature.

6. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

Yes and no. If Android was the same no matter which phone you picked up, then it would be solid. The issue I always had with it is the stupid little phone specific/carrier specific apps that get preinstalled and make the phone look and feel like crap.

I had a Galaxy S before and liked everything except for that. I don't feel that you should have to root/JB your phone just to get rid of bloatware.

7. zbarvian macrumors 68010

I feel like Android excels at advanced features, but is really lacking at basic user experience. That's probably the inherent trade-off.

8. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68030

teknikal90

I still believe apple's got the right approach with simple ease of use
    But for innovation, android kills. They bring out TONNES of new features each update. You can tell they work on their os. Albeit in the wrong direction at times.
    Ios on the other hand feels neglected

9. ReValveiT macrumors regular

I like how they sit and talk modestly about genuinely new features rather than stand on stage bragging about the same-old same-old to thunderous applause for 90 minutes...

(yes we get it's thinner, we get it's lighter. Tell us something new eh?).

10. jacobss macrumors 6502

That video really made me think, my next phone won't be an iPhone!!

11. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

:rolleyes:

Any new feature Apple add are "Gimmicks" and any new feature "Android" add are innovations.

Apple can do no wrong, eh.

12. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68030

teknikal90

wait..which side are you on?? ha

13. EnderTW macrumors 6502

My experience on Android has been with pentile screens and not glass rgb, nothing compares with iPhone's glass. This isn't Android's fault more Samsung, but Google needs to have more control on the hardware side so their brand isn't devalued by cheap "feeling" hardware. When I hold an iPhone it feels premium, it feels indestructible, even if it isn't, it's the feeling. Until Google learns this, they're not going to convince soccer moms and regular joes to switch.

Second problem I have is the app experience. Android is great but you can tell a lot of the applications are developed for iOS first and then ported over to android. I'll give you two examples, one being Marco's Instapaper. He doesn't develop it, instead he outsources it to another company.

Second example is the ally banking app on Android. For some reason I can't paste passwords into my password. I used a 1password like app on android which kept my very long and confusing passwords stored safely, however I couldn't paste the password. on iOS I can.

14. MMOTotal macrumors regular

You make it sound like a real war where people die etc. It's a tool. Think of Android or iOS as an advanced hammer or something.

15. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

I would agree, i just really hate that there is no LTE on the Nexus 4.

But here's my thinking, the next Galaxy S phone will have at least 4.2 on it meaning that is what i'm aiming for.

I think this right here is probably the last straw for my relationship with Apple Phones. Apple just dropped Forstall and they just seem like aren't really sure where they are at with iOS where as Google just keeps doing awesome things like this!!!

16. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Android may have more bells and whistles, but the apps themselves aren't nearly as well developed. Keynote - nothing as good on Android. Noteshelf, Penultimate, Evernote - all better on iOS. iCloud for syncing documents is better at this point than Google Drive, which isn't even supported on many Andoid apps. Even the Comcast/Xfinity apps are better on iOS. And I have a Galaxy S3 running Cyanogen 10, so I have direct experience.

Android and Android apps could one day be better. And I'll be first to switch if/when that happens. But until then, I need more than just a laundry list of bells and whistles.

17. evorc macrumors 6502

evorc

This is why Forstall is out! Expect new things.

18. marc11 macrumors 68000

LOL, hit the nail on the head. I remember when they announced iOS 6 and said you can now turn blue tooth off and on from the main settings screen and there was a roar of applause...really, THAT'S A FEATURE? And one to get excited about?

iOS is great in some ways but it has not really progressed in a long time; minor new features, often half baked and incomplete or just warmed over and tweaked same old same old.

Android 4.2 is taking it right to iOS, now if Google can get control of the devices and carriers they may be on to something that should concern Apple. I see the Nexus 7, 10 and 4 as huge steps in that direction.

19. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Just because a new feature no one cares about or has a use for exists, it doesn't mean an OS is better because it has it.

That is called "bloat".

20. buddybd macrumors 6502

This reminds me of the moment when Schiller was on stage talking about iBooks 3.0 and he went "we have a revolutionary new feature in the new iBooks....continuous scrolling". Expected applause but didn't get much lol.

21. atticus27 macrumors regular

atticus27

22. marc11 macrumors 68000

Oh yeah right, I remember thinking how awkward because he paused and there was the short moment of silence that just seemed odd.

----------

I would not call it bloat; just because you do not care about the feature doesn't make it bloat as you cannot quantify other users feelings. I see bloat as the inclusion of optional add ons that people can choose to install on their own if they so choose but are stuck in there anyway with no option. For example, the late Ping in iTunes, it should be an optional install, not made mandatory, or font/language packages that install when most people only use one or two of them, yet we have no choice but to have them all installed. That is bloat, making the program needlessly large.

Bloat is one of those other words people like to use too often to explain everything, the others are "bricked" and "laggy"...

23. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Apple has tried to pretty much pull as much as possible in house. It's a different design theory than the one described in that video. Regarding ecosystems, have you researched solutions between an Android phone and your Mac?

24. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68030

teknikal90

No I haven't no, it's difficult?

25. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

That was really a good video. I've been wanting to get a 7 inch tablet for reading (mostly) because my iPad 2 just seems too big. No Retina on the iPad Mini was a deal breaker for me, so I'm beginning to look at the Nexus 7. And I won't take this decision lightly. I'm heavily entrenched into the Apple ecosystem. But maybe buying a 7 inch tablet is not such a big scary step out of it. It's a non-essential device, something to play around on and I'll get to see what Android is all about. I'm not really to give up the iPhone ecosystem though (at least not yet).

I particularly like the lock-screen widgets. I can't tell how many times I hear a song playing and have to scramble to open Shazam, from starting at the lock screen, only to have the song finished by the time I open Shazam. Plus, I like the easy accessibility of things like the WiFi or Bluetooth toggle. These are the types of feature that simplify my mobile device use.