Really considering i4 switch to HTC Inspire..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thadoggfather, Apr 14, 2011.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Convince me out of it.

I've heard battery life is bad but they say that about iPhone 4 too and I make it fit my needs to get me through the day.

I must say I used to switch phones all the time before I got first gen iPhone, then I sold and got a BB Curve to hold me over while I waited for 3G to release, I hated that thing. So then 3G, 3GS, 4. Haven't tried anything else.

Android has been very tempting but lack of AT&T selection made it an easy no.

Now its $399 no contract/$99 on contract for a phone with a faster CPU and 4.3" screen. No retina display, but I Just got the ipad (first gen clearance) and its not retina either but sufficient and impressive on its own.

Really considering this. Especially since I still have an iOS device now. And if I sold iPhone 4 and got HTC Inspire off contract, I'd still be fine and eligible for iPhone 5 if that's incredible and knocks the socks off of everything. But I might want to play with one first before making drastic decisions. Been with iPhone for a few gens now and haven't looked at much else.

I think the competition is seriously heating up regardless.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm interested in trying out something new as well. I like the Inspire, but I like the Nexus S even more, so I'm hoping it comes to AT&T. I'm still waiting to hear what is going to happen at WWDC to see if there is any new OS or phone. I'm probably going to stick with iPhone, but the options are tempting. The iPhone 4 is almost a year old though, compared to some phones which have only been out for a few months, so I still believe that iOS/iPhone 5 will be just as interesting.

3. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

How much content do you have in iTunes? Have you purchased much music, movies or apps from iTMS etc.?

From my experience, most Android devices will at least give you a better appreciation for the iPhone's battery life.. But honestly, if you aren't heavily invested in iTunes. And you have the means and desire to jump from device to device, I don't see a reason not to give it a try and then come back to the iPhone 5 or whatever...

4. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Ive been thinking about it too. Especially with how many problems the 4 has. But then again, its so simple to replace the 4. But the replacements are bad quality in my opinion.

Listen to this. My sister got a Blackberry Curve with NO 3G last year. It broke so she took it to Best buy, they stopped making that model so they gave her a Blackberry Curve 3G!

Yesterday her 3G broke, and they gave her a brand new Blackberry Torch! Amazing by Best Buy.

5. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

When did anyone ever say the iPhone 4 battery was bad.

Nobody ever said that.

If you have to make it work for you, then you will be really disappointed with the Inspire.

I think the best way to convince you to stay with the iPhone 4 is for you to get and use a HTC Inspire.

6. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Its rather ironic that you talk about "all the problems the 4 has" only to follow it up with actual failures of the BB products.

Outside of all of the worthless hype regarding antenna gate, what "problems" does the 4 have?

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Indeed, but if you thinking of getting a phone from AT&T, keep one thing in mind. They lock the phone down, so that you cannot side load any apps, i.e., apps not from marketplace.

Secondly, what do you use the phone for, specifically do you have a lot of music from itunes. There's apps to help ease the syncing but they're not as easy as itunes + iPhone. If you're fairly immersed in apple ecosystem, syncing images from iPhoto/aperture to your phone, music, etc. Then android may not be a good fit.

I like android, I used a nexus one, then a droidx and there a lot of positives, but there are some negatives. You need to weigh the strengths of android against your needs.

8. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Remember that all music purchased in the last two years is DRM free and therefor Android-friendly.

They don't block the install feature of the Android Debug Bridge, so it's not that big of a deal (unless you're not near a computer).

9. jduff macrumors newbie

I would personally say try it. I have had every iPhone since the very first day they were released and yet I still had the itch to try android. I had a Droid X for 6 months, didn't get the hype and moved back to the iPhone 4.

Phone choice isn't much different than any preference in life, different things work for different people. I would never discourage someone from trying something new! :)

10. kicko macrumors 65816

I dont know anyone with an android device that hasn't said the battery life is bad, myself included.

Now on an iphone 4 i can easily make it through the day.

11. DroidRules macrumors 65816

I always get a chuckle out of these kind of posts..... why would we care what phone you're using and why would we care to talk you out of it? I say make the move then you can post up in the HTC forums how you're thinking of making the switch to i5 and how they should try and talk you out of it.

12. ScottBGKY macrumors member

I recently went thru the same process. Bought a HTC Inspire off contract for $399 from AT&T and gave my iPhone 4 to my wife. I absolutely loved the Inspire. Huge beautiful screen and after rooting and installing a custom ROM I had great battery life. The Sense UI HTC overlays on Android really covers up most of my biggest complaints I have had with Android. In the end however I came back to an iPhone 4 via a trade on Craigslist. The quality of apps, while improving, still lags behind on Android. Plus a good portion of the new quality apps always come to iOS first. If only Apple would give me a 4" iPhone I'd be in heaven.

I will say this, I would have no problem using the Inspire as my daily phone if I didn't have the option to switch back. I actually managed to do a couple of trades and ended back up with an iPhone 4 and $100 in my pocket. I trade phones too much.

13. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Buy it, use it, see how it goes.

Most likely you'll be back.

14. sotorious macrumors 6502a

I dont see why you guys would stick to 1 device the entire time, you dont like it next update you go right back. I am in search of trying the iphone now and returning back to android after a year or so, maybe after iphone even try Windows phone 7, its nice to have options and if you leave for a little they will still be there.

Edit: also as far as battery life I have a nexus one over a year old and can still go 2 days. Although i am not on my phone ALL DAY.

15. CrockettGTO macrumors regular

For what it's worth. This is my experience throughout the last year. This is only my experiences and my opinion. I agree with others, if you are interested in switching, more power to ya.
    I was an original gen iPhone owner. Loved it, but data was painfully slow and upgraded to the 3G as soon as my first contract was up. That's when my problems began. Being on ATT right after making the move to the 3G, I started dropping calls at an alarming rate of 8-10 a day, sometimes more. It didn't matter where I was, driving, sitting at home with full signal strength, outdoors etc.

I spent countless hours getting the runaround from the ATT store, saying it was a phone issue, then to Apple who would run diagnostics and confirm it was a cell service problem. Apple even swapped my phone, same experience.

ATT then released their app called "mark the spot" which allows you to log the disconnect with GPS so they can "investigate". I kid you not, I logged over 100 instances before I gave up. Through the many hours of service calls to ATT I was able to convince them to waive the ETF and let both my wife and I out of our contract (she was experiencing the same issues but wasn't as interested in spending hours and hours troubleshooting and getting tossed from one ATT phone queue to another)

We then made the switch to Big Red, which didn't have iPhone as an option at the time. We both got the HTC Droid Incredible. I must say the phone has excellent features, superb screen, 8MP camera with 1080p video, 1GHz Snapdragon, and many other cool capabilities. Most importantly we never dropped calls anymore. Specifically, I dropped only one, maybe two calls on VZ over the course of the last year.

This however was not an easy transition. It reminded me of my first few weeks switching from a Windows to OSX environment, fumbling around. I had to re-learn many features, short cuts and navigation behaviors. Most of them paled in comparison with regards to the ease of use and the intuitive nature of the iPhone.

There is however, the nicety of being able to tweak, have custom icons, widgets, change lock screens, install third party applications etc. all without having to root/jailbreak. This is really about the extent of it. The music players are most all subpar compared to the iPhone, whenever there is a new release of the OS, you are at the mercy of the phone manufacturer when you will get it (unless you root).
    Most manufacturers have their own UI that is overlaid on top of the plain Android OS. HTC has "Sense", Motorola has "Blur", LG and Samsung also have their own flavor. Most all of these are slow, add overhead and in some cases buggy. IMO, "Sense" is the best out them all and is actually palatable.
    Next is the fact that I am primarily Mac equipped, MacBook at home, iPad first Gen, MacBook Air for work etc. When I got my HTC last year I didn't have the Air for work, but none the less, HTC's syncing solution is horrible. HTC has no real solution for Mac users. It really reinforces how transparent it is syncing between iPhone and PC/Mac. Needless to say I just ordered my iPhone 4 on VZ and it is supposed to be here Monday. Now I have to sync my contacts and calendar to Gmail and then set up exchange to get them transferred to the iPhone or manually transfer them to the Mac to sync with the the iPhone.

16. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

I was not mentioning anything about Blackberry or implying that BB is better. I was just saying a funny story of how my sister gets a new and improved one through Best Buy everytime hers stops working.

My 4 has battery issues, My first one I got through launch, speaker stopped working, my 2nd mic broke, my 3rd 4th 5th all had brown yellowed screens. Now my 6th has a clicking sound and the glass has come loose.

I never replaced my 2G once, neither my 3G or 3GS EVER. I still have my 3GS from launch that works flawlessly.

You can say Im picky, but im not. Ever since the 4, its had nothing but problems.

And Im sure people will comment saying "My 4 has hit the my car, dropped from 6 feet, stepped by my cat and still no scratches."
    I still love my Apple products though.

17. ap3604 macrumors 68000

LoL so true :)

I've had alot of Android devices before coming back to the iPhone. Android phones are replaced by the next best thing so quicky its scary how fast the resale value drops :eek:

For me I am sticking with iOS for the:
    - Bluetooth keyboard support
    - Netflix streaming
    - Navigon app (I prefer this more than google maps navigation and it doesn't require data. The Android version of this app is complete crap)
    - First dibs on all the best applications (see: Netflix, Navigon, etc)
    - Better battery life
    - Best camera sensor in the business
    - Not being tied up like a pig by the manufacturer for Android updates
    - High resale value

To each his own though...

18. rocknrolldoggy macrumors member

I currently have the iPhone 4 (4.3.1 with 1.59.00bb jailbroken) as my main driver. I also own the Inspire, Moto Atrix, Dell Streak, Nexus S (with 850/1900 3G), Nokia E7 and Nokia N8.

The apps are what keeps me with the iPhone as main. I could manage with any of these devices. I'd have to add that without the JB, I'd like the iPhone a lot less. Lockinfo and SB settings alone make it so much better. I wish Apple hired David Ashman, or just bought the rights to Lockinfo for general release.

Battery life is better on the iPhone 4 than any of the Android devices I've used.

19. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Market enabler takes care of that.
    And if all else fails, Super One Click to root and then enable side loading.
    No ADB required after that.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I dont feel like posting on this thread, please talk me out of it. :D

21. gslrider macrumors 6502

gslrider

Check the forums here, and on the Apple site. You'll find hundreds of posts about fast battery drain after upgrading the iOS. I had that issue with 3 x 3GS after I updated to iOS 4.0. Finally upgraded to the iP4 running 4.1 and no battery issue. But I've read those with iP4s who updated to 4.2.1 started getting battery issues, and even after updating to 4.3.1 are still having them. It's a hit and a miss for people.

As for the OP, the iP5 is coming out this fall. It will sport a duo-core processor and larger storage memory, so it'll be faster than the iP4. Plus it will have an 8MP camera and still have the retina display. The retina display is incredible. I haven't seen that kind of quality on any smartphone out there. Some come close, but not close enough.

22. walie macrumors 6502a

incorrect

23. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

24. gslrider macrumors 6502

gslrider

What makes you say that? I haven't seen any other smartphone camera that is better than the iP5. Like the displays, some come close, but still not as good. If you have reference to another phone, please post the model. I'm very curious to see the difference.

Thanks.

25. infidel69 macrumors regular

I don't know about the Inspire but with the Atrix you can remove the bloatware no hacks required. Sideloading is easily accomplished by rooting which takes 2 minutes. If you don't want to root your phone you can use a program like wonderloader which works great on a stock phone. What it comes down to is the user and the phone model since both platforms have little advantage over the others these days.